#BREAKING144 Philae comet lander wakes up, says European Space Agency

#AceBreakingNews – June.14: The European Space Agency (Esa) says its comet lander, Philae, has woken up and contacted Earth.

Philae, the first spacecraft to land on a comet, was dropped on to the surface of Comet 67P by its mothership, Rosetta, last November.
It worked for 60 hours before its solar-powered battery ran flat.

The comet has since moved nearer to the Sun and Philae has enough power to work again, says the BBC’s science correspondent Jonathan Amos.

An account linked to the probe tweeted the message, “Hello Earth! Can you hear me?”

On its blog, Esa said Philae had contacted Earth, via Rosetta, for 85 seconds on Saturday in the first contact since going into hibernation in November.

“Philae is doing very well. It has an operating temperature of -35C and has 24 watts available,” said Philae project manager Stephan Ulamec.

Scientists say they now waiting for the next contact.

‘Comet hitchhiker’

ESA scientist Mark McCaughrean told the BBC: “It’s been a long seven months, and to be quite honest we weren’t sure it would happen – there are a lot of very happy people around Europe at the moment.”

Philae was carrying large amounts of data that scientists hoped to download once they made contact again, he said.

“I think we’re optimistic now that it’s awake that we’ll have several months of scientific data to pore over,” he added.

This is one of the most astonishing moments in space exploration and the grins on the faces of the scientists and engineers are totally justified, says BBC science editor David Shukman.

Philae comet lander wakes up, says European Space Agency_83621422_comet_on_5_june_2015_navcam.jpgThe European Space Agency says its comet lander, Philae, has woken up and contacted Earth, seven months after it lost power.

@AceNewsServices

Ace Worldwide News Group

#67pchuryumov-gerasimenko, #bbc, #cnes, #comet, #earth, #europe, #european-space-agency, #philae, #rosetta-spacecraft, #sun

#BREAKING REPORT: ‘ US plans to deploy missiles in Europe ‘

#AceBreakingNews – June.08: Reports of US plans to deploy missiles in Europe hardly promote the balance of interests on the continent and mutual trust, President Vladimir Putin’s press spokesman Dmitry Peskov said.

US Plan to put Missiles in Europe
US Plan to put Missiles in Europe

“Certain actions aimed at escalating tensions, of course, will not be in anyone’s interests,” Peskov said. “For sure, this issue itself hardly promotes mutual trust and the balance of interests on the European continent.”He added: “On the other hand, we do not have any concrete information.”

The statement was made after British Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond said the UK would consider hosting US nuclear missiles amid escalating tensions between Russia and the West.

READ MORE: UK could host US nukes to counter increased ‘Russian activity’ – Hammond

@AceBreakingNews

#bbc, #brussels, #david-cameron, #dmitry-peskov, #european-union, #government-of-the-united-kingdom, #london, #mediterranean-sea, #mutual-trust, #nuclear-missiles, #philip-hammond, #president-vladimir-putin, #secretary-of-state-for-foreign-and-commonwealth-affairs, #secretary-philip-hammond, #united-kingdom

BRITAIN: ‘ BBC being Investigated for airing child’s UKIIP get Foreigners out comment ‘

​#AceNewsReport – Britain:June.01: The BBC is under investigation by broadcast media regulator Ofcom for airing a news bulletin featuring a child saying he would vote UKIP “to get all the foreigners out.

Reuters / Toby Melville

The primary school child’s comment was aired on a BBC East Midlands Today news slot on April 15 and was available to watch online.

outube

The bulletin showed Labour’s Shadow Education Secretary Tristram Hunt visiting a school in the region. When he asked a 10-year-old boy which party he would have voted for to win last month’s election he received an “unexpected” reply.

Err… UKIP,” the young boy replied. When Hunt asked him why, the boy said “to get all of the foreigners out.”

Ofcom is examining whether the BBC paid “due care and attention” to the child’s welfare, as he was easily identifiable in the broadcast.

Hostile reaction to his remarks “could have been foreseen,” the regulator claimed.

