#AceWorldNews – CAIRO – May 03 – An Egyptian criminal court has sentenced 102 defendants it describes as Muslim Brotherhood supporters to 10 years in prison each on charges of violent rioting in a Cairo neighbourhood and possession of weapons.
Egypt’s state news agency said the Saturday ruling puts the defendants under police surveillance for a period of five years after the end of their prison sentences.
Two other defendants were jailed for seven years in the case for two others over charges of violence and rioting last July.
The defendants were found guilty of charges of assaulting private and public property, murdering a citizen and attempting to murder others at al-Dhaher district east of Cairo last July following Morsi’s overthrow.
The ruling is linked to demonstrations staged to protest the overthrow of Islamist President Mohammed Morsi by the military in July. Morsi’s ouster followed days of mass demonstrations demanding his resignation.
The prosecutors charged the defendants with gathering illegally with intent to inflict material and moral harm to others and public property, which led to one death.
Egypt’s State News Agency – AP – Egyptian News
#AceWorldNews – LONDON – April 28 – The Qatar-based satellite network Al Jazeera served Egypt with a $150 million compensation claim on Monday for what it said was damage to its media business inflicted by Cairo’s military rulers, a step likely to worsen Qatari-Egyptian relations.
In a move aimed at drawing attention to what Al Jazeera calls Egypt’s unacceptable treatment of it and its journalists, a lawyer acting for the pan-Arab channel told Reuters he had handed a legal document detailing the claim to a representative of the Egyptian government.
Egypt had begun a “sustained campaign” against Al Jazeera and its journalists after the army toppled Islamist President Mohamed Mursi in July last year, said Cameron Doley, a lawyer at London law firm Carter-Ruck, which is handling the case.
“Al Jazeera invested substantial sums in Egypt,” said Doley. “The effect of this recent campaign by the military government is that this investment has been expropriated. Egypt is bound by international law to pay Al Jazeera just and effective compensation.”
Cairo had six months to settle the claim, filed in the context of a bilateral investment treaty, he said, or face an international tribunal. There was no immediate comment from the Egyptian authorities.
REUTERS – AL-JAZEERA
Ace Related News:
- April 28 – http://tinyurl.com/kf5gle7
#AceWorldNews – CAIRO, April 28 – The court of the Egyptian al-Minya province has sentenced 683 Muslim Brotherhood members to death.
The sentence will now have to be confirmed by Egypt’s Grand Mufti.
The court has also upheld the death sentence for 37 out of 529 Muslim Brotherhood members that had been sentenced earlier. The rest of them will serve life in prison.
All suspects were charged with violence and killings during last year’s demonstrations in Cairo against the ouster of president Mohammad Morsi.
#AceWorldNews – CAIRO – April 09 – (PressTV) – Egyptian security forces have attacked a large number of student protesters at university campuses across the North African country.
Riot police fired tear gas and birdshot at protesters at al-Azhar and Ain Shams universities in the capital Cairo on Wednesday.
Students had gathered on campuses there to denounce the army-backed government’s killing, detention and expulsion of hundreds of students for taking part in protests.
Meanwhile, student protesters at Zagazig and Mansoura universities burned US and Israeli flags to denounce their interference in Egypt’s internal affairs.
The crackdown came as a court in Cairo handed 17 anti-government protesters 3 to 7 years in jail for their role in street protests.
An Egyptian court issued a mass execution sentence for 529 supporters of the Muslim Brotherhood in March, prompting worldwide objections by international institutions and rights groups.
Tensions are running high across most of Egypt’s universities ahead of the upcoming presidential election. Students have held several rallies against a presidential bid by former defense minister, Abdel Fattah el-Sisi, who overthrew Egypt’s first democratically-elected president, Mohamed Morsi, around nine months ago.
Hundreds of protesters, mostly Morsi’s supporters, have been killed or wounded during the violence that has erupted since the removal of Morsi.
#AceWorldNews – CAIRO – April 04 – (RT) – The Egyptian government has approved the broadening of terrorism laws, following increased violence in the country.
For the new laws to come into force, they still need to be signed by interim President Adly Mansour.
The exact changes made to the laws have not been released so far. Egypt’s security forces have been the target of frequent attacks since a military-backed coup toppled former President Mohamed Morsi last July.
On Wednesday, a series of explosions killed three people outside Cairo University, including a police brigadier-general.
#AceWorldNews – EGYPT – March 31 – An Egyptian court has banned all activities of Hamas in Egypt, in another sign that security forces are tightening their grip on the Palestinian group that runs the Gaza Strip.
Hamas is an offshoot of Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood, which has been declared a terrorist group by Egypt’s army-backed government and has faced a security crackdown since the military ousted one of its leaders, Mohamed Morsi, from the presidency last July.
The decision harms the image of Egypt and its role towards the Palestinian cause. It reflects a form of standing against
“The court has ordered the banning of Hamas work and activities in Egypt,” the judge, who asked to remain anonymous, told Reuters news agency.
#AceWorldNews – CAIRO – March 30- Presidential elections in Egypt will be held on May 26-27, Egypt’s Supreme Presidential Electoral Commission announced on Sunday.
A run-off poll will be appointed in case neither of the candidates wins a convincing victory in the first round of elections, the commission said.
#AceWorldNews – EGYPT – March 30 – An Egyptian soldier, driving a bus of police officers, was killed Sunday when the vehicle was attacked by militants in the town of Al-Arish in the Sinai Peninsula, according to Reuters citing a source in the army.
Three of the policemen who were inside the bus were wounded in the attack, for which no one has yet claimed responsibility.
Egypt’s Foreign Ministry says there’s been a surge of violence by the Sinai-based militants since the army ousted Islamist President Mohamed Morsi in July 2013.
#AceWorldNews A 13 year-old boy was shot in violent clashes between police and protesters in Egypt’s south on Wednesday.
“Amr Aly Mohamed was killed by a gun shot during clashes between police and protesters,” deputy head of the Ministry of Health for the city of Beni Suef, Ahmed Anwar, told Reuters on Wednesday.
The protesters were rallying in support of ousted President Mohammed Morsi.
Since he was removed from his post by the army last year, violence and mass-rallies have been frequent across Egyptian cities, including Cairo.
#AceWorldNews says sixteen people have been killed in two weather-related bus accidents following Egypt’s heavy rain, which has caused floods and damage in several regions, Al-Ahram News on-line reported.
The deadly incidents occurred in Minya governorate in Upper Egypt, near the resort town of Hurghada on the Red Sea.
Authorities declared an emergency alert as the town of St. Catherine in Sinai was hit by a flood. Residents of the town are reportedly in a state of panic, with the flooding expected to reach its main market area.
#AceWorldNews says that an Egyptian court on Tuesday banned all activities of Hamas in the country, Reuters reported.
Hamas is an offshoot of Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood, which has been declared a terrorist group by the authorities.
“The court has ordered the banning of Hamas work and activities in Egypt,” a judge said.
The move is seen as a further sign that Cairo’s military-backed government aims to squeeze the Palestinian Islamist group that rules neighbouring Gaza.
#AceWorldNews says that Egypt’s former President Hosni Mubarak and his two sons are facing charges that they wasted millions of dollars in public funds allocated to renovate presidential palaces, AP reported.
They appeared before a Cairo court on Wednesday, the first session in the case after a months-long hiatus.
The trial initially opened in August, but the court sent it back to the prosecutor general who added four new defendants.