SYRIA: ‘ Lebanese Troops Kill 16-Al-Nursa Front Terrorists ‘

#AceNewsReport – SYRIA:June.06: Lebanese servicemen eliminated 16 militants of the al-Nusra Front terrorist group near the border with Syria, a source in Lebanon’s army said Saturday.

“Sixteen Jabhat al-Nusra militants were killed. The artillery of Lebanese army straddled the [al-Nusra] detachment, which tried to break into the al-Uyun gorge in the south-east of Arsal town [near Syrian border],” the source told RIA Novosti.

Arsal was the epicenter of fierce clashes between the Lebanese forces and the Islamic State and the Nusra Front rebel groups in August 2014. The extremists captured some 30 Lebanese servicemen, of whom they have since released eight and executed four.

 After the Lebanese army liberated the town, the terrorists fled to the mountains, organizing rear bases there. They occasionally attack Lebanese villages and the army checkpoints from remote mountainous areas.

@AceNewsServices

#al-nabk-district, #al-nusra-front, #al-qaeda, #al-raqqah, #deir-ez-zor, #free-syrian-army, #golan-heights, #islamic-state, #jisr-al-shughur, #syria, #terror-terrorism

` Radicalised UK Citizens returning from `Syria ‘ are the biggest threat to ` National Security’ Official Reports ‘

#AceNewsServices – BRITAIN – April 11 – (RT) – Radicalised UK citizens returning from Syria are the biggest threat to national security, official reports claim. With increasing access to equipment and training, there are growing fears Brits are encouraged to carry out attacks on home soil.

The 500 Britons who have gone to fight in Syria over the past three years put the Middle-Eastern country in Whitehall’s sights as a much more dangerous place for radicalization than Iraq. An assessment by the MI5 spells out how alluring Syria has become to UK jihadists.

“The nature of the conflict in Syria and the emergence of Al-Nusra Front, which has declared its allegiance to Al-Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri, is leading to the country becoming an increasingly significant potential source of future threats to the UK and UK interests overseas,” the text also reads.

Concerns over the grave threat have been confirmed to the Telegraph by an unnamed Whitehall contact.

RT – Telegraph – UK News Sources

#ANS2014

#al-nusra-front, #al-qaeda, #britain, #jihadists, #middle-eastern, #syria, #uk

` Syria’s Bloody Conflict has Killed More Than ` 150,000 Men, Women and Children ‘ Since 2011 ‘

#AceWorldNews – SYRIA – April 01 – More than 150,000 people have been killed in Syria since the conflict began in March 2011, Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said in a new toll released on Tuesday.

It had documented the deaths of 150,344 people, 51,212 of them civilians, including nearly 7,985 children, AFP reported.

The monitoring group said 37,781 members of the armed opposition had been killed in the fighting, including Jihadists from the Islamic State of Iraq and Greater Syria (ISIS), and Al-Qaeda affiliate Al-Nusra Front.

The Observatory added that 364 members of Lebanon’s Shiite Hezbollha movement were killed (ALN News)

The conflict started in 2011 when President Bashar al-Assad cracked down on peaceful anti-government protester’s.

#ANS2014

#al-nusra-front, #al-qaeda, #hezbollah, #human-rights, #islamic-state-of-iraq, #jihadists, #president-bashar-al-assad, #syria, #syrian-observatory-for-human-rights

` Ceasefire that has held since February has been broken by ` Syrian Observatory for Human Rights ‘

#AceWorldNews says that fire-fights and shelling broke out in the Palestinian camp of Yarmuk in the southern part of the Syrian capital Damascus, violating a ceasefire, which had held since mid-February.

“The truce has been broken,” Rami Abdel Rahman, director of the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, told AFP.

The Al-Qaeda-linked Al-Nusra Front and the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine-General Command blame each other for breaking the deal.

The truce allowed provision of limited UN aid to the 40,000 people, including 18,000 Palestinians, who have been living in very poor conditions in Yarmuk since last summer.

