AceWorldNews – BALKAN STATES – (Tasnim) – June 01 – Iran’s Red Crescent Society (IRCS) dispatched a consignment of humanitarian assistance to Serbia and Bosnia and Herzegovina, the two Balkan states stricken by the worst flooding they have seen in 120 years.
Deputy head of IRCS for the international and humanitarian affairs said on Saturday that the shipment of humanitarian aid included household items, foodstuff, and emergency shelters.
The Iranian Red Crescent was among the first organizations to dispatch relief aid to the Balkans after the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies called on the world nations to help the flood-hit people in east Europe, Shahabeddin Mohammadi Araqi explained.
More than 50 people were killed by flooding and landslides in Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina and Croatia after the heaviest rainfall in more than a century caused rivers to burst their banks, sweeping away roads, bridges and homes.
Serbia and Bosnia were worst hit and say the damage inflicted runs to hundreds of millions of euros each, a huge blow to their cash-strapped economies.
Tasnim – IRCS – Balkan and Serbia News – Iranian Red Cross
Ace Related News:
#AceWorldNews – SERBIA – May 19 – The Russian Emergency Situations Ministry sent an Il-76 plane with 38 tons of food to Serbia on Monday evening, ITAR-TASS reported.
Minister Vladimir Puchkov earlier in the day ordered an increase in Russian humanitarian aid, primarily medications and food for Serbia as it grapples with the worst flooding it has seen in a century.
Also on Monday, two Russian multi-purpose Ka-32 helicopters are expected to arrive in the Balkan country.
Some 72 Russian rescuers working in Serbia have already helped evacuate more than 2,000 people, including 604 children, RIA Novosti said.
TASS – RT – RIA-NOVOSTI
#AceWorldNews – KOSOVO – April 04 – Western officials are considering a plan for an EU-backed special tribunal to try Kosovo Albanian former guerrillas accused of harvesting organs from murdered Serbs during the Balkan country’s 1998-99 war, Reuters reported.
RT reports that Saturday’s edition of the Kosovo daily, Koha Ditore, will carry an interview with Jonathan Moore, director of the US State Department’s Office of South-Central European Affairs, who said preparations were under way with EU participation for a court based in Kosovo.
BELGRADE – The Serbian Office of the Prosecutor for War Crimes has welcomed the information by Tanjug that came from Brussels, which says that those from the Kosovo Liberation Army (KLA) indicted for the crimes listed in the report by Dick Marty will be tried in The Hague, and not in Pristina.
The majority of the work will be done outside Kosovo, meaning witnesses will give testimony abroad to protect them.
The move to stage a court stems from a 2011 report by Council of Europe rapporteur, Dick Marty.
#AceWorldNews The Central Intelligence Agency has taken action against a high-ranking CIA official who has reportedly “created an abusive and hostile work environment,” the Los Angeles Times reports.
Although the names of covert CIA agents are typically kept confidential, the Times confirmed that veteran officer Jonathan Bank — formerly the chief of Iran operations for the entire agency — has been placed on administrative leave after an internal probe unearthed new allegations of mismanagement.
The Times said they were publishing Bank’s name because his identity was previously made public after a Pakistani journalist filed a lawsuit against him in 2010 with regards to the CIA’s covert drone program there. Banks was working in Islamabad at the time of that incident, and has also held key CIA posts in the Balkans, Moscow and Baghdad, according to former agency officials who spoke to the paper on condition of anonymity.
This time around, though, Bank is being brought into the spotlight against for his alleged behaviour while attempting to man the helm of the CIA unit that specializes in spying on Iran and that nation’s nuclear program, Ken Dianian wrote for the Times on Sunday evening.