As with these articles l have posted recently with regard to the NSA, this one from ZDNet caught my eye! As it relates to people who fear what might ,could happen and what they are told, will happen! If they are not protected from the ever-present danger of terrorism!
The part that was in my opinion most relevant has been copied, pasted ,highlighted and in bold below:
What pushes our buttons is fear. We’re afraid that something we do, something we say, or even that we know someone will cause the full might and power of the U.S. government to descend down upon us and ruin our lives.
Most of us are generally law-abiding. Oh, sure. We might speed up to 66 in a 65-mile zone to get out-of-the-way of a nutball driver. We might still have one or two MP3s from the early Napster days, but we’ve bought all our music like good consumers ever since. We pay our taxes and while H&R Block might make an error, we’ll pay any fees if we’re required to.
Most of us are good citizens. And yet. What if the government is listening in, or watching, or scanning, and some algorithm triggers an investigation and some quota-happy g-man decides to make one of us a pet project?
So how much of these so-called security measures does the public have to endure in the name of protecting our interests, and how much is fabricated to allow a public to fear, what might happen! My personal view is, if you have enough people who are lemmings, with the right tools and in this case words, you can get many to jump of the cliff!
By the way it is a great article to read in full and l highly recommend the writer!
- NSA: fear of a black van (zdnet.com)
- ZDNetGovWeek: NASDAQ hacked, Huawei whines, and yet more NSA (zdnet.com)
- ZDNetGovWeek: Don’t tell me you thought we’d be done with NSA stories (zdnet.com)
- More details emerge on Kim Dotcom’s NSA-proof email service (news.yahoo.com)
- VPN Subscriptions on the Rise Fueled by Fear of NSA and SOPA (news.softpedia.com)
- Gollum Silicon Valley NSA PRISM Money Ties, Kim Dotcom Puts NZ Hobbits On the Case (anewdomain.net)
- BlackBerry first to secure US DOD device management approval – ZDNet (blog) (newestgadgetsinfo.com)
- More Consequences From Broad NSA Surveillance: Germany Government Technologists Consider Windows 8 Too Dangerous (ivebeenmugged.typepad.com)
- India’s BlackBerry monitoring system ‘ready for use’ – ZDNet (newestgadgetsinfo.com)