#AceWorldNews – NIGERIA (Maiduguri) – November 01 – Nigeria’s kidnapped schoolgirls have all been converted to Islam and married off, the leader of Nigeria’s Islamic extremists claimed in a new video message.
The leader of Boko Haram also denied he had agreed to any cease-fire with the government.
Abubakar Shekau dashed hopes for a prisoner exchange to get the girls released in the new video released late Friday night.
“The issue of the girls is long forgotten because I have long ago married them off,” he said, laughing.
Boko Haram’s kidnapping of 276 schoolgirls taking exams at a boarding school in the remote northeastern town of Chibok in April prompted international outrage and criticism of Nigeria’s government for not acting quickly to free them.
Unconfirmed reports have indicated that the girls have been broken up into several groups and that some may have been carried across borders into Cameroon and Chad.
#AceWorldNews – NIGERIA – June 02 – Gunmen opened fire on a church service in the north-eastern Nigerian village of Attangara, killing nine people, Reuters reported, citing police.
“As we were holding service, we started hearing gunshots and everybody fled, some through the windows, and ran into bush,” resident Matha Yohana said of Sunday’s attack.
The village lies in the Gwoza hills, near the Cameroon border and is now the main stronghold of the radical Islamist sect Boko Haram.
Yesterday reported at least 14 people have been killed in a bomb attack on a bar that was screening a televised football match in north-eastern Nigeria, police say.
The attack place in the town of Mubi in Adamawa state, close to the border with Cameroon.
Adamawa is one of three states that have been placed under emergency rule because of an insurgency waged by Islamist Boko Haram militants.
However, no-one has yet said they carried out the latest attack.
“So far we have 14 dead while 12 are injured, some of them critically,” said the police spokesman for Adamawa state, Usman Abubakar.
Some reports put the death toll higher.
According to the BBC’s Nigeria correspondent, Will Ross, it is hard to get eyewitness accounts because of an overnight curfew in the area.
#AceBreakingNews – NIGERIA – May 29 – Boko Haram gunmen killed 35 people in attacks on three villages in Nigeria’s restive northeast Borno state near the border with Cameroon, a military source and residents said on Thursday.
Dozens of Boko Haram gunmen dressed in military uniform stormed Gumushi, Amuda and Arbokko in all-terrain trucks and motorcycles, opening fire on residents and torching homes with petrol bombs, they said.
“Boko Haram attacked the three villages Wednesday morning in which 35 people were killed, including 26 in Gumushi,” a military officer in the state capital Maiduguri told AFP on condition of anonymity.
“The insurgents hurled petrol bombs into homes, setting them ablaze and shot residents as they tried to escape,” he said.
He said the gunmen raided Gumushi around 6:00 am (0500 GMT) where they killed 26 residents.
Local media however put the death toll in Gumushi at 42.
Witnesses said the gunmen also launched coordinated attacks on the neighbouring farming villages of Amuda and Arbokko, 125 kilometres from Maiduguri, killing nine people and destroying scores of houses.
Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan said on Thursday he had ordered “a full-scale operation to put an end to the impunity of terrorists on our soil,” Reuters reported. In a televised speech to mark Democracy Day, Jonathan said he was “determined to protect our democracy, our national unity and our political stability, by waging a total war against terrorism.”
The president reassured the parents of 219 schoolgirls being held by Boko Haram that his forces would free them. The north-east of the country has already been under a state of emergency and Nigerian forces are hugely overstretched.
AFP – VOA – AP – Reuters
Ace Related News:
1. VOA – 29/05/2014 – http://tinyurl.com/nmnesme
#AceWorldNews – YAOUNDE – May 27 – Cameroon has deployed some 1,000 troops and armoured vehicles to its border region with Nigeria to counter a rising threat from Boko Haram Islamist militants.
“Their mission will be to carry out reconnaissance and be ready to respond with enough fire power,” Reuters quoted the Central African nation’s defence ministry spokesman, Lieutenant Colonel Didier Badjeck, as saying on Tuesday.
Boko Haram has carried out attacks in northern Cameroon and is suspected of attacking a Chinese workers camp there this month.
#AceNewsServices – NIGERIA – May 17 – Countries neighbouring Nigeria are ready to wage war against the Nigeria-based, al-Qaeda-linked group, Boko Haram, Chad’s president says.
Idriss Deby made the statement after a summit in Paris on Saturday that also included Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan and representatives from West African countries Cameroon, Benin, Niger plus the United States, the European Union, Britain and France.
“There is determination to tackle this situation head on…to launch a war, a total war on Boko Haram,” Deby said after the meeting, which was aimed at finding a common strategy to fight the armed group.
The leaders who attended the meeting agreed on tightened border controls, shared intelligence and to take a collaborative approach when fighting the armed group.
Jonathan said Boko Haram had evolved from a small group to being part of the broader al-Qaeda organisation.
“Boko Haram is no longer the local terror group with some regional sentiment that started in Nigeria in 2002 to 2009,” Jonathan said.
“From 2009 to date, it has changed and is operating clearly as an al-Qaeda organisation. It can better be described as an al-Qaeda in West and Central Africa.”
Francois Hollande, the French president, said Boko Haram had clearly established ties with other “terror” groups in Africa, making it a problem throughout the continent and beyond.
