` Al Jazeera Serves Egypt with a $150 Million Compensation Claim for Damage to its Media Business '

#AceWorldNews – LONDON – April 28 – The Qatar-based satellite network Al Jazeera served Egypt with a $150 million compensation claim on Monday for what it said was damage to its media business inflicted by Cairo’s military rulers, a step likely to worsen Qatari-Egyptian relations.

In a move aimed at drawing attention to what Al Jazeera calls Egypt’s unacceptable treatment of it and its journalists, a lawyer acting for the pan-Arab channel told Reuters he had handed a legal document detailing the claim to a representative of the Egyptian government.

Egypt had begun a “sustained campaign” against Al Jazeera and its journalists after the army toppled Islamist President Mohamed Mursi in July last year, said Cameron Doley, a lawyer at London law firm Carter-Ruck, which is handling the case.

“Al Jazeera invested substantial sums in Egypt,” said Doley. “The effect of this recent campaign by the military government is that this investment has been expropriated. Egypt is bound by international law to pay Al Jazeera just and effective compensation.”

Cairo had six months to settle the claim, filed in the context of a bilateral investment treaty, he said, or face an international tribunal. There was no immediate comment from the Egyptian authorities.

REUTERS – AL-JAZEERA

Ace Related News:

  1. April 28 – http://tinyurl.com/kf5gle7

#ANS2014

#al-jazeera, #arab, #cairo, #egypts, #egyptian, #qatar

` Egyptian Judge Dismisses Videos in Trial of Three Al-Jazeera Journalists on Terrorism Charges '

#AceNewServices – CAIRO – April 10 – (AP) – An Egyptian judge has dismissed videos presented by the prosecution as evidence in the trial of three Al-Jazeera journalists on terrorism charges.

The Thursday hearing saw footage, allegedly filmed by the detained journalists, which included a documentary on Somalia, a Kenyan press conference and another wildlife video.

The judge dismissed the footage on the grounds it is not related to the charges, which include providing a platform to the outlawed Muslim Brotherhood group.

The journalists, award-winning Australian correspondent Peter Greste, Canadian-Egyptian acting bureau chief Mohammed Fahmy and Egyptian Baher Mohammed, worked for the Qatar-based broadcaster’s English language channel.

Fahmy said he does not understand the reason for the trial, shouting from behind the bars of the defendants’ cage: “this is a joke!”

The trial was adjourned to April 22.

(ALJ) – The three men are charged with spreading false news and aiding the blacklisted Muslim Brotherhood of deposed Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi, who was overthrown by the army in July.

Al Jazeera strongly rejects the charges and demands for the immediate release of its staff.

Contributions from Al Jazeera – New Europe – AP

Ace Related News – March 31 – 20.44 GMT – #AceWorldNews – EGYPT – March 31 – Al Jazeera English journalists were denied bail by a court in Egypt, after spending nearly 100 days in jail since their arrest.http://wp.me/p165ui-4BP

#ANS2014

#acenewsservices, #al-jazeera, #cairo, #egyptian, #kenyan, #muslim-brotherhood, #somalia

` Forty Four ‘ of the ` Iraq Security Force’s ‘ are among the Dead in Clashes with `Tribal Groups’ in Baghdad ‘

#AceWorldNews – ABU DHABI – March 28 – At least 44 Iraqi security forces were killed in clashes with the armed tribal groups in western Baghdad, the channel Al Jazeera reports.

A few officers of the regular army are among the dead.

On the causes of the military clash and the casualties among armed tribal group are not reported.

#ANS2014

#abu-dhabi, #al-jazeera, #baghdad, #iraqi

` Yemeni inmate introduces a landmark lawsuit to challenge practice of force-feeding at Guantanamo Bay ‘

#AceWorldNews Yemeni inmate at Guantanamo Bay has introduced a landmark lawsuit challenging the practice of force-feeding at the US military prison camp.

The case represents the first time a US court will hear allegations of detainee abuse at Gitmo.

The plaintiff, Emad Abdullah Hassan, says he has been force-fed more than 5,000 times since 2007 as part of the military’s efforts to break his hunger strike, the UK-based human-rights organization Reprieve said Tuesday, citing court documents.

The 34-year old has been held at Guantánamo Bay since 2002 without charge and is said to be gravely ill.

“All I want is what President Obama promised – my liberty, and fair treatment for others. I have been cleared for five years, and I have been force-fed for seven years.

This is not a life worth living, it is a life of constant pain and suffering. While I do not want to die, it is surely my right to protest peacefully without being degraded and abused every day.”

Hassan claims detainees are force-fed up to a gallon of nutrients and water at a time, while another inmate said that feeding sessions have been sped up, sometimes compressed into as little as 20 minutes, AP reports.

“When liquid is forced into him at excessive speed, [Hassan] vomits on himself. The feeding process starts again, but the vomit remains. With the nutrient mix comes the forcible administration of medication to counteract his inevitable constipation.

The most humiliating aspect of the whole process, he says, is when he defecates on himself and is forced to remain seated for an hour or more before being returned to his cell — where he will be refused clean clothes,” Clive Stafford Smith, the founder and director of Reprieve who is representing Hassan, wrote in an op-ed for Al-Jazeera.

AP – Al-Jazeera – RT – AFP – News Sources

#ANS2014

#rt, #afp, #al-jazeera, #ap, #guantanomo-baygitmo, #human-rights, #president-obama, #reprieve, #us, #yemeni