` Generals and Senior Military Found Guilty of Arming Boko Haram ‘

#AceBreakingNewsNIGERIA – June 04  – Ten generals and five other senior military officers have been found guilty in courts-martial of providing arms and information to Boko Haram extremists, several Nigerian newspapers said Tuesday, though the military insisted there was no truth in the reports.

They follow months of allegations from politicians and soldiers who told The Associated Press that some senior officers were helping the Islamic extremists and that some rank-and-file soldiers even fight alongside the insurgents and then return to army camps. They have said that information provided by army officers has helped insurgents in ambushing military convoys and in attacks on army barracks and outposts in their north-eastern stronghold.

Leadership newspaper quoted one officer saying that four other officers, in addition to the 15, were found guilty of “being disloyal and for working for the members of the sect.”

Defence Ministry spokesman Maj. Gen. Chris Olukolade, who last week denied reports saying senior officers were being investigated, reiterated in a statement on Tuesday that defense headquarters “wishes to state once again categorically that there is no truth whatsoever in the report.”

He called it a “falsehood” concocted by those who “appear hell-bent on misleading Nigerians and the international community to give credence to the negative impression they are so keen to propagate about the Nigerian military.”

Nigeria‘s military often denies substantiated reports, such as on extrajudicial killings of civilians and detainees.

It is accused of such gross human rights violations that the U.S. efforts to help in the rescue of nearly 300 abducted schoolgirls have been limited by U.S. law restricting sharing of some types of information and technology with abusive security forces.

The alleged sabotage by senior officers could explain the military’s failure to curb a 5-year-old Islamic uprising by Boko Haram that has killed thousands despite a year-long state of emergency in the north-east.

Additional news (BBC) June 04 – Boko Haram militants have killed dozens of people in fresh attacks on villages in Borno state in northern Nigeria, the BBC has learnt.

In one attack, gunmen reportedly fired on a crowd in a church compound.

#ANS2014 

Enhanced by Zemanta

#ans2014, #associated-press, #bbc, #boko-haram, #court-martial, #islamic-terrorism, #nigeria, #nigerian-armed-forces, #officer-armed-forces, #tuesday