(WASHINGTON) 9/11 REPORT: Biden declassifies certain documents related to September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks as a supportive gesture to families who have long sought the records in hopes of implicating the Saudi government #AceNewsDesk report

#AceNewsReport – Sept.05: The order, coming little more than a week before the 20th anniversary of the attacks, is a significant moment in a years-long tussle between the government and the families over what classified information about the run-up to the attacks could be made public……

#AceDailyNews says that Biden administration moves to declassify September 11 documents over conflict that was on display last month when many relatives, survivors and emergency workers came out against Mr Biden’s participation in 9/11 memorial events if the documents remained classified: Joe Biden should well know that America cannot kill its way to victory in the ‘War on Terror’.

Mr Biden said he was making good on a campaign commitment by ordering the declassification review and pledged that his administration “will continue to engage respectfully with members of this community”.

“The significant events in question occurred two decades ago or longer, and they concern a tragic moment that continues to resonate in American history and in the lives of so many Americans,” the executive order states.

“It is therefore critical to ensure that the United States government maximises transparency, relying on classification only when narrowly tailored and necessary.”

The order directs the Justice Department and other executive branch agencies to begin a declassification review, and requires that declassified documents be released over the next six months. 

Brett Eagleson, whose father Bruce was among the World Trade Center victims and who is an advocate for other victims’ relatives, commended the action as a “critical first step”.

He said the families would be closely watching the process to make sure that the Justice Department follows through and acts “in good faith”.

“The first test will be on 9/11, and the world will be watching. We look forward to thanking President Biden in person next week as he joins us at Ground Zero to honour those who died or were injured 20 years ago,” Eagleson said.

Flowers and photos at September 11 tribute
Victims’ families have long called for greater transparency.(Reuters: Justin Lane)

Victims’ families want FBI to locate key evidence

The practical impact of the executive order and any new documents it might yield was not immediately clear.

Public documents released in the last two decades, including by the 9/11 Commission, have detailed numerous Saudi entanglements but have not proved government complicity: US president inherited a situation with no good solution, but the latest deaths will raise questions about his judgment that risk clouding his presidency.

A long-running lawsuit in federal court in New York aims to hold the Saudi government accountable and alleges that Saudi officials provided significant support to some of the hijackers before the attacks.

The lawsuit took a major step forward this year with the questioning under oath of former Saudi officials, and family members have long regarded the disclosure of declassified documents as an important step in making their case.

The Saudi government has denied any connection to the attacks.

Fifteen of the hijackers were Saudi, as was Osama bin Laden, whose Al Qaeda network was behind the attacks.

Particular scrutiny has centred on the support offered to the first two hijackers to arrive in the US, Nawaf al-Hazmi and Khalid al-Mihdhar, including from a Saudi national with ties to the Saudi government who helped the men find and lease an apartment in San Diego and who had earlier attracted FBI scrutiny.

Passport photos side by side of two Saudi men
The first two hijackers to arrive in the United States were Khalid al-Mihdhar (left) and Nawaf al-Hazmi.(Reuters: FBI )

Though many documents examining potential Saudi ties have been released, US officials have long regarded other records as too sensitive for disclosure.

Victims’ families and survivors this week urged the US Justice Department’s inspector general to investigate the FBI’s apparent inability to locate key pieces of evidence they’ve been seeking.

The Justice Department revealed last month that the FBI had recently completed an investigation examining certain 9/11 hijackers and potential co-conspirators, and that it was working toward providing more information. 

Under the terms of the executive order, the FBI must complete by September 11 its declassification review of documents from that probe, which it has referred to as the “Subfile Investigation”.

Additional documents, including phone and bank records and investigative findings, are to be reviewed with an eye for disclosure over the course of the next six months.

AP/BBC/ABC/Reuters/

#AceNewsDesk report ……….Published: Sept.05: 2021:

Editor says …Sterling Publishing & Media Service Agency is not responsible for the content of external site or from any reports, posts or links, and can also be found here on Telegram: https://t.me/acenewsdaily all of our posts fromTwitter can be found here: https://acetwitternews.wordpress.com/ and all wordpress and live posts and links here: https://acenewsroom.wordpress.com/and thanks for following as always appreciate every like, reblog or retweet and free help and guidance tips on your PC software or need help & guidance from our experts AcePCHelp.WordPress.Com

#9-11, #biden, #saudi, #washington