ACE WORLD NEWS
GAZA CRISIS UPDATE (JULY 25, 2014)
- Since July 7, Israel has killed at least 808 Palestinians in Gaza, including at least 185 children.
- At around 3 PM local time on Thursday (July 24), a United Nations school in Beit Hanoun where approximately 1500 internally displaced people (IDP) were sheltering was struck by several missiles, killing at least 16 people and injuring at least 150 others. It wasn’t immediately clear who was responsible for the attack, however late Thursday the Israeli military acknowledged that it had fired into the area at the time of the incident, claiming they were responding to hostile fire. According to UN officials, they twice asked the Israeli military to allow a humanitarian corridor to evacuate civilians from the school during the day, but Israel refused. Over the past three days, the Israeli military has attacked UN schools housing IDPs on three different occasions, despite the fact that the UN has provided the military with precise GPS coordinates for all of its facilities.
- According to the UN, as of July 24 at 8 AM ET:
- At least 578 Palestinian civilians have been killed, including at least 185 children and 93 women.
- During the 24-hour reporting period (July 23-July 24), at least 92 Palestinians were reported killed or their bodies recovered, including 17 children and eight women. (Note: These figures do not include at least 16 people killed in an attack on a UN school sheltering IDPs, the source of which is not yet conclusively known.)
- Forty-two families in Gaza have lost at least three or more members killed by the Israeli military in the same incident, totaling 253 people.
- More than 5100 Palestinians have been injured, including more than 1500 children and 1000 women, as of July 24 at 1 AM ET.
- 149,000 internally displaced people (IDP) are sheltering in 84 United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) schools and tens thousands of others are taking refuge elsewhere. This is more than double the number of Palestinians who took refuge at UN facilities during Israel’s devastating three-week assault on Gaza in the winter of 2008-2009, Operation Cast Lead. All are in need of emergency food assistance.
- At least 148,000 children require specialized psychosocial support (PSS) due to trauma caused by the death or injury of someone they know or loss of home.
- Israel has destroyed or severely damaged at least 615 residential properties, including numerous multi-story buildings, causing hundreds of civilian casualties.
- Since July 7, Israeli attacks have damaged approximately 120 schools. On July 24, five people were wounded when the Israeli military shelled the Deir al-Balah girls school in central Gaza, which was sheltering approximately 1500 IDPs. At least six teachers are known to have been killed.
- The Israeli army has declared 44% of the tiny Gaza Strip a military “buffer zone.”