#AceWorldNews – KENYA – Nov.22 – Authorities say al-Qaida-linked al-Shabab militants from Somalia have hijacked a bus in northern Kenya and killed 28 non-Muslims on board.
Two police officers, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the bus was hijacked 50 kilometres (31 miles) from the town of Mandera on its way to the capital Nairobi, AP reported.
Kenya has witnessed a rise in attacks by al-Shabab militants since it sent troops into Somalia in October 2011.
There have been over 100 attacks since then, including the 2013 Westgate Mall massacre that left 67 people dead.
“Investigations continue into what appears to have been planning for an imminent attack…
At this point we are not aware of specific targets.”
Ugandan authorities are conducting operations against a suspected terrorist cell in Kampala.
They said the enemies would reap the “bitter fruits” of revenge after Ahmed Godane’s killing, Reuters reported. Al-Shabaab confirmed he was killed by a US air-strike in a raid last Monday.
Sheikh Ahmed Umar Abu Ubaida will replace him to head the group, which wants to impose its strict version of Islam on Somalia.
The group also reaffirmed its allegiance to Al-Qaeda
#AceNewsServices – UNITED STATES – June 02 – Nearly 13 years after the 9/11 attacks, many Americans were likely surprised to learn that one of their fellow citizens had committed suicide on behalf of al Qaeda in a massive bombing attack last week in northern Syria.
The American al Qaeda recruit’s name was Moner Mohammad Abu-Salha, according to the U.S. State Department, and he grew up in Vero Beach, Florida, where he played high school football.
Abu-Salha, who was 22, is the first American suicide bomber in Syria, but he is not the first U.S. citizen to die in a suicide attack on behalf of an al Qaeda-affiliated group. In the past six years, at least three Americans have conducted suicide attacks in Somalia for Al-Shabaab, al Qaeda’s Somali affiliate.
It is cases like that of Abu-Salha that explain why senior U.S. counter-terrorism officials tell me that they are “all Syria, all the time.”
Insurgencies such as the one going on in Syria against the Bashar al-Assad regime can go on for many years.
Indeed, since World War II, the average insurgency has lasted at least a decade, according to an authoritative study by RAND.
The Syrian conflict is now only in its fourth year, so Syria could well prove an important training ground for foreign fighters for many years in the future. Also, al Qaeda-affiliated groups now control territory stretching from Aleppo in western Syria to Falluja in Iraq, 400 miles to the east.
This is a large safe haven for al Qaeda in the heart of the Middle East.
The fact that the Syrian conflict will likely go on for a long time, and that it is already providing a large safe haven to al Qaeda and like-minded groups, deeply worries U.S. administration officials.
And Syria, after all, is an issue that has entirely happened on the Obama administration’s watch, unlike Iraq or Afghanistan.
According to a senior U.S. intelligence official, Abu-Salha is one of around 100 Americans who have travelled to Syria or have tried to do so as the civil war there grinds on.
Not all of these Americans have joined al Qaeda — there are many factions fighting in Syria — but a number have done so.
Four other Americans have been publicly identified as having tried to join al Qaeda in Syria or have fought alongside the group, according to a count by the New America Foundation.
Ace Related News:
1.Fox News – 31/05/2014 – http://tinyurl.com/px8htzh
2.Telegraph – 31/05/2014 – http://tinyurl.com/mzq6kwm
3.Rand Corp 31/05/2014 – http://tinyurl.com/ma2enbw
4.Bill Warner – 30/05/2014 – http://wp.me/pqsym-8bN
#AceNewsServices – YEMEN – May 25 – Yemeni troops have launched a ground assault against al-Qaeda suspects who fled a recent large army operation in the south to a district near the capital Sanaa, killing three fighters, sources told AFP news agency.
“Yemen’s anti-terrorism forces carried out a military operation in Arhab… killing three Al-Qaeda militants and arresting four others,” a security official said. Arhab is approximately 35 kilometres away from Sanaa.
Tribal sources in the region said the army had closed access to Arhab as it continued to target fighters.
The same sources said that in late 2011, the targeted suspects had fought in Syria, where foreigners had joined the conflict between forces loyal to President Bashar al-Assad and rebels battling to overthrow him.
The fighters, who included foreigners, returned to Yemen and were in the southern al-Qaeda bastions of Shabwa and Abyan before an army offensive that was launched on April 29 drove them to Arhab, according to the tribal sources.
The army says it has inflicted heavy losses upon al-Qaeda during its latest offensive.
Warplanes target suspected fighter
Late on Saturday, Yemeni warplanes launched three air strikes targeting the house of another suspected fighter also in Arhab, tribal sources told AFP, alleging the fighter was also among those who had returned from Syria.
There were casualties, the house was damaged, and two cars were destroyed, the sources told AFP, without giving a toll.
AFP – ALJAZEERA
#AceBreakingNews – MOGADISHU – May 24 – Explosions and gunfire have been heard in the Somali capital Mogadishu as the parliament came under attack while MPs were meeting.
The cause of the blasts was not immediately clear.
Somalia’s first parliament of its own since the collapse of government in 1992 was sworn in two years ago.
The fragile Somali government has been waging a war on insurgents of the al-Shabab Islamist movement, who were pushed out of Mogadishu in 2011.
The parliament in Mogadishu – which operated as a transitional assembly from 2004 to 2012 – has been attacked several times, including in 2009 and 2010.
Last month, a Somali parliamentarian was blown up and another shot dead in separate attacks.Some 22,000 African Union troops are helping the government battle al-Shabab.
Although it has lost control of most towns and cities, al-Shabab still dominates in many rural areas.
Al-Shabab, whose name means “The Youth” in Arabic, advocates the strict Saudi-inspired Wahhabi version of Islam.
Ace World News
#AceWorldNews – SOMALIA – May 23 – Hundreds of Somalis have been expelled from Kenya, with 98 in the latest batch sent back in a major crackdown on suspected Islamists, AFP said, citing a report of the Human Rights Watch (HRW).
The crackdown has seen people held in police cells or a football stadium, the group said Friday.
This follows a spate of attacks in Kenya by suspected supporters of Somalia’s Al-Qaeda-linked Shabab rebels.
A batch sent to Somalia by air-plane on Tuesday was reportedly the fourth round sent home, taking the total expelled to 359.
#AceWorldNews says hundreds of families are fleeing the Somali capital after a spike in the number of clashes between militants and pro-government troops, AP reported, citing local residents.
On Thursday, dozens of vehicles piled high with belongings headed to the outskirts of Mogadishu.
Heavy clashes have included mortar fire that has landed on civilian homes, witnesses say.
Mogadishu has seen relative stability since the ouster of Islamist rebels from Al-Shabab in 2011.