(COPENHAGEN) JUST IN: A Danish man suspected of a bow-and-arrow attack on a small Norwegian town that killed five people and wounded two others is a Muslim convert who had previously been flagged as having being radicalised, police said Thursday #AceNewsDesk report

#AceNewsReport – Oct.14: There earlier had been worries of the man having been radicalized,” Police chief Ole B. Saeverud told a news conference. He added that there were “complicated assessments related to the motive, and it will take time before this is clarified.” He didn’t elaborate on what was meant by being radicalized.

#AceDailyNews says according AP Via CP24 that the man who is suspected of having shot at people in a number of locations in the town of Kongsberg on Wednesday evening was flagged as radicalised

Norway

Several of the victims were in a supermarket, police said.

Saeverud added that the last report of concern was last year.

The victims were four women and one man between the ages of 50 and 70, Saeverud said.

Police were alerted at 6:12 p.m. on Wednesday to a man shooting with a bow and arrows in Kongsberg, some 66 kilometers (41 miles) southwest of Oslo. Officers made contact with the suspect but he escaped and wasn’t caught until 6:47 p.m., 35 minutes after the attack began, Saeverud said.

Officials believe that the man didn’t start killing people until police arrived on the scene.

“From what we know now, it is reasonably clear that some, probably everyone, was killed after the police were in contact with the perpetrator,” Saeverud said.

Speaking calmly and clearly after his arrest, the suspect told police, “I did this,” said Ann Iren Svane Mathiassen, the police attorney who is leading the investigation.

“He talked calmly and clearly described what he had done. He admitted killing the five people,” she told The Associated Press

The rampage happened in clear view of dozens of witnesses in this small town, which today is in hushed shock, according to onlookers. Police have already spoke to between 20 and 30 witnesses who saw the attacker wound and kill his victims, according to Svane Mathiassen.

“There are people who saw him in the city. Before the killings. That is when he injured people,” Svane Mathiassen said.

Witness Erik Benum, who lives on the same road as the supermarket that one of the crime scenes, told the AP that he saw the escaped shop workers sheltering in doorways.

“I saw them hiding in the corner. Then I went to see what was happening, and I saw the police moving in with a shield and rifles. It was a very strange sight.”

The following morning, the whole town was eerily quiet, he said. “People are sad and shocked.”

The bow and arrow were just part of the killer’s arsenal. But police are yet to confirm what other weapons he used. Weapons experts and other technical officers are being drafted in to help with the investigation.

Both the hospitalized victims are in intensive care. They include an off-duty police officer who was inside the store. Their condition was not immediately known.

The suspect is being held on preliminary charges, which is a step short of formal charges. Police believe he acted alone.

“It goes without saying that this is a very serious and extensive situation, and it naturally affects Kongsberg and those who live here,” Police spokesman Oeyvind Aas said earlier.

Newly appointed Prime Minister-Jonas Gahr Stoere called the attack “horrific.”

“This is unreal. But the reality is that five people have been killed, many are injured and many are in shock ,” Gahr Stoere told Norwegian broadcaster NRK.

In a statement to the mayor of Kongsberg, Norwegian King Harald V said people have “experienced that their safe local environment suddenly became a dangerous place. It shakes us all when horrible things happen near us, when you least expect it, in the middle of everyday life on the open street.”

U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres wrote on Twitter that he was “shocked and saddened by the tragic news coming from Norway.”

The main church in Kongsberg, a small town of some 26,000 inhabitants, was open to anyone in need of support.

“I don’t think anyone expects to have these kinds of experiences. But nobody could imagine this could happen here in our little town,” parish priest Reidar Aasboe told the AP.

#AceNewsDesk report ……………Published: Oct.14: 2021:

Editor says …Sterling Publishing & Media Service Agency is not responsible for the content of external site or from any reports, posts or links, and can also be found here on Telegram: https://t.me/acenewsdaily all of our posts fromTwitter can be found here: https://acetwitternews.wordpress.com/ and all wordpress and live posts and links here: https://acenewsroom.wordpress.com/and thanks for following as always appreciate every like, reblog or retweet and free help and guidance tips on your PC software or need help & guidance from our experts AcePCHelp.WordPress.Com

#copenhagen, #danish, #norway, #radicalised

(FINLAND) Court Report: A Danish man accused of the brutal murder of a young German backpacker on a ferry more than three decades ago has been cleared by a Finnish court #AceNewsDesk report

FINLAND: Viking Sally: Suspect accused of 1987 Finland ferry murder is acquitted after the 52-year-old was accused of killing Klaus Schelkle, 20, and attempting to murder his girlfriend Bettina Taxis on the cruise ship travelling from Sweden to Finland in July 1987 and this case remains one of the longest unsolved murders in Finnish history according to BBC News

Reuters: The Danish man, pictured here in the blue suit, was identified in court as Herman H ……..He was acquitted by judges in the city of Turku on Wednesday.