“The message we want to send is that we know the threat. It is serious, it is serious for the region, for Africa and so for Europe. We have deployed our military and intelligence system to find these young girls,” Hollande said.
#AceWorldNews – NIGERIA – May 08 Nigerian Islamist militant group Boko Haram is reported to have struck again in Borno State, killing hundreds of people in fresh attacks, as the US joins the ongoing hunt for hundreds of abducted school girls.
On Monday night in the town of Gamboru Ngala near Nigeria’s border with Cameroon, residents said that heavily armed Boko Haram militants gunned down civilians and set fire to buildings including a police station.
A local senator said hundreds were dead. However, a Nigerian military spokesman said the incident was unconfirmed.
“About 300 persons were confirmed dead after the incident, with several others injured. Almost all the houses in the communities were destroyed by the hoodlums who threw IEDs [improvised explosive devices] at the buildings,” Senator Ahmed Zannah, who is from the area, told BBC Hausa.
The attack in Gamboru Ngala happened after security personnel deployed in the town were moved to another area as part of the ongoing operations to find the missing girls, according to local media reports.
Ace Related News:
1. BBC Hausa – May 08 – http://tinyurl.com/ly49rqa
2. IBTimes – May 08 – http://tinyurl.com/mwo2dpc
These are unconfirmed reports at present at time of publishing this post …………….. more soon ……. Good News ……… I hope
#AceNewsServices – LAGOS – Nigeria – (AP) Scores of girls and young women kidnapped from a school in Nigeria are being forced to marry their Islamic extremist abductors, a civic organization reported Wednesday.
At the same time, the Boko Haram terrorist network is negotiating over the students’ fate and is demanding an unspecified ransom for their release, a Borno state community leader told The Associated Press.
He said the Wednesday night message from the abductors also claimed that two of the girls have died from snake bites.
The message was sent to a member of a presidential committee mandated last year to mediate a ceasefire with the Islamic extremists, said the civic leader, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he is not authorized to speak about the talks.
The news of negotiations comes as parents say the girls are being sold into marriage to Boko Haram militants. The students are being paid 2,000 naira ($12) to marry the fighters, Halite Aliyu of the Borno-Yobe People’s Forum told The Associated Press.
She said the parents’ information about mass weddings is coming from villagers in the Sambisa Forest, on Nigeria’s border with Cameroon, where Boko Haram is known to have hideouts.
“The latest reports are that they have been taken across the borders, some to Cameroon and Chad,” Aliyu said. It was not possible to verify the reports about more than 200 missing girls kidnapped in the northeast by the Boko Haram terrorist network two weeks ago.
“Some of them have been married off to insurgents. A medieval kind of slavery. You go and capture women and then sell them off,” community elder Pogu Bitrus of Chibok, the town where the girls were abducted, told the BBC Hausa Service.
BBC (Africa) April 30 – Hundreds of mainly women protesters have marched through the Nigerian capital, Abuja, to press for the release of 230 schoolgirls abducted by militants two weeks ago.
The government should, if necessary, negotiate with their captors to secure their release, a protester said.
The Islamist group Boko Haram has been blamed for abducting the girls from their school in Chibok, Borno state.
Boko Haram has not yet made any response to the accusation.
The group, whose name means “Western education is forbidden” in the local Hausa language, has staged a wave of attacks in northern Nigeria in recent years, with an estimated 1,500 killed in the violence and subsequent security crackdown this year alone.
AP – BBC HAUSA – BBC AFRICA – YAHOO
Ace Related News:
Ace World News –
#AceWorldNews – CAMEROON – April 05 – Two Italian priests and a Canadian nun were kidnapped in Cameroon overnight, Vatican radio said on Saturday (Reuters)
The radio station, part of the official news service of the Catholic Church, said two groups of armed men had raided the houses of priests and nuns in the parish of Maroua in northern Cameroon at around 2:00 a.m. local time (0100 GMT).
Italy’s Foreign Ministry named the priests as Giampaolo Marta and Gianantonio Allegri, from the diocese of Vicenza in northeast Italy.
It did not identify the nun and said it was working with the Italian embassy in Yaounde to resolve the situation.
The attack took place late on Friday night.
Earlier in November, a French priest was kidnapped in Cameroon, who was then set free in December.
#AceWorldNews – NIGERIA – 24 March – An explosion at a village market near hideouts of Islamic extremists in north-east Nigeria has killed 32 people, AP said, citing hospital and local government officials.
They said 29 people died at the scene at Ngurosoye village in the explosion on Thursday, reported only now because of poor communications.
The military has been carrying out aerial bombardments and ground assaults on camps of Islamic militants in Ngurosoye, near the Sambisa forest in Borno state bordering Cameroon.
#AceWorldNews says around 28,000 people have fled from the conflict-torn Central African Republic to neighbouring Cameroon since the start of this month, the UN refugee agency said on Friday.
“The new arrivals from CAR are living in appalling conditions.
Most of them lack food and shelter,” AFP quoted Dan McNorton, spokesman for the UN high commissioner for refugees (UNHCR), as saying.
Since a coup in March 2013, about 35,000 people, mainly Muslims escaping communal bloodshed, have fled across the border to Cameroon.