#AceWorldNews – SOUTH KOREA – Nov.11 – The captain of the South Korean ferry that sank in April was jailed for 36 years Tuesday.
Prosecutors had demanded the death penalty, but a three-judge court said they failed to prove the captain had acted with an intention to kill.
He was convicted of gross negligence and dereliction of duty, including abandoning his vessel while hundreds of schoolchildren and other passengers remained trapped on board.
Three other senior crew members were sentenced to jail terms of between 15 and 30 years.
#AceNewsServices – DISASTER‘s – May 17 – When l first came onto my news today l found these updates of theses two major disasters. What came to mind was both could have been avoided, as they were caused by the owners of the mine and ferry companies. Their job being to make sure people’s lives were protected, by health and safety being a priority.
These two disasters so far account for 584 deaths and have affected families, leaving children with out fathers and mothers.
The REASON IS SIMPLE PEOPLE WERE FORGOTTEN IN PURSUIT OF PROFIT.
Death toll rises to 299 in Turkey mine disaster
A fire in a mine in western Turkey is hindering efforts to find three workers who are still believed to be trapped. The accident, which happened in the town of Soma has now killed 299 miners, with 15 bodies recovered overnight.
Hopes are fading for those still stuck as they have now been underground for four days, after an explosion released carbon monoxide through the mine. The disaster triggered angry protests across Turkey, aimed at mine owners accused of ignoring safety for profit, and at Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan’s government who is too close to industry bosses and insensitive in its reaction to the tragedy.
Death toll in South Korean ferry disaster rises to 285
The death toll from the South Korean ferry tragedy rose to 285 after rescue divers recovered an additional body on Saturday morning from the ferry that sank off South Korea’s south-west coast last month, Yonhap news agency reported, citing officials.
Rescuers brought up the body of a man during their search operations. Nineteen people still remain unaccounted for. Rescue efforts have been difficult due to strong ocean currents. Some bodies have been recovered from as much as two kilometres away from the wreckage of the ship. Several crew members have been arrested in relation to the sinking.
Maybe one day company mine and ferry owners, will put, health and safety first ……….. maybe just …… maybe …………. God willing ..
At least ten people have died after a ferry carrying hundreds of passengers capsized in Bangladesh. The vessel was travelling on the river Meghna near the capital Dhaka when it was caught in a storm at 3.30pm local time (10.30am UK time). Local officials said it was unclear how many people were onboard but it could be up to 350 passengers.
“We are receiving confusing figures on how many passengers were on board when it sank, but the number could range from 200 to 350,” district government administrator Saiful Hasan said. Some survivors managed to swim ashore despite the strong currents and high waves. “There was a sudden storm and we requested the boat-swain to anchor at the river side but he ignored us … and all of a sudden the ferry capsized within a few seconds,” said Abdur Rahmann, one of the survivors. A rescue vessel sent to the scene in Munshiganj district, approximately 30 miles (50km) south of Dhaka, arrived three hours after the MV Miraj-4 ferry, which was travelling to the southern district of Shariatpur, sank.
Local police chief Ferdous Ahmed said: “The ferry is completely under water. We are now trying to locate it.” Firefighters and the coast guard were involved in the search for survivors. Police officer Oliur Rahman, who was at the scene, said the dead included women and children. Mr Ahmed said hundreds of relatives gathered on the river bank as bodies were laid in lines so they could be identified. Ferry accidents are common in Bangladesh, a delta nation of 153 million people, which is criss-crossed by more than 200 rivers. Overcrowding, poorly maintained vessels and design flaws are often blamed.
#AceNewsServices – SEOUL – April 30 – (Reuters) – The operator of the South Korean ferry that capsized and sank this month with the loss of about 300 lives was apparently being squeezed by competition from budget airlines and had to increasingly rely on its cargo business.
The Sewol ferry sank on a routine voyage south from the port of Incheon to the holiday island of Jeju on April 16.
Investigators have not determined the cause of the accident but media has reported that the ship was overloaded with cargo and it may have been poorly stowed.
The ship was carrying 476 passengers and crew and had a capacity for 956.
The Korean Register of Shipping, which tested and certified the Sewol, stipulated that it should be loaded with no more than 1,070 metric tons of cargo and passengers combined.
It is not clear how much cargo it was carrying. Prosecutors have said determining the weight of the cargo is a key part of their investigation because of suspicion of overloading.
Latest news from the rising total of recovered bodies now stands are over 200 and still rising, with a number of the crew-members having been arrested. As l reported over the last few days a number of people including the country’s Prime Minister Chung Hong-won, who said he bore some responsibility for the handling of the situation.
Ace Related News:
Reuters – April 29 – http://tinyurl.com/qjry8d4
#AceWorldNews – SEOUL – April 27 – South Korean Prime Minister Chung Hong-won has resigned amid criticism of the government’s handling of the sinking of a passenger ferry. http://wp.me/p165ui-4Yp
BBC News – April 27 – http://tinyurl.com/od5oha5
April 26 – 13.02 GMT: (PressTV) April 26 – All 15 crew members involved in the navigation of a ferry that sank off South Korea’s south-western coast are now in custody.Divers have recovered 183 bodies from the submerged vessel, which capsized on its way from Incheon to the island of Jeju on April 16. http://wp.me/p165ui-4XV
April 22 19.06 GMT – #AceWorldNews – SEOUL – April 22 – Two more crew-members from the sunken South Korean ferry Sewol were arrested Tuesday, bringing to nine the total number facing charges, CNN reported. http://wp.me/p165ui-4US
April 21 10.22 GMT: http://wp.me/p165ui-4Tz
April 18 14.36 GMT: http://wp.me/p165ui-4R1
April 16 20.12 GMT: http://wp.me/p165ui-4Oh
#AceWorldNews says latest reports on the “South Sudan” ferry accident are between 200 and 300 people, have drowned. The report went onto to say that the accident on the a ferry on the White Nile river, happened whilst people were fleeing the fighting in the city of Malakal. “The drowned include both women and children.
The boat was overloaded,” army spokesman Philip Aguer told reporters. “They all drowned. They were fleeing the fighting that broke out again in Malakal.”
More than 1,000 people have been killed, while 230,000 have been forced from their homes over the past three weeks of fighting between government forces and those loyal to sacked Vice President Riek Machar.