Last year, police arrested the Danish suspect, who at the time of the attack was an 18-year-old scout and a passenger on the Viking Sally, after new information came to light. 

At the beginning of the trial in May, prosecutors alleged that the man – identified in court only as Herman H – had earlier confessed to attacking the two German students. They said he should be sentenced to life in prison.

Reuters: Finnish backpackers Klaus Schelkle, 20, and Bettina Taxis, 22, seen here at an undisclosed location in the summer of 1987

However, the suspect denied all charges, and his defence lawyers said that any such comments did not prove his guilt.

The judges dismissed the prosecution’s case, stating that the alleged confession did not mean that the defendant’s guilt could be “considered proven or even probable”.

They ruled that earlier police interviews with the suspect were also inadmissible as evidence.

A further setback for the prosecution was the refusal of a key witness – the defendant’s former wife – to give evidence at the trial. 

The judges said that the prosecution had failed to prove that the defendant had the motive and was the only person on board the ship who had the opportunity to commit the crime.

The court ordered the Finnish state to pay the defendant €3,000 (£2,575) in compensation.

In the 1987 attack, Mr Schelkle was bludgeoned to death and his girlfriend was severely injured as the couple slept on the outer deck of the ship. 

Prosecutors said a hammer-like weapon was used and thrown overboard. The weapon was never found.

Years later the Viking Sally changed ownership and was renamed MS Estonia. It sank in the Baltic Sea off Finland while crossing from Tallinn to Stockholm in September 1994, with the loss of 852 lives.

There were 137 survivors. It was one of Europe’s worst peacetime shipping disasters.

BBC/Reuters/Finnish Media/

#AceNewsDesk report ……Published: July.01: 2021:

Editor says …Sterling Publishing & Media Service Agency is not responsible for the content of external site or from any reports, posts or links, and can also be found here on Telegram: https://t.me/acenewsdaily all of our posts fromTwitter can be found here: https://acetwitternews.wordpress.com/ and all wordpress and live posts and links here: https://acenewsroom.wordpress.com/and thanks for following as always appreciate every like, reblog or retweet and free help and guidance tips on your PC software or need help & guidance from our experts AcePCHelp.WordPress.Com

#danish, #ferry, #finland, #sweden

‘ Danish Ship Carrying Hundreds of Tons of Syrian Chemical Weapons Docks at Port ‘

#AceWorldNews – ITALY (Gioia Tauro) – July 02 – A Danish ship carrying hundreds of tons of Syrian chemical weapons has steamed into the southern Italian port of Gioia Tauro for a rendezvous with a U.S. cargo vessel that will destroy the toxic material.

Escorted by an Italian coast guard vessel and other ships, the Ark Futura pulled into port as the sun rose Wednesday and anchored near the MV Cape Ray.

A helicopter buzzed overhead.

The Ark Futura last month picked up the last batch of Syrian chemical weapons — including mustard gas and the raw materials for sarin nerve gas — that were removed as part of the international effort to destroy Syria’s chemical stockpile.

The chemicals are to be loaded onto the Cape Ray later Wednesday and will be neutralized at sea.

AP – Fox – USA Today

#ANS2014

#danish, #italy

` Danish Fighter Jets Arrive in Estonia With War-Planes Being Stationed for First-Time in Baltic Nation ‘

#AceWorldNews – UKRAINE – Four Danish fighter jets have arrived in Estonia, the first time NATO warplanes will be stationed in the Baltic nation. (rfrl)

The deployment comes at a time when NATO is boosting its presence in eastern members of the alliance to allay concerns over what Western officials describe as Russia’s interference in Ukraine.

At a ceremony, Estonian Prime Minister Taavi Roivas praised NATO’s decision to deploy planes to the country, saying it will boost regional security.

Until now, NATO’s sole Baltic air base was in Siauliai, in northern Lithuania, from where alliance planes have carried out Baltic air patrols since 2004.

On April 28, some 150 U.S. troops also arrived in Estonia, part of a 600-strong force that Washington sent to Poland and the Baltics. (AFP/AP)

RFRL- AFP – AP

#ANS2014

#baltic, #danish, #estonia, #estonian, #lithuania, #nato, #poland, #russias, #ukraine