#AceWorldNews – SANAA – YEMEN – May 12 – A suspected U.S. drone strike in southern Yemen killed six Al Qaeda militants on Monday, military and security officials said.
English: Air Force officials are seeking volunteers for future training classes to produce operators of the MQ-1 Predator unmanned aircraft. (U.S. Air Force photo/Lt Col Leslie Pratt) (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
The drone hit a car with Al Qaeda fighters in Marib province, in the Husoun al-Jalal area in Abieda Valley, said the officials, speaking on condition of anonymity in line with regulations. They said authorities were checking for the identities of the slain militants.
Last year and in early January, drone strikes killed more than 12 suspected Al Qaeda militants in the same area of Marib province.
The U.S. considers Yemen’s branch of Al Qaeda, also known as Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, to be the most dangerous in the world. The group overran large swaths of territory in southern Yemen in 2011 but the military has pushed back and over the past few weeks, the army and security forces have stepped up an offensive to rout militants from their strongholds.
The U.S., which trains Yemen’s counterterrorism forces, has been waging a heavy campaign of drone strikes in the impoverished country against suspected Al Qaeda targets, launching more than 100 such strikes since 2002, according to the nonpartisan public policy institute New America Foundation.
However, civilian casualties in the drone strikes have sparked anger in the country and among human rights groups.
Yemen’s Interior Ministry corrected late Sunday an earlier press release saying three suspected Al Qaeda militants were killed in clashes with security forces not far from the presidential palace in the capital, Sanaa, during the day. The new statement said the three victims were civilians who died in the crossfire.
#AceWorldNews – YEMEN – May 11 – Three gunmen killed in attack on checkpoint in Yemen
Three gunmen were killed attempting to attack a security checkpoint in the Yemeni capital, Sanaa, the country’s Interior Ministry said.
The attack comes a couple of days after gunfire near the presidential palace in Sanaa and an apparent assassination attempt on the defense minister.
#AceWorldNews – YEMEN – May 09 – Yemeni Presidential Guard in gunfight with militants and a gunfight has broken out between security guards at the Yemeni presidential palace and militants in the capital Sanaa, according to Reuters.
Witnesses said the clashes were ongoing and heavy gunfire could be heard in the area surrounding the presidential place. An explosion was also heard near a government building housing political security staff, although the cause of the explosion was not clear. Yemen has been plagued by secessionist and religious insurgency for the last decade.