(ITALY) LATEST: Three people have been arrested over Sunday’s cable car accident that left 14 dead #AceNewsDesk report

#AceNewsReport – May.28: According to a local transport official, the brake failure meant the car was travelling at over 100km/h (62 mph) when the cable broke:

Italy: Cable Car Report: ‘Three arrested over fatal accident: ‘Investigators say the emergency brakes had been disabled and the three members of the operating company were aware’ Italy probes cause of fatal cable car accident

Some of the victims were thrown from the car and found among the trees. Pic: AP

The car plunged 20m (65ft) into the side of the Mottarone mountain near Lake Maggiore in northern Italy.

Prosecutors are carrying out an investigation into suspected involuntary homicide and negligence. 

Was the brake tampered with?

The three suspects have been identified as the owner, director and chief of operations of the company that managed the cable car.

AFP reports that local prosecutor Olimpia Bossi told a press conference that the brake had been tampered with in a “conscious act” and suggested the car was unsafe before Sunday’s accident.

The prosecutor alleged a fork-like clamp had been placed over the emergency brake, which had been malfunctioning, after repair work on the car was unsuccessful, according to Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera.

“It had been applied to avoid continuous disruptions and blockages of the cable car,” she said, adding that the suspects had believed that the cable would never break.

According to the newspaper, investigators had initially believed the clamp had been left in place by mistake.

EPAA handout appears to show the clamp used to stop the emergency brake

What happened to the survivor?

Five families were on board the cable car when it crashed, including two children who were among the dead.

The sole survivor of the accident has been named as Eitan Biran, a five-year old Israeli boy whose parents, great-grandparents and younger brother were all killed. 

According to reports, he was protected from the impact of the crash by his father, who shielded him with his body.

Eitan was placed in a medically induced coma after an operation on Sunday but briefly opened his eyes on Wednesday, a medical official said. His aunt is with him in the hospital and he is expected to fully regain consciousness in the coming hours.

“This is the most delicate moment,” Turin’s health chief was quoted as saying by Italy’s La Repubblica newspaper.

Since the cable car reopened after lockdown a month ago, it had been operating with the tampered break system. For those who took the journey in that period, it’s been described as Russian roulette.

The investigators’ findings are chilling. The first assumption was that the clamp had been inserted and left inside by mistake. But it appears to have been a conscious decision by the maintenance workers. 

Almost three years since a bridge in Genoa collapsed killing 43 people – a result of years of failed maintenance and conflict of interest – Italy is now facing another scandal over neglect of transport infrastructure with deadly consequences. 

And a shaken country is asking how many more such disasters will follow.

What happened on Sunday?

Matteo Gasparini, provincial head of Italy’s Alpine rescue service, said earlier this week that the emergency brake had failed to work after a cable snapped.

The cable car then sped backwards and “ended up catapulted out of the support cables,” Mr Gasparini added.

It is believed the car struck a pylon and plummeted to the ground, tumbling down the mountain until it crashed into trees.

Initial reports said the towing cable failed at about 12:30 (10:30 GMT) as the gondola neared the end of its 20-minute journey to the top of the mountain from the resort town of Stresa. Nearby hikers heard a loud hiss before it crashed to the ground.

The cable car service originally opened in 1970 and was closed for maintenance between 2014 and 2016, according to local media reports. It recently reopened following the lifting of coronavirus measures. Numbers inside the gondolas were restricted. 

#AceNewsDesk report ………Published: May.28: 2021:

Editor says #AceNewsDesk reports by https://t.me/acenewsdaily and all our posts, also links can be found at here for Twitter and Live Feeds https://acenewsroom.wordpress.com/ and thanks for following as always appreciate every like, reblog or retweet and free help and guidance tips on your PC software or need help & guidance from our experts AcePCHelp.WordPress.Com

#accident, #fatal, #italy

UKRAINE: ‘ ACCIDENT AT NUCLEAR PLANT REVEALED IN FIRST SESSION OF CABINET ‘

#AceWorldNews – UKRAINE – Dec.03 – There has been an accident at a nuclear plant in the southeast of Ukraine, Prime Minister Arseny Yatsenyuk has revealed during the first session of his new Cabinet.

A minor accident occurred at Zaporozhskaya nuclear plant, the largest in Europe, last Friday, according to the facility’s website. A reactor was switched off and put to maintenance as a result.

The incident was not made public until Wednesday, when PM Yatsenyuk asked the energy minister to report on what happened and how the ministry is handling the situation.

Ukraine’s energy minister, Vladimir Demchyshyn, said that the accident posed no risk.

There is no threat … there are no problems with the reactors,” Demchyshyn said at briefing, adding the accident affected the power output system and “in no way” was linked to power production itself.

Demchyshyn said that the reactor would be restarted December 5.

Source: 

#ANS2014 

#accident, #incident

"More than 200 South Sudan Civilians Drown in Ferry Accident"

#AceWorldNews says latest reports on the “South Sudan” ferry accident are between 200 and 300 people, have drowned. The report went onto to say that the accident on the a ferry on the White Nile river, happened whilst people were fleeing the fighting in the city of Malakal. “The drowned include both women and children.
The boat was overloaded,” army spokesman Philip Aguer told reporters. “They all drowned. They were fleeing the fighting that broke out again in Malakal.”
More than 1,000 people have been killed, while 230,000 have been forced from their homes over the past three weeks of fighting between government forces and those loyal to sacked Vice President Riek Machar.

#accident, #children, #drowned, #ferry, #fighting, #government, #killed, #south-sudan, #white-nile-river, #women