#AceWorldNews – YEMEN – Nov.26 – Saboteurs blew up Yemen’s main oil export pipeline on Wednesday, halting crude flows, Reuters said, citing the country’s Defence Ministry and an industry source.
Wednesday’s attack occurred in the area of Habab in Marib province, halting flows to export facilities on the Red Sea.
Before the spate of attacks began three years ago, the 435km pipeline carried around 110,000 barrels per day to Ras Isa, the export terminal on the Red Sea.
#AceNewsServices – WASHINGTON – Nov.22 – The number of people killed in militant attacks worldwide jumped more than 60 percent last year to a record high of nearly 18,000 and the figure could rise further in 2014 due to an escalation of conflict in the Middle East and Nigeria, a report showed on Tuesday Reuters reported.
Four Islamist groups operating in Iraq, Syria, Afghanistan, Pakistan and Nigeria were responsible for two thirds of the 2013 attacks and the vast majority of the deaths occurred in those countries, the Australia and US-based Institute for Economics and Peace (IEP) said in its Global Terrorism Index.
However, militant attacks are on the rise more broadly, with two dozen countries seeing more than 50 deaths in 2013, it said.
The four most active militant groupings are Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (now renamed Islamic State), Nigeria’s Boko Haram, the Afghan and Pakistani Taliban and transnational al Qaeda-affiliated networks.
“There is no doubt it is a growing problem. The causes are complex but the four groups responsible for most of the deaths all have their roots in fundamentalist Islam,” said IEP founder Steve Killelea.
“They are particularly angry about the spread of Western education. That makes any attempt at the kind of social mobilizing you need to stop them particularly difficult – it can just antagonize them more,” he said.
The number of attacks themselves rose 44 percent in 2013 from the previous year to almost 10,000.
Deaths in such attacks are now five times higher than in 2000, the report showed, citing analysis of data in the University of Maryland’s Global Terrorism Database.
Most but not all militant attacks were religiously motivated.
Attacks in India – the sixth most affected country – rose 70 percent in 2013 largely due to attacks by communist insurgents. The majority remained non-lethal.
#AceNewsServices – GERMANY – Nov.13 – A German court convicted four men on Thursday of being members or supporters of Al-Qaeda and planning a potentially lethal attack on German soil Die Welt reported.
They were handed sentences of up to nine years each behind bars, Reuters said.
The group, dubbed the ‘Dusseldorf Cell’, was arrested in 2011 in the western cities of Dusseldorf and Bochum, just days before Osama Bin Laden was killed.
During a two-year long trial, prosecutors said the men, acting under direct orders from al Qaeda, planned to detonate a cluster bomb in a crowd of people followed by a second explosion once emergency services had arrived to treat the victims.
Moroccan Abdeladim El-K, in his 30s, was the leader of the cell and is the highest-ranking member of al Qaeda to go before a court in Germany. The court in Duesseldorf sentenced him to nine years in prison.
Prosecutors said he travelled to an al Qaeda training camp in the Afghanistan-Pakistan border area in 2010 where he was taught how to make explosives and use guns.
The arrest of a militant Islamist cell in Germany on April 29 demonstrated the significance of safe havens for the al Qaeda network
#AceWorldNews – EGYPT – Nov.13 – Five policemen and soldiers have been killed in two attacks by Islamic militants in restive northern Sinai, Egyptian security officials said.
The attackers had set up roadblocks and stopped vehicles with troops or policemen.
Near town of Sheikh Zuweyid, gunmen dragged three soldiers out of their car and killed them.
Two policemen were snatched from their vehicle near the border town of Rafah and shot to death, AP reported.
Victims in both attacks were off duty.
Northern Sinai has been under the state of emergency since militants attacked an army checkpoint last month, killing 31 soldiers.
#AceWorldNews – EGYPT – Nov.13 – At least seven people were hurt when a bomb went off in a Cairo metro carriage on Thursday, AFP reported, citing security officials.
Egypt is suffering a wave of attacks, many of them claimed by Sinai-based jihadist group Ansar Beit al-Maqdis.
Last week, a bomb on a train north of the capital killed four people, and blasts in the Cairo metro, and near a presidential palace, wounded several others.
#AceBreakingNews says a suspect in last July’s murder of Tunisian opposition politician, Mohamed Brahmi, was arrested near the capital Tunis following a reported gun battle with police overnight on Saturday, the interior ministry’s spokesman said.
Security forces “surrounded a house where a terrorist group had holed up. Following a sustained exchange of fire, four elements were arrested,” interior ministry spokesman, Mohamed Ali Aroui, told Agence France-Presse.
“Among them is Hmed el-Melki, alias ‘Somali,’ one of the elements implicated in the assassination of the martyr, Mohamed Brahmi,” he added. “The interior ministry stresses that it was a successful operation,” said the spokesman. Authorities blamed Brahmi’s murder, as well as that of Chokri Belaid, another opposition politician, who was killed in February, on the Ansar Al-Sharia, a jihadist outfit.
The group, however, never claimed responsibility for the attacks.