(KABUL) LATEST: After two explosions the airport on Thursday, killing some 90 people – among them 13 US military personnel leaving at least 150 people also wounded in the attack, which the so-called #IslamicState group says it was behind #AceNewsDesk report

#AceNewsReport – Aug.27: LIVE Updated Suicide bomb striking Kabul airport kills dozens in Afghanistan – video report ….

#AceDailyNews says after the Kabul airport attack: UK has entered ‘final hours’ of evacuation; Biden vows revenge for Afghanistan explosion that killed dozens details to date below: Helen SullivanFirst published on Fri 27 Aug 2021 00.23 BST: GUARDIAN LIVE

UK defence secretary says ‘sad fact is not every single one will get out’; Biden says the US will ‘hunt down’ Islamic State leaders responsible; American forces bracing for further attacks CENTCom report below…

10:11

Medical supplies are running out in Afghanistan, where the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Friday it hoped to establish an air bridge into the northern city of Mazar-i-Sharif with the help of Pakistani authorities within the next two or three days.

“Right now because of security concerns and several other operational considerations, Kabul airport is not going to be an option for the next week at least,” Rick Brennan, WHO’s regional emergency director, speaking from Cairo, told a Geneva briefing.

Insurance rates for flying into Afghanistan have “skyrocketed”, he said, speaking a day after bombs at Kabul airport killed dozens of people. “Once we can address that we can hopefully be airborne in the next 48-72 hours,” he added. 

09:53

These are from the Telegraph’s Lucy Fisher, reporting that the UK has started pulling its remaining troops out of Afghanistan, following a temporary increase in numbers to help the evacuation effort.

Lucy Fisher (@LOS_Fisher)

NEW: More than 100 British troops have already left Kabul, I’m told.

There’s fewer than 900 UK military personnel left (down from 1,012 earlier this week), alongside around 60 diplomats.

Several hundred civilian evacuees who’ve been processed are to be airlifted in hours ahead.August 27, 2021

Lucy Fisher (@LOS_Fisher)

UK wants to be “upfront & honest” that “vast majority” of civilians seeking evacuation who aren’t yet processed won’t be airlifted now, says UK defence source

Source stressed: “But if people do turn up, we will do everything we can to get them on a flight if they are eligible”August 27, 2021

Lucy Fisher (@LOS_Fisher)

Defence Sec Ben Wallace has expressed “deep regret” this morning that people will be left behind.

“We will continue to honour our debt to all those who have not yet been able to leave Afghanistan. We will do all that we can to ensure they reach safety.”August 27, 2021

09:51

A former head of the British army has called the US sharing of intelligence with the Taliban about people trying to flee Afghanistan a “dangerous game”.

The comment follows reports that the United States is sharing biometric information with the Taliban in a bid to rescue the remaining people outside the airfield as they withdraw from Afghanistan ahead of the 31 August deadline.

General Lord Richard Dannatt said: 

I think it is a dangerous game. It’s a matter where expediency comes in. I think it’s a case of ‘my enemy’s enemy is my friend’.

We are in many dimensions of least-worst situations. We do worry that information has been passed about those who we were trying to get out, who we failed to get out, that the Taliban do know who they are and this places them under great threat.

09:45

Here is my colleague Peter Walker’s story on Ben Wallace’s admission that the UK has stopped taking people into Kabul airport to remove them from Afghanistan and its evacuation operation will end in “a matter of hours”.

Accepting that there would be Afghan translators or others who worked with UK forces who would not get out, the defence secretary said these people would be advised to seek access to third countries or offered advice on “how they can look after themselves” under Taliban rule.

09:19

Turkey has not made a final decision on a Taliban request for support to run the Kabul airport after foreign forces withdraw over security concerns and uncertainty there, the president Tayyip Erdogan has said, adding talks were still under way.

Officials told Reuters this week that the Taliban had asked Turkey for technical help to run the airport but demanded that Ankara’s military pull out by a 31 August deadline. The military began evacuations on Wednesday.

Erdogan told a news conference before departing for a visit to Bosnia:

The Taliban have made a request regarding the operation of the Kabul airport. They say, ‘We’ll ensure security and you can operate it.’ But we have not made a decision yet because there is always a possibility of death and such things there.

Updated at 10.08am BST

09:18

China has said it strongly condemns the Kabul airport attacks and hopes all parties will take effective measures to ensure a smooth transition, after an Islamic State suicide bomber killed 85 people.

