#AceNewsReport – Aug.09: A top Canadian Jewish group expressed deep concern on Thursday regarding a speaker at a scheduled conference of Muslim students who has expressed violently antisemitic sentiments…..
#AceDailyNews says its being reported that a Jewish group is ‘shocked’ at a student’s invitation to a cleric who wants genocide of Jews acording to a top Speaker Who Expressed ‘Genocidal Antisemitism,’” Algemeiner, August 5, 2021:
The Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs (CIJA) described the invitation to cleric Tareq Al-Suwaidan by the Muslim Student Leadership conference, organized by the Muslim Association of Canada (MAC), as “shocking,” describing Al-Suwaidan as “a notorious extremist.”
The CIJA pointed to a series of antisemitic statements by the preacher, including serving as the author of a “Jewish encyclopedia” that denies the Holocaust and describes the Jews as “the most hostile enemies of the Muslim nation.”
Al-Suwaidan has said, “All the mothers of the Islamic nation … should suckle their babies on the hatred of the sons of Zion. We hate them. They are our enemies.”
He then openly engaged in a call for genocide, saying, “We should instill this in the souls of our children until a new generation rises and wipes them off the face of the earth.”
Al-Suwaidan has also engaged in antisemitic conspiracy theories, asserting that “All the wars throughout history … were started by the sons of Zion.”
Due to his extremist statements, Al-Suwaidan has been previously banned from Belgium and Italy.
Shimon Koffler Fogel, the President and CEO of the CIJA, commented, “It is shocking that any organization, especially a registered charity in Canada, would give a platform to those promoting a genocidal form of antisemitism.”
“What we need are initiatives that bring young people together, not a preacher who promotes extreme hate and incites religious violence,” he asserted….
#AceNewsReport – June.10: The massacre, in an enclave supposed to be under UN protection, was the worst atrocity in Europe since World War Two.
Srebrenica Masssacre: UN court rejects Mladic genocide appeal upheld the life sentence for his role in the killing of about 8,000 Bosnian Muslim (Bosniak) men and boys in Srebrenica in 1995: Profile: The “Butcher of Bosnia”
It is not yet clear where Mladic will serve the rest of his sentence.
The five-person appeals panel in The Hague found Mladic had failed to provide evidence to invalidate the previous convictions against him, although the presiding judge dissented on almost all counts.
However, the appeals chamber also dismissed the appeal brought by the prosecution, which had sought a second conviction against Mladic over crimes committed against Bosnian Muslims and Bosnian Croats in some other areas during the war.
The verdict was delayed by technical difficulties, which continued throughout the session.
Mladic had denounced the tribunal during his appeal hearing in August, calling it a child of Western powers. His lawyers had argued he was far away from Srebrenica when the massacre happened.
Mladic, known as the “Butcher of Bosnia”, was one of the last suspects to face trial at the UN’s International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia. He was arrested in 2011 after 16 years on the run.
In 2017 he was found guilty of genocide over Srebrenica, but acquitted of genocide over his army’s 1992 campaign, in which Bosniaks and Bosnian Croats were expelled from their homes or detained in appalling conditions.
ReutersMladic (L) was a general under Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadzic (1995 pic)
His initial 40-year sentence for genocide and war crimes was later increased to life in prison in 2019 – the remainder of which he will serve in the UK.
What has the reaction been?
Survivor Semso Osmanovic, who lost 23 family members in the massacre, told the BBC’s Guy De Launey that the verdict meant he finally felt able to return to his home town.
“I was living the whole of my life for this moment – to see justice being done by the international court. And hoping to bring my children and my wife to Srebrenica,” he said. “That’s the place I was born.” Bosnian Foreign Minister Bisera Turkovic: Glorification of genocide must be prohibited
Sehida Abdurahmanovic, whose husband was killed in Srebrenica, watched the verdict at a memorial centre in Potocari.
“Mothers who barely hear, who can not see, those sick and can hardly walk, came to see this. As it was yesterday, everything is still fresh,” she told BBC News Serbian.
“It is of utmost importance that he got this life sentence and that genocide in Srebrenica was confirmed.”
In Sarajevo, one Bosnian newspaper led its online coverage of the verdict with the headline: “Look at the butcher’s tears when he realises that he will die behind bars.”
But the reaction among Mladic’s supporters was very different.
The former general’s son, Darko Mladic, said his father “did not have a chance for a fair trial” and described the proceedings as “a travelling circus”.
The current president of the Bosnian Serb enclave, Zeljka Cvijanovic, said the tribunal had “once again confirmed its role as anti-Serb court, which establishes responsibility for war crimes not by evidence, but by the ethnicity of the indicted”.
Long wait for justice
Some of the survivors who travelled to The Hague hoped that Ratko Mladic would use his last public appearance to offer an apology that could help reconciliation in the still divided region.
When the final judgment came, the man guilty of severing so many lives offered only silence.
Satko Mujagic, who survived the notorious Omarska death camp, told me: “I’m sorry to say but I really can see evil in his eyes, he has no sorry, he really feels nothing, he doesn’t care. He could have taken the floor and said I’m sorry it went so far. And it’s a shame because his ideology, of division of nationalism, of hatred, is still living and in many people after him.”