READ MORE: Mother accuses UKIP ex-husband of racist, homophobic ‘brainwashing’ of kids

In a statement, an Ofcom spokesman said they have “opened an investigation into a news item on BBC1 East Midlands to establish whether due care was taken of the welfare of a child who appeared in the program.”

Section 1.28 of the broadcasting code says due care “must be taken over the physical and emotional welfare and the dignity of people under 18 who take part or are otherwise involved in programs.”

Section 1.29 says people under 18 “must not be caused unnecessary distress or anxiety by their involvement in programs or by the broadcast of those programs.”

During the run up to the general election, the divorced wife of an ex-UKIP candidate claimed their child had an egg thrown at his face while openly campaigning for the party.

She said young children “shouldn’t know what they are talking about because none of them at that age should know anything to do with politics.”

One Twitter user said it is “wrong to push politics on children.”

http://rt.com/uk/263949-bbc-investigated-ofcom-ukip/

#AceNewsServices

Ace Worldwide News Group

#bbc, #controversy, #investigation

‘DELETED BBC VIDEO: MH17 WITNESSES SAY THEY SAW SECOND AIRCRAFT ‘

#AceNewsServices – Nov.22 – A BBC Russian correspondent interviewed numerous eyewitnesses who described seeing a second aircraft in the sky moments before MH17′s fatal crash.

' BBC Pulled Video '

‘ BBC Pulled Video ‘

The report was pulled by the BBC. 

Report which didn’t meet “the editorial values of the BBC”

As soon as the report was published on the BBC website, it was immediately deleted. Document is not availablesaid the page.

The video of Ivshina’s report, released on YouTube, was repeatedly deleted, according to YouTube users.

“Video Deleted YouTube,” read the description.

The deleted page immediately sparked the attention of social media. The report itself wasn’t deleted. The bloggers and twitter users accused the BBC of censorship.

“Why are they [BBC] deleting this video?” wrote one YouTube user. “They [BBC] are standing for democracy and the freedom of speech or those who deleted the video, don’t need truth?”

On Thursday, Yan Leder, a managing editor from the Russian service at BBC explained that the report was removed as it contained “mistakes.”

He added that the report had “imperfect structure” and “incomplete compliance of the editorial values of BBC.”

“Unfortunately in this case the report wasn’t submitted to BBC standard editorial analysis. As a result, there were several omissions [in the report],” he added.

According to Leder, the correspondent should have asked the witnesses specifying questions in response to their accusations and include “experts’ opinion in her report.”

“That’s why we are modifying the material so that it would (sic) meet the editorial standards of BBC.”

Russia Insider reports: On July 23, two days after the Russian Ministry of Defense presented a radar track of a Ukrainian SU-25 fighter climbing to within three kilometers of MH17, the BBC’s Russian service aired a report by correspondent Olga Ivshina.

The report originated when Ivshina and her cameraman went in search of the field outside the town of Torez, where the US government claims an SA-11 BUK surface to air missile was launched at the Boeing 777 on July 17.

Source: BBC Russia News – RT – BBC News – Russia Insider 

#ANS2014

#bbc, #crash, #video

JORDAN: ' Abu Qatada Says Beheading US Journalists Contradicts Islamic Teaching '

#AceWorldNews – JORDAN (Amman) – September 07 – The Muslim cleric Abu Qatada has criticized the Islamic State (formerly known as ISIS) jihadists for the beheading of two US journalists, saying that the killings contradict Islamic teaching.

Abu Qatada is awaiting the verdict of an Amman court in Jordan for his role in an alleged terrorist plan to blow up American, Israeli and other Western tourists during the 2000-millennium celebrations.

He allegedly told reporters waiting outside the court that journalists are “messengers of truth” and that killing them is against religious teachings, according to the BBC.

Abu Qatari - 7422884_sne69yzo 

He was speaking to the media from the dock of a court in Amman, Jordan, during a hearing in a terrorism trial.

The case against Abu Qatada, who was deported from the UK last year after a long legal battle with the government, was adjourned until 24 September.