#ANS2014

#afp, #al-nusra-front, #al-qaeda, #damascus, #palestinian, #popular-front-for-the-liberation-of-palestine, #syrian-observatory-for-human-rights, #yarmuk

#AceNewsDesk : ” World News – `Latest Headlines’ – 21 January 2014 “

Ace News Group

12:43

Evidence from defector show mass killings by Syria regime – investigators

Former international prosecutors said on Tuesday that they have evidence from a defector proving that the Syrian regime has systematically killed and tortured around 11,000 people, AFP reported. Three top investigators, commissioned by Qatar, examined thousands of pictures said to have been smuggled out by a former military police photographer. Qatar backs the Syrian rebels. The report that shows evidence of starvation, strangulation and beatings came a day before talks were due to begin in Switzerland, aimed at negotiating an end to Syria’s civil war. Damascus denies torturing detainees.

11:52

Al-Nusra Front in Lebanon claims Beirut bombing that killed at least 5 people

The Al-Nusra Front in Lebanon on Tuesday claimed a bomb attack in Beirut that killed at least five people, AFP reported. The group is believed to be a franchise of a Syrian Al-Qaeda-linked group. “We have responded to the massacres carried out by the party of Iran [Hezbollah]… with a martyrdom operation in their backyard in the southern [Beirut] suburbs,” the group said in a statement posted on a Twitter account. Dozens were also wounded after a suicide car bomb exploded in Hezbollah’s southern Beirut bastion on Tuesday, media reports said. The same busy commercial street was targeted by a suicide car bombing in early January that also killed a minimum of five people.

11:17

Thai govt declares state of emergency in Bangkok

The Thai government has imposed a 60-day state of emergency in Bangkok and surrounding provinces from Wednesday to help contain protesters. Deputy interior minister, Visarn Techateerawat, announced the emergency after a cabinet meeting on Tuesday. The decree gives security agencies the power to impose curfews, detain suspects without charge, censor media and ban political gatherings. The government says it has no plans to disperse the protest movement led by Suthep Thaugsuban.

10:46

Beijing to start regular patrols in South China Sea

Beijing will base a 5,000-ton civilian patrol ship on one of the main islands it controls in the disputed South China Sea and begin regular patrols, Reuters reported. The ship would be based on Woody Island, which China calls Sansha City, in the Paracel Islands, according to the China Ocean News. It added that China will “gradually establish a regular patrol system on Sansha City to protect the country’s maritime interests.” Infrastructure on the island will be built, as well as a “joint platform for sharing maritime security data.” The move is likely to add fuel to territorial disputes with neighbors.

10:21

Pakistan bombs suspected Taliban hideouts, 25 killed

Pakistani jets and helicopter gunships bombarded suspected Taliban hideouts in a northwestern tribal district on Tuesday, killing at least 25 people, AFP reported. The air strikes come a day after a Taliban suicide bomber killed 13 people in a blast near army headquarters. The military said the strikes were based on “confirmed intelligence reports” and were carried out in the North Waziristan tribal district, a stronghold for Taliban and Al-Qaeda-linked militants on the border with Afghanistan.

Enhanced by Zemanta

#acenewsdesk, #al-nusra-front, #beirut, #china, #hezbollah, #lebanon, #paracel-islands, #syria, #tuesday

#Syria has been urged by News Outlets to Halt Abductions of Journalists #Peace

 

 

Image representing Associated Press as depicte...

Image via CrunchBase

 

#AceWorldNews says according to BEIRUT (AP) — Major international news organizations sent a letter to the leadership of the armed opposition in Syria Wednesday, calling for urgent action against rebel groups increasingly targeting journalists for kidnappings.

 

The letter, signed by 13 news organizations including The Associated Press, is in response to a sharp rise in the kidnapping of journalists while on assignment in opposition-held areas in northern Syria.