And one dissenting opinion, from the presiding judge, could inflame tensions and be used as ammunition by those who seek to deny the genocide and glorify the former general.
Speaking outside court, chief prosecutor Serge Brammertz declared: “The time has come to accept the truth, Mladic ranks amongst the most notorious war criminals in modern history… and his name should be consigned to the list of history’s most depraved and barbarous figures.”
Reuters: Survivors waited for the verdict in Bosnia
What happened during the appeal?
The hearing in August had been delayed by Mladic’s health problems and coronavirus restrictions.
He remained defiant throughout, attacking both the court and the prosecutor.
Speaking about Srebrenica, he said he had signed an agreement with the Bosnian Muslim army to honour it and other protected areas, and suggested he was not to blame for any violation of these zones.
But prosecution lawyer Laurel Baig said Mladic had been convicted of some of “the most heinous crimes of the 20th Century”.
“Mladic was in charge of the Srebrenica operation,” she said. “He used the forces under his command to execute thousands of men and boys.”
A defence lawyer, Dragan Ivetic, denied his client had played a role, saying: “Mr Mladic is not a villain. He was someone who at all times was trying to help the UN do the job it couldn’t do in Srebrenica at a humanitarian level.”What happened at Srebrenica? Explained in under two minutes
How did the genocide happen?
Between 1991 and 1999 the socialist state of Yugoslavia broke up violently into separate entities covering the territories of what were then Serbia and Montenegro, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Macedonia and Slovenia.
Of all the conflicts, the war in Bosnia was the bloodiest as, ethnically and religiously, it was the most divided.
Yugoslav army units, withdrawn from Croatia and renamed the Bosnian Serb Army, carved out a huge swathe of Serb-dominated territory in Bosnia.
AFPSurvivors marked the 25th anniversary of the massacre last year
More than a million Bosniaks and Croats were driven from their homes in so-called ethnic cleansing, and Serbs suffered too. By the time the war ended in 1995, at least 100,000 people had been killed.
At the end of the war in 1995, Mladic went into hiding and lived in obscurity in Serbia, protected by family and elements of the security forces.
He was finally tracked down and arrested at a cousin’s house in rural northern Serbia in 2011.
#AceNewsServices – Featured Post: Jan 03 – The silence on the genocide is our backyard is shameful and startling, for as we speak another exercise is being carried out by the Indonesian security forces that are intentionally raping and killing women and children civilians at some massacre point inside resource-rich province of Papua.
During 1950s, West Papua was under Dutch Colonial rule, but by 1961 were moving towards independence with their own flag, the ‘Morning Star’, and Papuan government officials.
In the early sixties, however, “Conflict erupted over West Papua” between The Netherlands and Indonesia, and a United Nations agreement gave control of the colony to Indonesia for six years. This was to be followed by a referendum.
These six years of Indonesian control saw well-documented cases of violence and abuse by the military.
‘ 2nd August 1969 Act of Free Choice became Act of NO Choice ‘
Then in 1969, Indonesia conducted a referendum called the Act of Free Choice. Only 1025 Papuans, representing a population of one-million were hand-picked to vote and under duress, opted to remain a part of Indonesia.
‘ Demonstration against Rape & Abuse of Women & Children ‘
Despite a critical report by a UN official who was present at the voting results, citing serious violations, the UN shamefully sanctioned the vote and West Papua officially became a part of Indonesia. Most Papuans’ call this referendum the ‘Act of No Choice.’”
The sheer complicity of United Nations, Indonesia and European Union’s democracy Netherlands helped the beginning of the end for the WEST Papuans who are ethnically and culturally totally diverse to the so-called Indonesian identities.
Today the world looks away as Indonesian enjoys complete impunity to conduct the racial genocide of indigenous Papuans. Since 1962, some 1962,100, 000 people have been killed or disappeared thanks to the wonderful military operation going on inside Papua. The Free West Papua has recorded with evidence the issue of mass-killings, sexual violence including rape and torture of girls and women.
What strikes me most in the context of west papuan struggle to self-determination is the multifaceted stakeholders that hold the reins that hinder the people of Papua. Nobel laureate American diplomat Henry Kissinger of the Vietnam war fame and chairing director of the infamous company Freeport-Mcmahon that has enjoyed a great stake into the gold mining missions should not be forgotten, off-course American, followed by Australia with tall claims of peace and democracy are carrying out the plundering of the world’s biggest coal and gold mine owing people out of their resources.
The issue of sexual violence to silence the whole struggle of the papuans continues to be shrouded into mysteries and unheard because foreign media and journalists presence, as well as aid agencies are banned from entering the province. Never-the-less, local media activism is ensuring to share the plight of the people stuck within this nightmare.
A report “Enough Already” has been documented with help from West Papuan women representation and highlights the horrifying tales of violence against women that took place during 1963-2009. It was presented to the Papuan Indigenous People’s Council, an official body established by the Special Autonomy law for Papua to protect Indigenous People’s rights, and to the National Women’s Commission.