He is on trial in Jordan over his alleged involvement in a thwarted plot aimed at the millennium celebrations in the country in 2000.

#ANS2014

#abu-qatada, #amman, #bbc, #islamic-state, #jordan, #osama-bin-laden, #ulama, #united-kingdom, #united-states

Why is the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) helping #NO Scotland?

The BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation) is something every household in the UK has to pay for, works out £5 a week, it’s for BRITAIN. Then we find out the advert at the very bottom of this article was in-fact filmed in the studio above, the BBC. Now for a Corporation that has to stay un-bias toward the UK why I ask did they allow an anti-independence video to be shot in their studios. Scotland has went mad over this and rightly so. Many are saying they will refuse to pay this licence fee any longer and I will be one of them. It is only £5 a week but the principle of it all will make me and many others stop paying. The Governments mouth piece the BBC has no damn right allowing this to happen. I ask all my Scottish Brothers and Sisters to reject the BBC for what it has done here.

BBC Scotland was last night embroiled in a major row over its impartiality amid concerns it flouted its own editorial and commercial guidelines by allowing a Better Together cinema advertisement to be filmed at its headquarters using the corporation’s in-house crew.

The Scotsman can reveal that the advert – shown on screens nationwide as part of the pro-Union group’s campaign ahead of the independence referendum – was produced at a studio in the BBC’s Pacific Quay base in Glasgow normally used for quiz shows. The filming, described by Better Together as a “commercial arrangement” between a sub-contracted production company and the BBC, appears to fall foul of a number of the broadcaster’s internal guidelines. The rules warn of damage to the corporation’s standing if it is seen to be associated with “inappropriate” third parties such as political parties and lobbying organisations. Any commercial activity with such groups that could “potentially undermine the BBC’s editorial integrity” must be referred, in advance, to its editorial policy department, the guidelines add.

BBC Scotland last night insisted there has been “no breach” of its guidelines, stating that political parties are allowed to use the corporation’s facilities on a “commercial basis.” But veteran former BBC broadcasterDerek Bateman warned management at Pacific Quay were operating in a “grey zone” and said the public perception of the advert’s production would be that “the BBC is working hand in glove with Better Together”. He said: “The BBC seem unable to define what’s appropriate behaviour and what isn’t.” The Scotsman has learned that Rob Shorthouse, director of communications at Better Together, was among those present in the BBC Scotland studio when the minute-long advertisement was being made. It was filmed at the beginning of April in Pacific Quay’s studio B, used to film popular BBC network programmes such as The Weakest Link and Eggheads. The high-profile advert featured testimonies from five young Better Together supporters.

Under the BBC’s fair trading guidelines – designed to ensure the corporation’s commercial activities do not impinge on its wider reputation and values – there are explicit procedures set out for dealing with politically affiliated bodies. Guideline 4.64 warns that “the value and reputation of the BBC brand may be damaged if any part of the BBC is seen to be associated with inappropriate third parties”. Guideline 4.65 adds: “Any activity involving a third party that could potentially undermine the BBC’s editorial integrity must be referred, in advance, to the editorial policy department. Examples of such organisations include: political parties, government departments and foreign governments; lobbying organisations…” The process of creating the advert saw Better Together hire BD Network, a Glasgow-founded creative agency with offices in Shoreditch and Melbourne. BD Network then sub-contracted the job to Early, a production firm co-founded by Martyn Smith, a former executive producer at BBC Entertainment, who recruited participants and booked the Pacific Quay studio. The corporation declined to reveal how much it received, citing commercial sensitivities, but it is understood the hire fees amounted to between £5,000 to £7,000.

