#AceNewsServices – April 26 – The leader of al Qaeda has reportedly called on Muslims to kidnap Westerners, particularly Americans, so they can be exchanged for militants being held in jails.
Ayman al-Zawahiri, who was previously the extremist movement’s number two until the death of Osama bin Laden, said he hoped it would enable the freeing of an Egyptian convicted of attacking New York landmarks.
“I ask Allah the Glorious to help us set free Dr Omar Abdel-Rahman and the rest of the captive Muslims,” Zawahiri said, according to the SITE website monitoring service.
“And I ask Allah to help us capture from among the Americans and the Westerners to enable us to exchange them for our captives.”
Abdel-Rahman, known as The Blind Sheikh, is serving a life term in the US after being convicted in 1995 of conspiring to attack several New York City landmarks, including the United Nations.
Among the offences he was convicted of was seditious conspiracy in the 1993 attack on the World Trade Centre.
Zawahiri’s interview was posted on-line. Reuters said it could not verify the authenticity of the Zawahiri tape, but that the voice resembled that of the al Qaeda leader.
Ace Related News:
1. April 26 – http://tinyurl.com/luk7vwl
#AceWorldNews – CAIRO – April 23 – A senior Egyptian police officer was killed when a bomb exploded under his car outside his home near Cairo on Wednesday, Reuters reported, citing state television and a security source.
Brigadier-General Ahmed Zaki was killed in the explosion in 6th of October City, 32km from the capital, according to state-run Nile news TV.
#AceWorldNews – CAIRO – April 16 – An Egyptian court on Wednesday sentenced 119 supporters of the Muslim Brotherhood of former President Mohamed Morsi to three years each in prison.
The ruling followed protests last October against his overthrow, judicial sources said.
More than 50 people were killed in the October 6 protests called by Morsi supporters. Judge Hazem Hashad acquitted six other people in the case.
#AceWorldNews – CAIRO – April 15 – Two Egyptian policemen and a civilian were wounded in a bomb attack targeting a security checkpoint in central Cairo on Tuesday, AFP reported.
The device placed between two cars near the checkpoint at Al-Galaa Square in Dokki neighbourhood, exploded at about 7:15am (05:15 GMT).
Previously, security officials said that assailants threw a home-made bomb at the checkpoint.
#AceNewServices – CAIRO – April 10 – (AP) – An Egyptian judge has dismissed videos presented by the prosecution as evidence in the trial of three Al-Jazeera journalists on terrorism charges.
The Thursday hearing saw footage, allegedly filmed by the detained journalists, which included a documentary on Somalia, a Kenyan press conference and another wildlife video.
The judge dismissed the footage on the grounds it is not related to the charges, which include providing a platform to the outlawed Muslim Brotherhood group.
The journalists, award-winning Australian correspondent Peter Greste, Canadian-Egyptian acting bureau chief Mohammed Fahmy and Egyptian Baher Mohammed, worked for the Qatar-based broadcaster’s English language channel.
Fahmy said he does not understand the reason for the trial, shouting from behind the bars of the defendants’ cage: “this is a joke!”
The trial was adjourned to April 22.
(ALJ) – The three men are charged with spreading false news and aiding the blacklisted Muslim Brotherhood of deposed Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi, who was overthrown by the army in July.
Al Jazeera strongly rejects the charges and demands for the immediate release of its staff.
Contributions from Al Jazeera – New Europe – AP
Ace Related News – March 31 – 20.44 GMT – #AceWorldNews – EGYPT – March 31 – Al Jazeera English journalists were denied bail by a court in Egypt, after spending nearly 100 days in jail since their arrest.http://wp.me/p165ui-4BP
#AceWorldNews – CAIRO – April 09 – (PressTV) – Egyptian security forces have attacked a large number of student protesters at university campuses across the North African country.
Riot police fired tear gas and birdshot at protesters at al-Azhar and Ain Shams universities in the capital Cairo on Wednesday.
Students had gathered on campuses there to denounce the army-backed government’s killing, detention and expulsion of hundreds of students for taking part in protests.
Meanwhile, student protesters at Zagazig and Mansoura universities burned US and Israeli flags to denounce their interference in Egypt’s internal affairs.
The crackdown came as a court in Cairo handed 17 anti-government protesters 3 to 7 years in jail for their role in street protests.
An Egyptian court issued a mass execution sentence for 529 supporters of the Muslim Brotherhood in March, prompting worldwide objections by international institutions and rights groups.
Tensions are running high across most of Egypt’s universities ahead of the upcoming presidential election. Students have held several rallies against a presidential bid by former defense minister, Abdel Fattah el-Sisi, who overthrew Egypt’s first democratically-elected president, Mohamed Morsi, around nine months ago.