Real Life Testimonies of West Papuan Women
–In 1967, military operations were conducted in the town of Biak and began to move to the villages. In 1969 [we] went home to Swaipak, Biak staying there during the Sadar [military] operations. The Yospan [Papua’s traditional dance] became a threat to parents, because they had to let their young daughters [participate]; in fact, some parents pressured their daughters to go to the Yospan rather than be targeted with physical violence or threatened… In the middle of the night the people were woken up… the young girls were made to dance Yospan then have sexual relations. The Indonesian troops said to the parents and husbands, ‘You must understand.’
– During a dance party organized by the troops in Jayapura district, around 1989, a fight broke out between some community members. Some soldiers intervened: The soldiers brought my sister-in-law and told her to swallow a battery, until she was coughing. They wouldn’t allow us to bring her to the hospital . The next day, they brought me and [a young man who was involved in the fight] to their post . They opened our clothes, and told us to stand in water for hours . Then they made us sleep on the beach for about one hour. We were given no food; we were very hungry. Then they forced [the young man] to rape me. After that they made us walk to the post naked; at the post a picture was taken of us.
But we also heard stories of violence in the home:
Fighting in families in my neighborhood usually happens after our husbands consume alcohol CT (a local brand). When we wives are beaten to almost half dead by our drunken husbands, the crazed husbands don’t get arrested or taken away. Maybe this is also because other than some people who sell CT, there are also policemen who sell and consume (alcohol). So how will the police take care of security?
Leonie Tangahma, one the West Papuans negotiators based in Netherlands recently said that “women now don’t have a choice but to be involved. In the past it was because the men were fighting, we had to make sure that we were there for them and we could provide for the food and all that. But after a while we have been taken more positions actively as demonstrators, so we do have a role within the struggle itself.”
The world slumbers on a soundless sleep. But, the west papuan women marred by four decades of oppression and subjugation have risen and as they rise, let us all rise with them in their struggle for self-determination and liberation from atrocities.
We shall see the rise of ‘Morning Star’ soon. Long Live West Papuans!
#AceNewsServices – CAMBODIA – October 17 – A former Khmer Rouge leader branded his conviction for crimes against humanity a “child’s fairytale” at a UN-backed court in Cambodia Friday, as he faced further charges of genocide, forced marriage and rape AFP said.
A former Khmer Rouge leader branded his conviction for crimes against humanity a “child’s fairytale” at a UN-backed court in Cambodia Friday, as he faced further charges of genocide, forced marriage and rape.
Nuon Chea, 88, known as “Brother Number Two”, has already been given a life sentence along with ex-head of state Khieu Samphan, 83, after a separate trial at the same court in August for crimes against humanity.
Top Khmer Rouge leaders found guilty of crimes against humanity, sentenced to life in prison
As his genocide trial resumed Friday, Nuon Chea spoke in court for the first time since his conviction to accuse judges of ignoring his evidence in August.
“You presented a story that was simple but ultimately just a child’s fairytale… you made a bitterly disappointing mockery of justice,” he told the court.
The ex-leader also called for the judges to be disqualified and his defence team to boycott further hearings until a decision on the subject is made.
They have already been given life sentences after a separate trial at the same court in August for crimes against humanity.
The two became the first top figures to be jailed from a regime responsible for the deaths of up to 2 million Cambodians in 1975-1979.
AceWorldNews – NEW YORK – September 26 – Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas accused Israel on Friday of conducting a “war of genocide” and a “series of absolute war crimes” during the 50-day summer conflict in Gaza, but stopped short of saying he will pursue war crime charges against the Jewish state at the International Criminal Court AP reported.
In his speech at the U.N. General Assembly, Abbas also said he will seek a U.N. resolution to set a deadline for Israel to pull out of Palestinian lands captured in the 1967 war but did not include a three-year deadline as his aides had said he would.
Dear Admin, Ace News I will request to please share this link related to the human rights atrocities happening in Indonesia with West Papuan indigenous people, am currently doing media coverage with their human rights defenders, more at for the http://saadiahaq.wordpress.com/2014/04/22/free-papua-campaign-in-conversation-with-a-papuan-activist/
#AceWorldNews says that `North Korean’ security chiefs and possibly even the countries supreme leader, Kim Jong-un himself, should face international justice for ordering systematic torture, starvation and mass killings bordering on genocide, UN investigators said Monday.
The UN Commission of Inquiry told Kim in a letter they were advising the UN to refer North Korea to the International Criminal Court (ICC), to ensure any culprits “including possibly yourself” were held accountable,
Reuters reported. North Korea said it “categorically and totally” rejected the investigators’ report.
#AceWorldNews says a senior UN humanitarian official warned on Thursday of the risk of genocide in Central African Republic. The country descended into chaos last year after a Muslim rebel coalition, Séléka, seized power. A wave of killings and looting in turn sparked revenge attacks by the “anti-balaka” Christian militia. The crisis was foreseen, avoidable and produced by the international community’s neglect over many years, Reuters quoted John Ging, director of operations for the UN Office for Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, as saying. Without a massive scaling up in the international response to the crisis, a genocide is possible, the official said.