China had not received reports of any Chinese nationals being hurt, foreign ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian told a regular news briefing.

Updated at 10.08am BST

08:48

Ben Wallace, the UK defence secretary has also given more details on how the Kabul bombings are believed to have been carried out. 

He said it is believed to have been one suicide bomber and another smaller explosion detonated in the middle of the crowd near the canal near the Baron’s hotel. He told the Today programme:

We think it was a suicide vest and a smaller device. The individual got to the perimeter we had pushed out the day before in response to that threat.

It was about 300 metres, we think, from the Baron’s hotel, and walked straight into the middle of those families waiting.

Discussing when the terrorist warning was issued, Wallace told Sky News:

The night before, the British Army and others had pushed away from the Baron’s hotel, a standoff area about 300 metres away from the Baron’s hotel, and that is in fact where the bomb detonated, we think, himself, at that standoff.

In recognition of the amazing work that our armed forces did, if they hadn’t pushed that perimeter further out I think we could’ve been in a worse place.

He added: 

About 60 to 80 Afghans also tragically lost their lives and they would’ve included families waiting in the canal, or by the canal, for processing.

Updated at 10.10am BST

08:44

The defence secretary, Ben Wallace, said the threat of attacks by ISKP, the affiliate of Islamic State in Afghanistan, around Kabul airport would increase as foreign forces departed.

He told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme: 

I am concerned. Isis have an intent, they have the capability, should they wish to do so, to deploy more of these types of attacks. I’m absolutely concerned that, until we’ve gone, there’s an absolute threat to our forces, and even after we’ve gone there’s a threat to the Afghan people from Isis.

Updated at 10.13am BST

08:23

The UK defence secretary Ben Wallace said it is estimated that up to 1,100 Afghans who could be eligible for evacuation will be left behind by the UK as troops prepare to leave Kabul.

He told LBC radio: 

We think down to approximately 100-150 British nationals left in the estimated pot, some of those are willingly staying.

Wallace then gave figures for those who could be helped under the Afghan relocations and assistance policy (Arap) scheme.

It was actually double the number of people we thought we’d get out and we’re now way above the original, even the estimates, of the total Arap, which is nearly hitting 10,000, it will go over 10,000 we think today, from April.

We think there will be circa between 800 and 1,100 Arap that didn’t make it.

Updated at 8.38am BST

07:48

Spain has concluded its evacuation of personnel from Afghanistan and the last evacuees are expected to land at the Torrejon military airbase near Madrid later on Friday, the government said.

Two military planes carrying the last 81 Spaniards out of Kabul arrived in Dubai early on Friday morning, the government said in a statement. The planes were also carrying four Portuguese soldiers and 83 Afghans who had worked with Nato countries.

“These two flights conclude the evacuation of Spanish personnel and Afghan allies and their families,” the statement read.

Over the course of its rescue mission Spain evacuated 1,898 Afghans who had worked with western countries the United Nations or the European Union.

Updated at 8.33am BST

WHO says hopes for air bridge into northern Afghanistan in days

August 27, 202110:12 AM BSTLast Updated a minute ago

GENEVA, Aug 27 (Reuters) – Medical supplies are running out in Afghanistan, where the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Friday it hoped to establish an air bridge into the northern city of Mazar-i-Sharif with the help of Pakistani authorities within the next two or three days.

“Right now because of security concerns and several other operational considerations, Kabul airport is not going to be an option for the next week at least,” Rick Brennan, WHO’s regional emergency director, speaking from Cairo, told a Geneva briefing.

Insurance rates for flying into Afghanistan have “skyrocketed”, he said, speaking a day after bombs at Kabul airport killed dozens of people. “Once we can address that we can hopefully be airborne in the next 48-72 hours,” he added.

Reporting by Stephanie Nebehay and Emma Farge;

#AceNewsDesk report ………Published: Aug.27: 2021:

Editor says …Sterling Publishing & Media Service Agency is not responsible for the content of external site or from any reports, posts or links, and can also be found here on Telegram: https://t.me/acenewsdaily all of our posts fromTwitter can be found here: https://acetwitternews.wordpress.com/ and all wordpress and live posts and links here: https://acenewsroom.wordpress.com/and thanks for following as always appreciate every like, reblog or retweet and free help and guidance tips on your PC software or need help & guidance from our experts AcePCHelp.WordPress.Com

#afghanistan, #kabul, #taliban, #u-k-united-states