The ad spot proved divisive when it was screened across scores of cinemas last month. Amid growing unease over similar adverts from Yes Scotland, major cinema chains including Odeon, Cineworld and Vue took a collective decision to ban all referendum advertising from their venues. Mr Shorthouse told The Scotsman that Better Together became aware the BBC Scotland was being used for the advert “pretty early” in the project’s development, adding: “I decided that I wanted it made in Scotland, not London – so I knew pretty early on in the process that the only option was the studios at the BBC.” Asked if Better Together had misgivings about using the state-funded broadcaster’s facilities for the advert, he said: “No. This was a commercial arrangement between a production company and the BBC.” Mr Bateman, the former BBC Scotland broadcaster, said: “The BBC helps parties make party political broadcasts at election times which is legitimate, but in a case like this, as with the CBI row, they’re walking a pretty tightrope. Anybody reading about it in the heat of the referendum debate will think the BBC is working hand in glove with Better Together. What on earth do they think the public are going to think about it?”

SNP MP Pete Wishart said: “I really do hope that the BBC pay clear attention to its own particular guidelines when it comes to this kind of production and that they are able to justify absolutely that they have not breached any of their guidelines. “I am aware that Pacific Quay, as part of value for money arrangements, makes itself available to outside organisations and they have to always be careful about how this kind of arrangement looks to the public.” Blair Jenkins, chief executive of Yes Scotland and a former head of news and current affairs at BBC Scotland, said: “It is incumbent on all public service broadcasters – of which the BBC is one – to remain impartial in all matters relating to the referendum, the most important constitutional vote in Scotland in hundreds of years.”

Asked if the film was referred to and cleared by the BBC’s editorial policy department, a Pacific Quay spokesman said BBC Scotland “knew what the production was for and editorial policy were aware of it”. He went on: “There has been no breach of editorial guidelines as BBC facilities are made available to organisations and businesses who want to use them, including political parties, on a commercial basis. “During the 2012 local election campaign, the SNP produced a party election broadcast in our Dumbarton studios. Again, that was hired out in accordance with our fair trading policy and there was no editorial association with the BBC in the broadcast.”

A spokeswoman for the BBC Trust said: “We note BBC Scotland’s statement that there has been no breach of the BBC’s editorial guidelines and correct policy was followed. The trust has no plans to investigate this.”

The Advert in Question:

#anger-at-bbc, #bbc, #bbc-says-no, #bbc-scotland, #british-broadcasting-corporation, #independent-scotland, #pacific-quay, #scotland, #scottish-independence, #yes-scotland

‘Nine People Sentenced To Death On Terrorism Charges’

#AceNewsServices – CHINA (XINJIANG) – June 06  – Nine people have been sentenced to death on terrorism charges in China’s north-western region of Xinjiang.

State TV said they were among 81 people found guilty. Sentences were handed down at six different courts.

The charges included murder and arson.

Earlier 29 “terror suspects” were detained in Urumqi on charges including inciting separatism and ethnic hatred.

Chinese officials have blamed militant Uighur groups for a growing number of violent attacks across the country.

These include an attack in Beijing, where a car ploughed into pedestrians in Tiananmen Square, killing five people, and attacks at railway stations in Urumqi and Kunming.

China’s state broadcaster described the main charges against those sentenced on Thursday as relating to organising, leading or participating in a terrorist organisation.

Six courts in Xinjiang heard a total of 23 separate cases, it said, handing down nine death penalties and long custodial sentences.

‘Year-long campaign’

The latest convictions come amid a sweeping security crackdown in the region, reports the BBC’s John Sudworth in Shanghai.

Last month China launched what it called a “year-long campaign against terrorism” after 39 people were killed when five suicide bombers attacked a street market in Urumqi, Xinjiang’s capital.

Last week 55 people were sentenced for terrorism, separatism and murder at a show trial in Xinjiang.

Beijing has blamed an increasing number of attacks on civilian targets on Uighur separatists, who it says are inspired by extreme religious ideology from abroad, our correspondent says.

Critics of China’s policies in Xinjiang point to economic inequality and cultural and religious repression as other possible reasons for the growing radicalism and resentment.

China says it is pouring money into the Xinjiang region, but some Uighurs say their traditions and freedoms are being crushed.

BBC – China Daily

#ANS2014

Enhanced by Zemanta

#urumqi, #bbc, #beijing, #china, #kunming, #tiananmen-square, #uyghur-people, #xinjiang