` Nigeria Witnesses Car Bombs and Killings Over Last Few Days by Boko Haram in and Around Chibok ‘

#AceNewsServices – LAGOS – May 20 and 21 – Twin car bombings on Tuesday killed at least 46 in central Nigeria in the latest in a series of deadly blasts that will stoke fears about security despite international help in the fight against Boko Haram militants.


A deadly suicide car bomb attack on Sunday killed four people in the northern city of Kano. -Reuters Photo

Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan swiftly condemned the attack in the central city of Jos, calling it a “tragic assault on human freedom” and condemning the perpetrators as “cruel and evil”.

“President Jonathan assures all Nigerians that (the) government remains fully committed to winning the war against terror and… will not be cowed by the atrocities of enemies of human progress and civilisation,” his office said.

Forty-five people were also injured in the attack where improvised explosive devices were hidden in a truck and a minibus, according to the military.

Most of the victims were women, Pam Ayuba, spokesman for Plateau state governor Jonah Jang, said, while the emergency services said their workers were caught up in the second blast as they attended victims from the first.

Two attacks by Boko Haram gunmen killed 30 people near Chibok, AFP reported, citing witnesses.

Islamists kidnapped more than 200 schoolgirls in the north-east Nigerian town last month.

The first attack on Monday afternoon reportedly killed 10 in the village of Shawa, some 7km from Chibok. Gunmen then stormed the nearby village of Alagarno late Tuesday where they killed 20 people and stole food, razed homes and fired on fleeing civilians, witnesses say.

Dawn – AFP – Reuters

Ace Related News:
1. Dawn – 20/21/05/2014 – http://tinyurl.com/kqe97sq

#ANS2014

#goodluck-jonathan, #lagos, #nigeria, #nigerian

Nigeria Leader Cancels Visit To Girls’ Village


No visit from the president

Nigeria’s president has cancelled his first planned visit to the village from which nearly 300 girls were kidnapped, due to security fears. Instead of going to Chibok in northeast Borno state, Goodluck Jonathan is flying direct from the capital, Abuja, to Paris for a regional summit to discuss Boko Haram and wider security issues. “The president was planning to go but security advised otherwise on the visit,” a source said of the last-minute decision to cancel. Sky News TV Special Correspondent Alex Crawford, who is in Chibok, said the families of the kidnapped girls were “very upset and very angry” at the cancellation.


Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau

She said: “As one father of an abducted girl told me: ‘If it’s not safe enough for the president of Nigeria to come to Chibok, how on earth does he feel about us residents of Chibok living here?’ “The families are feeling very, very helpless and growing increasingly angry at what they still feel is the lack of efforts to try and track down their missing daughters. “The parents pointed out the girls were in the capable hands of the government, it wasn’t as it they were at home with us, they were in a school where we expected them to be safe.”


There has been national outrage at the kidnappings

She went on: “There was a sighting of truckfuls of the girls several hours after they were taken when the militants’ truck broke down in the neighbouring school and still no-one came out to help them and no-one was able to stop them.” Boko Haram’s leader Abubakar Shekau last week threatened in a video to sell the girls into slavery unless the government freed rebels being held but the president has ruled out a prisoner exchange. A total of 223 girls are believed to still be missing


Enoch Mark, whose daughter is among those missing

A social media campaign has galvanised international pressure on Nigeria to mount a rescue operation with Britain, the US, France and Israel all sending teams and equipment to help. But the president’s cancellation is expected to draw further criticism of the government’s handling of the crisis. The US has been critical of Nigeria’s “slow” response to the kidnapping, saying resolving the crisis was not “one of the highest priorities of the US government”.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/05/16/us-nigeria-girls-president-idUSBREA4F07C20140516

#abubakar-shekau, #boko-haram, #cancels-visit, #enoch-mark-angry-father, #girls-village, #goodluck-jonathan, #leader, #missing-girls, #nigeria, #nigeria-leader, #northeast-borno-state

` Goodluck Jonathan Rejects Offer from Boko Haram Leader to Trade Extremists for Missing Schoolgirls ‘

#AceWorldNews – NIGERIA – May 15 – Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan rejected an offer from the Islamist Boko Haram rebel group to trade imprisoned extremists in exchange for the approximately 200 still-missing schoolgirls of the 276 it abducted, British Minister for Africa Mark Simmonds told Reuters.

The president, who initially said the government would explore all options that would lead to an exchange, is under pressure from the international community to crack down on the group and retrieve the schoolgirls.

“What he also made very clear to me was that he wanted his government to continue a dialogue to make sure a solution could be found and that security and stability could return to northern Nigeria for the medium and the long term,” Simmonds said.

#ANS2014

#goodluck-jonathan, #islamist, #nigeria

Nigerian Girls’ Kidnapper: ‘I Will Sell Them’

The Islamist kidnapper of more than 200 Nigerian girls missing since April 14 has vowed to sell them, reports say.

Abubakar Shekau claimed in a video obtained by the AFP news wire service that a buyer for the schoolgirls would be found.

He said: “I abducted your girls. I will sell them in the market, by Allah.”

At least 223 youngsters were seized by suspected militants during a raid in the village of Chibok, in Borno state, north Nigeria, three weeks ago.

Reports had previously circulated that some of the girls missing have already been sold as brides across Nigeria’s border with Chad and Cameroon for as little as £7 ($12).

Police and the families say the number still being held is as high as 276.

The brazenness of the school attack – during which the girls were rounded up and put on to trucks – has shocked Nigerians accustomed to atrocities in a five-year conflict with insurgents.

President Goodluck Jonathan took to the radio and TV on Sunday night to respond to claims his government was not doing enough to recover the girls.

He said: “We promise that anywhere the girls are, we will surely get them out.”

The president said he had asked US President Barack Obama, Britain, France and China, for help to counter the activities of the Islamic terror group Boko Haram.

And he dismissed claims his government was negotiating with Boko Haram.

He also pleaded for the parents of the missing girls and their local communities to co-operate with the rescue efforts during what he described as a “trying” and “painful” time.

It came amid claims that Nigeria’s First Lady – Goodluck Jonathan’s wife Patience – had ordered the arrest of two leaders of a protest demanding more action from the government.

One of the protest leaders said Patience Jonathan abused them, expressed doubts there was any kidnapping and accused them of belonging to Boko Haram.

Saratu Angus Ndirpaya said Mrs Jonathan accused them of giving Nigeria’s government and her husband “a bad name”, at a meeting at the presidential villa in Abuja.

Ms Ndirpaya said State Security Service agents then drove her and another protest leader Naomi Mutah Nyadar to a police station, before later releasing her.

AP journalists waiting outside the police station in Abuja, where Ms Nyadar was apparently being held, saw the protest leader bundled into a presidential car and driven away.

Ayo Adewuyi, spokesman for first lady Patience Jonathan, told AP there was a meeting but he was unaware of any arrests.

“The first lady did not order the arrest of anybody, and I’m sure of that,” he said.

#223-youngsters-were-seized-by-suspected-militants, #abducter-threatens-to-sell-girls, #boko-haram, #goodluck-jonathan, #illage-of-chibok, #in-borno-state, #islamic-group, #nigeria, #nigerian-girls-kidnapped, #north-nigeria, #president-of-nigeria-goodluck-jonathan