(ANKARA, Turkey.) Court Report: On Tuesday a Turkish employee of the American Consulate in Istanbul has been sentenced to more than five years in jail after finding that he had knowingly aided a terrorist group #AceNewsDesk report

#AceNewsReport – Oct.28: Nazmi Mete Canturk, who worked as a security guard, is one of three Turkish staffers at U.S. Consulates facing similar charges, a situation that has raised tensions between the two longtime allies: U.S. diplomats maintain that the charges against the employees are baseless, and critics of Turkey have said they amount to political hostage-taking. Since 2017, the men have been in jail, under house arrest or under travel restrictions, despite protests from American officials:

Court sentences ‘ U.S. Consulate Employee ‘ to over 5-Years in jail for being part of a coup in 2015 to overthrow Erdogans rule that he linked to a terrorist group

Nazmi Mete Canturk, a guard at the United States Consulate, was accused of aiding a terrorist group, a charge the Americans and other critics say is baseless – NewYorkTimes.Com/

Mr. Canturk was charged with being a member of a religious organization led by the Islamic cleric Fethullah Gulen, whom President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has accused of masterminding a failed coup in 2016 from his self-imposed exile in Pennsylvania. The attempted coup left 251 people dead, mostly civilians, and wounded more than 2,000 others: In the years since, Mr. Erdogan’s attempt to hold thousands accountable for their alleged involvement in the coup has drawn criticism from international rights groups:

Mr. Canturk was not immediately taken into custody on Tuesday because he still has a right to appeal: In all, he faces a sentence of five years, two months and 15 days. Mr. Canturk’s wife and daughter had also faced charges, but they were acquitted: Mr. Canturk, whose trial began in June 2019, has been barred by the court from leaving the country: In June, Metin Topuz, another longtime employee of the U.S. Consulate in Istanbul, was found guilty on similar charges and sentenced to more than eight years in prison: He is now serving his sentence:

Another consulate employee, Hamza Ulucay, worked as a translator in the U.S. Consulate in the southern Turkish city of Adana for 30 years before he was detained: He was convicted on the same charge in January, and was sentenced to four and a half years in prison but was released after the court determined that his time had been served:

Since 2016: Around 70,000 people have been brought before Turkish courts to face charges related to the coup attempt, some in mass trials of more than 100 people at a time…………….Many of the trials have taken years and are expected to continue through the appeals for several more years:

#AceNewsDesk report ………….Published: Oct.28: 2020:

Editor says #AceNewsDesk reports by https://t.me/acenewsdaily and all our posts, also links can be found at here for Twitter and Live Feeds https://acenewsroom.wordpress.com/ and thanks for following as always appreciate every like, reblog or retweet and free help and guidance tips on your PC software or need help & guidance from our experts AcePCHelp.WordPress.Com