#AceWorldNews says a federal judge in Boston today set a November trial date for Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, the young man accused in the Boston Marathon bombings.
Those attending the hearing today included bombing survivor Marc Fucarile, who is on crutches.
The hearing came just days after prosecutors and defense attorneys filed a status report that revealed major differences in the timeline they envisioned for the case. The date set by the judge came closer to what prosecutors had requested. Prosecutors had previously requested the trial begin sometime this fall, the US attorney’s office said.
Tsarnaev, 20, is facing numerous charges in the April 15 terror bombings that killed three people and wounded more than 260 others.
Tsarnaev and his brother, Tamerlan, 26, also allegedly killed an MIT police officer in Cambridge a few days later as they sought to flee the area. Tamerlan Tsarnaev was killed in a confrontation with police in Watertown several hours later.
Later the same day, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was captured, hiding in a boat in Watertown. Authorities say he had been inspired by Al Qaeda publications and had allegedly scrawled in a note on the boat that he had acted because the US government was killing “our innocent civilians.”
Prosecutors and lawyers for Boston Marathon suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev are headed to court to discuss a trial date and a pretrial schedule. A status hearing in the case is scheduled for Wednesday in US District Court. Tsarnaev’s lawyers have asked for a trial date no earlier than September 2015. Prosecutors have said they hope to have the trial this fall.
The 20-year-old Tsarnaev is charged with carrying out a terrorist attack that killed three people and injured more than 260.
Prosecutors allege that he and his brother, Tamerlan, planted two homemade pressure cooker bombs near the marathon’s finish line last April.
Tamerlan Tsarnaev died following a shootout with police.
Prosecutors announced last month they will seek the death penalty against Tsarnaev, who has pleaded not guilty to 30 federal counts.
The Justice Department said Thursday that it plans to seek the death penalty against accused Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev. Tsarnaev is awaiting trial on charges that he and his brother built and planted two pressure-cooker bombs that killed three people and injured at least 260 others at the marathon last April. The federal government has carried out only three executives since the US Supreme Court forced a change in sentencing laws in the 1970s. One of them was Oklahoma City bomber Timothy McVeigh, put to death in 2001.
Attorney General Eric Holder said in a statement: “After consideration of the relevant facts, the applicable regulations and the submissions made by the defendant’s counsel, I have determined that the United States will seek the death penalty in this matter. The nature of the conduct at issue and the resultant harm compel this decision.”
A trial date has not been set for Tsarnaev. His next hearing is Feb. 12.
Twenty federal defendants are on trial on capital charges, or are about to be, while 56 others are pursuing appeals of their death sentences, many that last for years.
The federal execution system has been put on hold by a court battle over the combination of drugs used to administer a lethal injection. One of the drugs is no longer available, forcing the Bureau of Prisons to consider alternatives.
Legal experts have said that seeking the death penalty against Tsarnaev would give him an incentive to plead guilty to avoid being put to death.
A federal judge has set a June trial for three friends of Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev on charges of hindering the investigation into the attack.
Attorneys for Dias Kadyrbayev and Robel Phillipos had asked that the trial not be held until January 2015. But a lawyer for a third friend, Azamat Tazhayakov, asked for an earlier trial.
The judge agreed and scheduled the trial for June 23, several weeks earlier than Tazhayakov requested.
Authorities say Kadyrbayev and Tazhayakov removed a laptop and backpack from Tsarnaev’s room at the University of Massachusetts-Dartmouth three days after the bombing.
Phillipos is accused of lying to authorities. All three men have pleaded not guilty.
The April 15 bombings killed three people and injured more than 260.
Voice of Russia, Interfax, AFP, AP, Boston.com