Hundreds of protesters, mostly Morsi’s supporters, have been killed or wounded during the violence that has erupted since the removal of Morsi.
#AceWorldNews – CAIRO – April 04 – (RT) – The Egyptian government has approved the broadening of terrorism laws, following increased violence in the country.
For the new laws to come into force, they still need to be signed by interim President Adly Mansour.
The exact changes made to the laws have not been released so far. Egypt’s security forces have been the target of frequent attacks since a military-backed coup toppled former President Mohamed Morsi last July.
On Wednesday, a series of explosions killed three people outside Cairo University, including a police brigadier-general.
#AceWorldNews – CAIRO – April 01 – Prosecutors in Egypt are blaming five masked gunmen from the Muslim Brotherhood for killing a woman journalist and four others the day before in Cairo, a judicial source said Saturday(AL-AN)
A protester who attended the Islamist demonstration said it was the police who had opened fire.
Journalist Mayada Ashraf from the privately owned Al-Dustour newspaper was shot in the head as she covered clashes between police and supporters of deposed Islamist President Mohamed Morsi in the northern neighbourhood of Ein Shams.
#AceWorldNews – EGYPT – March 31 – An Egyptian court has banned all activities of Hamas in Egypt, in another sign that security forces are tightening their grip on the Palestinian group that runs the Gaza Strip.
Hamas is an offshoot of Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood, which has been declared a terrorist group by Egypt’s army-backed government and has faced a security crackdown since the military ousted one of its leaders, Mohamed Morsi, from the presidency last July.
The decision harms the image of Egypt and its role towards the Palestinian cause. It reflects a form of standing against
“The court has ordered the banning of Hamas work and activities in Egypt,” the judge, who asked to remain anonymous, told Reuters news agency.
#AceWorldNews – EGYPT – March 30 – An Egyptian soldier, driving a bus of police officers, was killed Sunday when the vehicle was attacked by militants in the town of Al-Arish in the Sinai Peninsula, according to Reuters citing a source in the army.
Three of the policemen who were inside the bus were wounded in the attack, for which no one has yet claimed responsibility.
Egypt’s Foreign Ministry says there’s been a surge of violence by the Sinai-based militants since the army ousted Islamist President Mohamed Morsi in July 2013.
#AceWorldNews – ALEXANDRIA – March 30 – A court in Alexandria has sentenced two Egyptian pro-Morsi supporters to death for throwing two people off the roof of a building during last summer protests.
Both men were found guilty of murdering a child and a young man during mass clashes between pro-Morsi supporters and their opponents.
Sixty more people are awaiting a verdict for their participation in clashes, after Mohamed Morsi was ousted in a coup in July.
Read More: The roof incident happened July 5 of last year, two days after Morsi’s ouster. It was one of the most dramatic acts of violence on a day in which 16 other people were killed in Alexandria.
Judge Sayed Abdel-Latif said he would issue the verdict against another 60 defendants charged with violence that day in another two months. It was not clear why the ruling was split into two. http://www.canada.com/news/Egypt+court+sentences+supporters+ousted+president+death+throwing/9677322/story.html
Ace Related News:
1. March 25 – 15.45 GMT – The previous day, more than 500 supporters of deposed Islamist President Mohamed Morsi were sentenced to death. http://wp.me/p165ui-4wV
#AceWorldNews – Cairo – March 26 – A health ministry official said that the Egyptian people were killed near the University of Cairo on Wednesday when demonstrators clashed supporters of former President Mohamed Morsi, with the security forces.
The official told Reuters that eight people were wounded, but gave no further details.
The protesters were demonstrating against a court ruling issued on Monday to refer the papers more than 500 people alleged to be members of the Muslim Brotherhood, the Mufti of the Republic as a prelude to judgement executed.
#AceWorldNews – CAIRO – March 26 – Egyptian army chief Field Marshal Abdel Fattah al-Sisi was meeting military leaders Wednesday to tell them he was resigning as defence minister to run for the presidency, Reuters said, citing a report of the state-run Al-Ahram newspaper.
Sisi was expected to announce the decision in a statement to be broadcast, sources say. Sisi, 59, is popular among Egyptians who supported the army’s decision to remove President Mohamed Morsi from power one year into his term.
#AceWorldNews – CAIRO – March 26 – The Egyptian authorities have resorted to unprecedented measures to counter sexual assault in the country’s resorts. Egypt started revoking licenses from hotels after several cases of assault of tourists had been reported.
