#AceNewsReport – CHINA:Aug.05: Beijing has stopped construction in the South China Sea, the country’s foreign minister said on Wednesday.
“China has already stopped,” Reuters quoted Wang Yi as saying at a meeting of Southeast Asian foreign ministers where the disputed waters have taken center stage. “Just take an airplane to take a look.”
Beijing and the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) agreed to speed up consultations on a Code of Conduct for the South China Sea, the foreign ministers of China and Thailand said.
Ace Worldwide News
#AceNewsReport – TOKYO:June.20: Tokyo has offered aid of $3.5 million through global agencies, such as the UN High Commissioner for Refugees, to help Rohingya Muslims fleeing Myanmar, Japanese Foreign Minister Fumio Kishida said Saturday.
The money will be used to provide for food and shelter, as well as to fund data analysis of the refugees’ maritime movements. In 2015, at least 25,000 people have been taken to boats from Myanmar and Bangladesh to countries such as Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand, the UN estimates.
The Rohingya people are considered “stateless entities” in mainly Buddhist Myanmar. Some 1.3 million Rohingyas live in the country’s western Arakan state.
Myanmar views them as illegal Bangledeshi immigrants and refuses to recognize them as an ethnic group.
Ace Worldwide News
#AceWorldNews – TRIPOLI – May 13 – Jordan’s ambassador to Libya has been freed after being abducted by gunmen in the capital, Tripoli, last month.
Fawaz al-Itan was released unharmed and was on his way home on Tuesday, Jordanian officials said.
The kidnappers had reportedly demanded the release of a Libyan Islamist militant in exchange, but it is unclear whether this was granted.
Diplomats have been the targets of a number of abductions in Libya in recent months amid continuing instability.
The central government has struggled to assert its authority over the armed groups and tribesmen who helped end Muammar Gaddafi‘s 41-year rule in 2011.
Mr Itan was kidnapped in the Libyan capital on 15 April when masked gunmen shot at his car, wounding the driver.
Libyan state media quoted Jordan’s Foreign Minister, Nasser Judeh, as saying he was already on his way back to his homeland after his release on Tuesday.
“The ambassador is doing well and he is now making his way back to his country,” Mr Judeh was quoted as saying.
He gave no further details about the circumstances of the release.
Four weeks ago masked gunmen seized the Jordanian ambassador in the Libyan capital on Tuesday, officials said, the latest in a wave of abductions and kidnappings that have swept Libya underscoring the lawlessness in the North African nation since the 2011 overthrow of late dictator Muammar Qadhafi.
According to the spokesman of the Libyan Foreign Ministry, several masked gunmen in civilian clothes and in two cars opened fire at Ambassador Fawaz al-Etan’s vehicle early Tuesday morning in Tripoli.
The assailants wounded the Jordanian ambassador’s driver and forced Mr. al-Etan out at gunpoint, said the spokesman, Said al-Aswad.
Jordan’s Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Sabah al-Rafie confirmed the kidnapping but had no further details.
She said the Jordanian government was following the matter closely with the Libyan authorities.
The motives behind the abduction were not clear and no one immediately claimed responsibility for the attack.
English: Coat of Arms of the Central African Republic (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
EU foreign ministers on Monday approved the launch of a military mission in the Central African Republic, Itar-Tass reported. The decision will be a judicial basis for the EUFOR RCA mission and is the next step for its quick deployment, according to a document signed in Brussels.
The mission is the bloc’s first full military land operation in six years. About 1,600 French troops deployed in the country in December have tried to stem violence between Christian militias and largely Muslim Seleka rebels, who ousted President Francois Bozize last March.
#AceBeakingNews says `RIA Novosti‘ reports that `Second Round of Syria Talks’ may start Feb.10 – Official’
The second round of peace talks between the Syrian government and opposition could start in Geneva on February 10, Syrian Deputy Foreign Minister Faisal Mikdad said, RIA Novosti reported. Agreement on the date has been reached, he told reporters, adding that at least the government delegation had approved it. The next round of talks is likely to take a week, he added. Representatives of the delegation from the opposition have rejected three documents proposed by the government, including one on securing territorial integrity and condemning external interference in the country.