#AceWorldNews – KANO – Nigeria – April 06 – (LL) – Attackers armed with bombs and guns opened fire at church services at a Nigerian university on Sunday, killing around 20 people as worshippers tried to flee, witnesses and officials said.
Explosions and gunfire rocked Bayero University in the northern city of Kano, with witnesses reporting that two church services were targeted as they were being held on campus.
One of the services was being held outdoors, while the second was inside a building, but with an overflow audience outside, witnesses said.
Officials were unable to confirm casualty figures, but an AFP correspondent counted six bullet-riddled bodies near one of the two sites.
At least another dozen bodies could be seen on a roadside by the university, but the exact number was unclear.
Musical instruments and half-eaten meals could be seen at the site of one of the services.
An army spokesman confirmed the attack but could not provide a casualty toll. Lieutenant Iweha Ikedichi told AFP that it appeared the attackers used bombs and gunfire in the assault.
Witnesses said the attackers arrived in a car and two motorcycles, opening fire and throwing home-made bombs, causing a stampede. They said worshippers were gunned down as they sought to flee.
“They first attacked the open-air service outside the faculty of medicine,” one witness said. “They threw in explosives and fired shots, causing a stampede among worshippers. They now pursued them, shooting them with guns. … They also attacked another service at the sporting complex.”
A witness who said he was at the sporting complex at the time of the attack reported hearing gunshots outside while they were praying.
“Then there was pandemonium,” he said, adding that he later saw two men outside shooting indiscriminately.
A crowd of people later gathered at a Kano hospital waiting to hear news about friends or family.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility, although the attack was similar to others carried out by the Islamist group Boko Haram.
Read More: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=9de_1335776700
#AceWorldNews – AFGHANISTAN – March 28 – Afghan Taliban insurgents attacked a guest-house used by foreigners in an up-scale residential neighbourhood of Kabul on Friday, Reuters reported.
A suicide bomber detonated his car loaded with explosives in front of a guest-house in the capital, “and now a number of suicide bombers are apparently inside,” said Hashmat Stanikzai, a spokesman for Kabul’s police chief. A gunfight was still under-way.
There were no reports of possible causalities.
The Taliban said in a statement the target was a foreign guest-house and a church.
#AceWorldNews – ROME – March 26 – The Vatican has accepted the resignation of a German Roman Catholic prelate known as the ‘bishop of bling’, Reuters said.
Bishop Franz-Peter Tebartz-van Elst of Limburg, who reportedly spent 31 million euro of Church funds on his residence, was ordered to leave his diocese last October and offered his resignation at the time.
The investigation was completed, and an apostolic administrator, Mons. Manfred Grothe was appointed to run the diocese for the time being. Tebartz-van Elst will be offered another position.
Pope Francis has asked the faithful of the diocese of Limburg to accept the decision “with docility” and to work to restore a “climate of charity and reconciliation,” according to the statement.
Italian Press and Reuters
#AceWorldNews says a 25-year-old man identified only as Marcin K has filed suit against the Polish Roman Catholic Church, alleging that the church is at least partly responsible for the sexual abuse the man suffered at the hands of a clergyman who is now serving a two-year prison sentence.
It is the first time in Poland that a victim sued not only his attacker but also the church as an institution. Higher-ups in the Polish church apologized to all victims of abuse last year but refused to offer financial compensation.
The UN has called on the Vatican to “immediately remove” all clergy suspected of child abuse but, in this case, the church has said it is not liable because the priest in question acted “independently” within his parish. Marcin K is seeking 47,500 euros ($64,500) in damages as well as an apology printed in the national press.
The Helsinki Foundation human rights group is helping the plaintiff in his case.
#AceWorldNews says Tube of John Paul II’s blood stolen from Italy church ,a tube containing Polish Pope John Paul II’s blood has been stolen from a church in Italy, AFP reported.
The vial was stolen on Saturday from the San Pietro della Ienca church in the mountainous Abruzzo region in central Italy, according to the Repubblica daily.
Police and sniffer dogs are sweeping the area. John Paul II and the Italian pope John XXIII are set to become saints in a ceremony at the Vatican in April.
#AceWorldNews says the famous statue of Christ the Redeemer overlooking Rio de Janeiro has been damaged by a bolt of lightning. The middle finger on the right hand of the 38-meter-tall statue atop Corcovado Mountain was hit during a storm on Thursday night. Father Omar Raposo, of the Archdiocese of Rio which manages the iconic Brazilian statue, told local media that repairs will be carried out soon, reports AP on Saturday. The church has a supply of the same stone that was originally used to build the monument, erected in October 1931. In 2010, the statue underwent a $4 million restoration.
#AceWorldNews says UN Child-Protection experts have pressured the Vatican to reveal the extent of Sexual abuse by Roman Catholic priests. Thursday marked the first time Vatican representatives faced such a panel since the scandals first broke more than two decades ago. Pope Francis termed it “the shame of the Church”. “The best way to prevent abuses is to reveal old ones – openness instead of sweeping offences under the carpet,” Kirsten Sandberg, chairwoman of the 18-member UN Committee on the Rights of the Child, told Vatican delegates facing the panel. “We will take your questions seriously but we are not in a position to answer now,” Vatican delegation head, Archbishop Silvano Tomasi, responded at the end of the session, according to Reuters.
#AceNewsServices says the latest Mail on Sunday article has highlighted that parents and grandparents no longer have to cast out the devil or repent of their sin‘s. The article went onto say this was after the Church of England rewrote the solemn ceremony.
The new wording is designed to be easier to understand – but critics are stunned at such a fundamental change to a cornerstone of their faith, saying the new ‘dumbed-down’ version ‘strikes at the heart’ of what baptism means.
In the original version, the vicar asks: ‘Do you reject the devil and all rebellion against God?’ The parents would say “We Do” thus affirming that this child would be brought up in the “Eyes of God” without reference to the sin that is within people! This affirmation goes back centuries and has become the cornerstone of “Christening A Child in the Eyes of God” [As the one that sees all our sins] so for the Church of England to change such a solemn rite, has caused many to speak out about the fact, and that these words were the cornerstone of their faith, and the dumbed down version changes the context of what it means to be christened.
It appears that the draft was drawn up by the Church’s Liturgy Commission to redress fears the current version was too off-putting for lay people who only go to church for baptisms, weddings or funerals.
So is this change for change sake just to get people into church as congregations dwindle?
Or maybe it is time for the hierarchy to climb down from their pedestals and get more in touch with the people in the street, by giving of themselves and not taking away what people have the right to believe.
Ace Related News: #AceHistoryNews
- Abp Justin Welby: CofE Must Be Realistic About Dwindling Congregation(frstephensmuts.wordpress.com)
- Archbishop of Canterbury admits Church of England STILL has shares in Wonga despite pledge to drive pay-day loan companies out of business(dailymail.co.uk)
- Welby dismisses critics’ calls to stay out of politics and stick to talking about God(telegraph.co.uk)
- Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby Is “Extremely Hopeful”, But Says Church of England Must Be Realistic About Decline(blackchristiannews.com)
- Archbishop of Canterbury says emulate Nelson Mandela in tackling poverty(theguardian.com)
- Church of England still holds Wonga stake(telegraph.co.uk)
- Church aims to offload Wonga shares(topix.net)