Egypt’s Tourism Minister Hisham Zaazou said that such hotels Sharm Holiday and Hilton Sparks Bay2 have already been blacklisted.
The minister said that two incidents with British tourists took place in these hotels, and the administration failed to take appropriate measures.
Numerous cases of sexual assault in Egyptian hotels are registered annually, and sometimes harassment is accompanied by violence and beating.
Zaazou said the Tourism Ministry intends to react to all cases of indecent behaviour toward foreign guests. The measures may range from large fines to revoking hotel’s licenses.
The situation with tourists’ security has deteriorated since 2011 Egyptian revolution. The number of rapes and sexual harassment of tourists and local women has sharply increased.
Though such crimes are punishable by long prison terms and even death in Egypt, many hotel workers and taxi drivers commit assaults.
Egyptian and Cairo News
#AceWorldNews – UNITED NATIONS – March 25 – The UN human-rights office said Tuesday that an Egyptian court’s decision to sentence 529 members of the Muslim Brotherhood to death contravened international law, Reuters reported.
Monday’s ruling is seen as the biggest mass death penalty handed out in modern Egyptian history.
“The mass imposition of the death penalty after a trial rife with procedural irregularities is in breach of international human rights law,” UN human rights spokesman Rupert Colville said in Geneva.
The Muslim Brotherhood’s leader and 682 others went on trial Tuesday in the same court.
Ace Related News – March 24 – 11.06 GMT – Extract – #AceWorldNews – CAIRO – March 24 – In Egypt, 529 activists in the banned the association Muslim Brotherhood were sentenced to death.
The decision was made by the province of Minya Criminal Court http://wp.me/p165ui-4vi
#AceWorldNews – CAIRO – March 24 – Unidentified gunmen opened fire on Israeli troops from Egyptian territory, reports Sky News – Arabiya.
None of the soldiers was hurt.
It has not yet known who exactly shot at Israelis.
Representatives of the Egyptian Armed Forces have already stated that this information is checked.
According to them, in the place where shooting supposedly conducted, investigators, military prosecutors and intelligence are working.
They should clarify the circumstances of the incident.
The Israeli side confirmed that the shooting took place and pointed out nobody was hurt.
#AceWorldNews – CAIRO – March 24 – In Egypt, 529 activists in the banned the association Muslim Brotherhood were sentenced to death.
The decision was made by the province of Minya Criminal Court .
All suspects were charged with assault on a police station and murder of a group of officers, including Colonel Mustafa Ragab, deputy police chief.
After the attack on the police-station last year in the midst of the army and Islamist opposition, the attackers seized large quantities of weapons and ammunition.
Another 16 people are justified. As noted, such a harsh verdict was publicly announced just after one session of court.
According to Egyptian law practice, all death sentences to the approval by the Grand Mufti of Egypt Ali Gomaa, after which the court on the newly meeting re-announce the final verdict.
Middle Eastern Media and News Services
#AceWorldNews – TRIPOLI – 22 March – Unidentified gunmen kidnapped a Tunisian diplomat in the Libyan capital of Tripoli on Saturday, according to Tunisia’s foreign minister.
This is the latest in a long list of diplomatic abductions in the country; in January, a South Korean diplomat was kidnapped as he was leaving his office in Tripoli.
Five Egyptian diplomats were also briefly abducted.
Three years after the revolt against former leader Muammar Gaddafi, Libya is struggling to impose security as a melee of former rebels, Islamist militants, and ex-fighters refuse to disarm.
#AceWorldNews A 13 year-old boy was shot in violent clashes between police and protesters in Egypt’s south on Wednesday.
“Amr Aly Mohamed was killed by a gun shot during clashes between police and protesters,” deputy head of the Ministry of Health for the city of Beni Suef, Ahmed Anwar, told Reuters on Wednesday.
The protesters were rallying in support of ousted President Mohammed Morsi.
Since he was removed from his post by the army last year, violence and mass-rallies have been frequent across Egyptian cities, including Cairo.
#AceWorldNews The Gaza Strip’s sole power plant resumed operations on Monday following a two-day pause, Palestinian officials said.
The shut-down was due to a lack of fuel, following Israeli government’s decision to close all borders with Gaza and suspend the delivery of all commercial goods to the region. Israel eventually allowed in 110,000 litres of fuel for the plant on Sunday and 500,000 litres more on Monday, authority coordinator of supplies into Gaza Strip told Reuters.
The fuel is paid for by Qatar. The plant is a major source of electricity for Gaza’s 1.8 million people, living under an Egyptian-Israeli blockade.
Related News: March 15 18.43 http://wp.me/p165ui-4jW