 

The widespread seizure of journalists is unprecedented and has so far been largely under-reported by news organizations in the hope that keeping the kidnappings out of public view may help with negotiating the captives’ release. The scale of the abductions — more than 30 are believed to be currently held — and the lack of response to individual mediation efforts have encouraged some families and employers to speak out.

 

Most kidnappings since the summer have taken place in rebel-held territories, particularly in chaotic northern and eastern Syria, where militant al-Qaida-linked groups hold influence. Among the most dangerous places are the northeastern city of Raqqa, which was taken over by al-Qaida militants shortly after it became the first city to fall entirely into rebel hands; the eastern Deir el-Zour province; the border town of Azaz; and the corridor leading to Aleppo, once a main route for journalists going into Syria.

 

“As long as kidnappings are permitted to continue unabated, journalists will not be willing to undertake assignments inside Syria, and they will no longer be able to serve as witnesses to the events taking place within Syria’s borders,” the letter said.

 

Signatories to the letter are the AP, Agence France Presse, Reuters, BBC, The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Wall Street Journal, Atlantic Media, The Economist, Getty Images, The Guardian, the Los Angeles Times and The Telegraph.

 

Colonel Riyad al-Asad and others announcing th...

Colonel Riyad al-Asad and others announcing the FSA’s formation in an online video statement (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

 

The open letter is being sent to the leadership of the Western-backed mainstream Free Syrian Army and to individual armed groups including the Islamic Front, an umbrella organization of six of the most powerful brigades in Syria.

 

Syria’s rebels are a disparate group of brigades and battalions, increasingly dominated by Islamic extremists, including al-Qaida-linked groups such as the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant and Jabhat al-Nusra.

 

The closest thing to a central command is the Supreme Military Council of the Free Syrian Army, headed by Gen. Salim Idris, a secular-minded moderate. But he holds limited sway over the myriad groups inside Syria, some of which have broken away from the Free Syrian Army, announcing that the group did not represent them. Infighting between the extremists and moderates is on the rise, undermining their fight against President Bashar Assad.

 

While jihadi groups are believed responsible for most kidnappings since the summer, government-backed militias, criminal gangs and rebels affiliated with the Free Syrian Army also have been involved. Their motives have ranged from ransom to prisoner exchanges.

 

The Syrian National Coalition, Syria’s main opposition group in exile considered to be the political arm of the Free Syrian Army, condemned the kidnapping of journalists in a statement issued Wednesday.

 

“The Syrian Coalition and the General Staff of the Free Syrian Army reiterate their commitment to exerting all efforts necessary to secure the release of all kidnapped persons and provide protection to journalists and human rights activists operating in Syria,” the statement said.

 

The New York-based Committee to Protect Journalists says approximately 30 foreign and Syrian journalists are missing and 55 have been killed since Syria’s civil war began in early 2011. CPJ also has documented at least 26 other journalists who disappeared this year but are now safe.

 

Many of the abduction cases go unreported at the request of the families or employers. News organizations on a case-by-case basis are inclined to respect such requests, regardless of the identity of the person abducted, if they are convinced that publication would increase the danger for the victim.

 

On Tuesday, the families of two Spanish journalists abducted nearly three months ago appealed publicly for their release, after failing to make contact with the captors via intermediaries. Javier Espinosa, Middle East bureau chief of El Mundo newspaper, and Ricardo Garcia Vilanova, a freelance photographer who was traveling with him, were taken captive Sept. 16 by members of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant at a checkpoint in the northeastern Raqqa province, the families said.

 

In the letter, the 13 news organizations said it was “imperative” for the leadership of the armed opposition to commit itself to assuring that journalists can work within Syria, secure from the threat of kidnapping.

 

“Among other things, we ask the leadership to assist in identifying those groups currently holding journalists and take the steps necessary to bring about their release,” the statement said.

 

 

 

#aceworldnews, #al-nusra-front, #ap, #associated-press, #deir-ez-zor, #free-syrian-army, #islamic-state-of-iraq, #national-coalition-for-syrian-revolutionary-and-opposition-forces, #new-york-times, #peace, #syria