#AceNewsReport – Apr.09: Police have recently received numerous reports from residents across Northern Ireland stating that they have been contacted by people claiming to be officers asking them to withdraw money from their accounts and hand over bank cards, jewellery and other valuables.
PSNI Report: ‘Police warn against criminals posing as police officers Detectives from PSNI’s Economic Crime Unit are warning the public to be extremely vigilant following multiple reports of criminals posing as police officers’
Detective Inspector Joanne Harris from the Economic Crime Unit said: “Over recent days, we have seen an increase in the number of scams reported to us where fraudsters pose as police officers. Unfortunately, this has resulted in people losing large sums of money and valuables with some people being told they need to leave money in an envelope outside their house to be collected.
“Victims have been asked about how much money they keep in their house, and are told not to let family members know that they had been contacted. One older person was accused of owing money, whilst another person was enticed to leave their house with a sum of money to meet a fraudster. Luckily this person’s suspicions were raised and she did not lose any money.
“I am urgently advising the public to be vigilant at all times and to be aware that police officers will never call you and ask for cash, bank details or questions about valuable possessions. Criminals are continuously coming up with advanced and sophisticated ways of targeting people, especially those who are more vulnerable or older.
“If you have older relatives or family members, please take time to share this information with them so they can be fully aware of this type of scam.
“Our message is simple, never ever disclose any personal or banking details to anyone over the phone or online, no matter where they say they are calling from or how convincing they may seem.”
Protecting your personal information and banking details is extremely important. If you have received a call of this kind or if you are concerned by the intent of unsolicited calls, emails or letters the please call police on the non-emergency number 101, make a report to Action Fraud via their website www.actionfraud.police.uk or by phoning 0300 123 2040.
For further advice and information visit www.nidirect.gov.uk/scamwisenior the ScamwiseNI Facebook page @scamwiseni . ScamwiseNI have recently issued some helpful videos which show how these type of scams can take place and the terrible impacts for the victims.
We are keen to hear from witnesses of this incident
Appeal for information following disorder in Belfast: ‘Police are appealing for information following disorder in west Belfast yesterday evening (Wednesday 7 April)’
Detective Sergeant Kitchen said: “Shortly after 6pm, we received a report that a press photographer, who was attending disturbances on the Shankill Road, had been assaulted: “ The man was returning to his car which was parked in the nearby Cupar Way, when he was approached by two men who attacked him and caused damage to his camera equipment: “ A short time later, just before 7.30pm we received a report that a double decker bus had been hijacked at the junction of Lanark Way: “ The driver and passengers were removed from the bus before it was set on fire.
No one was injured during the incident; however the driver was left badly shaken: “ We would appeal to anyone who may have witnessed either of these incidents or who may have captured footage on their mobile phone to get in touch. We would also appeal for anyone who was a passenger on the bus to come forward.
“Witnesses can get in touch by calling 101 quoting reference number 1682 of 07/04/21.”
You can also submit a report online using our non-emergency reporting form via http://www.psni.police.uk/makeareport/
Sustained Disorder in Belfast
Sustained Disorder erupted last night (Wednesday 7 April) in the Lanark Way and West Circular Road areas of West Belfast.
Condemning the violent scenes Assistant Chief Constable Jonathan Roberts said: “We witnessed intense disorder in a built up area for a sustained period:
“During this time officers came under constant attack. At times there were upwards of 600 people present. Petrol bombs, bottles, masonry, and fireworks were thrown during scenes of violent disorder.
“A bus was hijacked and set on fire. The driver, a key worker in our community, was removed from his bus and violent crowds threw petrol bombs into it, setting it alight. Thankfully the driver escaped without injury. A moving bus on fire surrounded by a large crowd could have led to members of the local community being seriously injured.”
ACC Roberts added, “During the disorder six AEPs were discharged by officers. Eight officers were injured. Two men aged 18 and 28 have also been arrested on suspicion of riotous behaviour.
“A press photographer was also assaulted by two masked men. An investigation is underway into his assault and criminal damage to his equipment. During the disorder, two motorists had their vehicles hijacked and burnt out.”
ACC continued: “I know the actions that we saw last night are not representative of the local community in West Belfast.
“Whilst many of those involved in the disorder last night were adults, it is clear there were many young people involved. Young people were being encouraged to commit criminal acts by adults, who stood by clapping and encouraging the violence. There is absolutely no justification for this. Young people need to quickly realise that by engaging in this type of behaviour they are not only risking their safety, they are also risking their futures. Today I am appealing to parents and guardians please speak to your children. To those community, civic and political leaders please exert whatever influence you have to quell this disturbing, unnecessary and unwanted violence.
Assistant Chief Constable Roberts concluded: “I would like to thank the many local community representatives who tirelessly worked with officers to restore calm. I want to assure the community that over the coming days, police will be proactively working to identify all of those involved in this disorder, arresting them and where appropriate bringing them before the courts.
“Officers will continue to patrol all areas in Belfast, tackling not only disorder, but all types of criminality including burglaries, thefts, assaults and domestic abuse.
“We will continue to work with the community, political representatives and other partners to ensure we never have to witness public disorder on this scale again.”
We are keen to hear from witnesses of this incident
The Police Service of Northern Ireland is appealing for anyone who witnessed the incident or anyone with any information that will assist the investigation to contact us on the non-emergency number 101. Information can also be passed anonymously via the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
#AceNewsDesk report ………..Published: Apr.09: 2021:
Editor says #AceNewsDesk reports by https://t.me/acenewsdaily and all our posts, also links can be found at here for Twitter and Live Feeds https://acenewsroom.wordpress.com/ and thanks for following as always appreciate every like, reblog or retweet and free help and guidance tips on your PC software or need help & guidance from our experts AcePCHelp.WordPress.Com