We welcome the League of Arab States’ strong endorsement of the Geneva II process and their support for the Syrian National Coalition, who we recognise as the sole legitimate representatives of the Syrian people.
We agree with the League that Geneva II is necessary to end to this bloody conflict and secure a transition to a sustainable political settlement in Syria, where there will be no place for Assad.
We share the League’s deep concern at the dire humanitarian situation and the need urgently to improve humanitarian access. We call on all parties to comply with the UN Security Council’s Presidential Statement on humanitarian access. The Assad regime continues to obstruct efforts by humanitarian actors to meet the needs of the millions of Syrians suffering displacement and deprivation. This is unacceptable. It must stop.
- Statement by UK Ambassador Lyall Grant to the Security Council Open Debate on the Middle East (acenewsservices.com)
- Friends of #Syria Meeting to be Hosted in London#Peace (acenewsservices.com)
- Kurdish parties in Syria wish to take part in Geneva II (worldbulletin.net)
- Arab League called on Syrian National Coalition to attend Geneva II (nsnbc.me)
- Russia says Iran must be invited to Geneva-2 (worldbulletin.net)