UNITED STATES: ‘ BROOKLYN COURT FREES TWO MEN AFTER 30 YEARS FOR 1985 KIDNAP AND KILLING ‘

#AceNewsServices – UNITED STATES -(Brooklyn) – October 16 – A man who served nearly 30 years in prison for murder was ordered freed Wednesday after prosecutors concluded he falsely confessed when he was 16.

David McCallum and the late Willie Stuckey's are Freed by Brooklyn court '

David McCallum and the late Willie Stuckey’s are Freed by Brooklyn court ‘

David McCallum and the late Willie Stuckey’s convictions were thrown out Wednesday, at Brooklyn District Attorney Kenneth Thompson’s request.

Thompson said their convictions hinged on untrue confessions, made by teenagers, rife with inaccuracies and peppered with details seemingly supplied by police.

Their cause had been championed by ex-boxer Rubin “Hurricane” Carter, who became an international symbol of injustice when he got his a triple murder conviction vacated.

In dismissing the convictions, Brooklyn Supreme Court Justice Matthew D’Emic said, “The evidence available to the district attorney after the investigation sufficiently convinces the court that the judgements of conviction should be vacated.”

Source: 

#ANS2014 

#brooklyn, #united-states

` Justice is Served for ` Jonathan Fleming ‘ who Served 25 years in Prison for `Brooklyn Murder ‘ – Released ‘

#AceNewsServices – NEW YORK – April 09 – (PTV) – A New York man who spent nearly 25 years in prison for a Brooklyn murder that took place while he was on vacation in Florida was set free Tuesday in a highly emotional hearing.

“The day is finally here. I have dreamt about it many nights,” Jonathan Fleming said as he walked out of court. “I’m finally a free man.

“I feel wonderful,” Fleming said. “I am going to have dinner with my mother and my family and I’m going to live the rest of my life.”

Evidence that was not disclosed to the defence during his trial — which would have confirmed his alibi for the August 1989 slaying in a Williamsburg project — was unearthed during a review of the case by the Brooklyn district attorney’s office.

That included a phone receipt from an Orlando hotel showing he was there just hours before the murder and a report from local police, which interviewed hotel staff who remembered him.

Both documents were found in the case file.

In 1989 according to the report from the New York Times – Mr. Fleming was convicted of second-degree murder in the killing of Darryl Alston, a rival drug dealer, on Aug. 15, 1989, at the Williamsburg Houses.

His alibi was simple: He was in Orlando at the time of the shooting, on a family trip to Walt Disney World.

During the trial, Mr. Fleming’s lawyers gave evidence showing that he was in Orlando around the time of the murder — plane tickets and video footage and vacation photos from family members.

But prosecutors argued he could have returned to Brooklyn and shot Mr. Alston, producing a list with 53 possible flights he could have taken, according to a document prepared by Mr. Fleming’s lawyers, Taylor Koss and Anthony Mayol. And they cast doubt on the testimony from Mr. Fleming’s family members about his whereabouts.

A woman who said she was an eyewitness, Jacqueline Belardo, identified Mr. Fleming as the killer.

Though she recanted what she said before sentencing, saying she had identified Mr. Fleming in exchange for a dismissal of grand larceny charges against her, the prosecution contended that Ms. Belardo was lying, according to the document. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/09/nyregion/brooklyn-district-attorney-overturns-conviction-in-1989-murder.html

All he could say on his release was – Thank God My Prayers Have Been Answered.

#ANS2014

#brooklyn, #florida, #new-york, #williamsburg-project

` Victim’s of `Haiti’s Cholera Epidemic ‘ filed a `Class Action ‘ Lawsuit against `UN ‘ in a Federal Court in New York ‘

#AceWorldNew Victims of Haiti’s deadly post-earthquake cholera epidemic have filed a new lawsuit against the UN in a federal court in Brooklyn, New York, AFP reported.

They are demanding compensation over the organization’s alleged responsibility for the outbreak.

The class-action suit filed on Tuesday represents some 1,500 victims and is “the largest lawsuit against the UN regarding the outbreak to date,” plaintiffs’ representatives said.

There had been no cholera in Haiti for at least 150 years until it was allegedly introduced by Nepalese UN peacekeepers.

They were sent to the country in the wake of the devastating earthquake in January 2010.

#ANS2014

#aceworldnews, #afp, #brooklyn, #cholera, #haiti, #nepalese, #new-york, #un