(HAVANA) Amnesty International Report: At least one man has died in Cuba and more than 140 have been arrested or reported as missing during rare demonstrations against its Communist government #AceNewsDesk report

#AceNewsReport – July.14: Diubis Laurencio Tejeda, 36, died in a suburb of Havana on Monday during a clash between protesters and police.

#AceDailyNews says Cuba Protests: At least one dead after a group allegedly attacked a government facility on Monday as scores missing after rare demonstrations against communist government officials..

A police officer guards the areas surrounding the Capitol in Havana after anti-government unrest
Police were out in force on Tuesday after the unrest across Cuba

Cuba’s interior ministry did not say what the cause of death was but alleged he was part of a group that attacked a government facility: However, witnesses said security forces had attacked the protesters……

‘The Communists have lost control’

State media said Mr Tejeda had been involved in “disturbances” in the La Guinera neighbourhood of Havana on Monday, where a group allegedly attacked a government facility. 

It reported that several others had been injured, including members of the security forces.

In a statement on Tuesday, the interior ministry accused demonstrators of vandalism, setting fires and attacking police and civilians. 

But witnesses have said the security forces attacked peaceful protesters who joined a spontaneous demonstration in the neighbourhood.

Waldo Herrera, who lives in the area, told Reuters news agency officers had drawn their guns and started shooting at the demonstrators. 

“I think the Communists have lost control, they won’t have a solution to this situation,” he said.

‘They took my daughter’ Data journalism site Inventario recorded more than 40 protests on Sunday….

Such unauthorised public gatherings are illegal in Cuba and the security forces took swift action. On Tuesday, the police were out in force on the streets.

Amnesty International: CUBA: Massive protests are a desperate cry to a government that doesn’t listen……

12 July 2021, 14:33 UTC

In response to the state repression of social protests in several areas of Cuba yesterday, Erika Guevara-Rosas, Americas director at Amnesty International, said:

“In a historic day for Cuba, thousands of people took to the streets to demonstrate peacefully in several parts of the country, exercising their rights to freedom of expression and peaceful assembly. It’s unacceptable that the Cuban government has denied these rights for decades and continues to do so today.”

“During yesterday’s spontaneous demonstrations, which spread across different areas of the country, Amnesty International received with alarm reports of internet blackouts, arbitrary arrests, excessive use of force – including police firing on demonstrators – and reports that there is a long list of missing persons.”

In a historic day for Cuba, thousands of people took to the streets to demonstrate peacefully in several parts of the country, exercising their rights to freedom of expression and peaceful assembly. It’s unacceptable that the Cuban government has denied these rights for decades and continues to do so today.Erika Guevara-Rosas, Americas director at Amnesty International

“Instead of repressing the population, the Cuban authorities have an obligation to protect their right to demonstrate peacefully. President Miguel Díaz-Canel’s inflammatory rhetoric of ‘war’ and confrontation creates atmosphere of violence against those who demand accountability and the free enjoyment of their human rights.”

“The Díaz-Canel government must address the social demands of its citizens, given the economic crisis, the shortages of food and medicine, the collapse of the health system – which is not responding to the current COVID-19 crisis – and the accumulation of historical demands for respect of the rights to freedom of expression and peaceful assembly.”

What’s behind the protests?The rare anti-government demonstrations began on Sunday, when thousands took to the streets in protest over food and medicine shortages, price hikes and the government’s handling of Covid-19.The unrest began with a demonstration in the city of San Antonio de los Baños, south-west of Havana, but soon spread throughout the country.Thousands took to the streets in protest over the government’s handling of coronavirus and the economyPosts on social media showed people overturning police cars and looting state-owned shops that price their goods in foreign currencies. For many Cubans, these shops are the only way they can buy basic necessities but prices are high.’Economic suffocation’President Miguel Díaz-Canel has called the demonstrators “counter-revolutionaries”. His government blamed the United States, and its economic sanctions, for both the protests and Cuba’s wider problems. US sanctions have restricted trade with Cuba since 1962. They were tightened under former US President Donald Trump, who also imposed sanctions on Venezuela, which is Cuba’s main supplier of oil. Cuba’s foreign minister called it a “policy of economic suffocation to provoke social unrest in the country”.But the White House said that Cubans had suffered “decades of repression”. Speaking on Monday, President Joe Biden said the US “stands firmly with the people of Cuba as they assert their universal rights”.

Addtional Reporting: BBC Latin News

#AceNewsDesk report ………Published: July.14: 2021:

Editor says …Sterling Publishing & Media Service Agency is not responsible for the content of external site or from any reports, posts or links, and can also be found here on Telegram: https://t.me/acenewsdaily all of our posts fromTwitter can be found here: https://acetwitternews.wordpress.com/ and all wordpress and live posts and links here: https://acenewsroom.wordpress.com/and thanks for following as always appreciate every like, reblog or retweet and free help and guidance tips on your PC software or need help & guidance from our experts AcePCHelp.WordPress.Com

#amnesty, #communist, #cuba, #havana

UPDATE: ‘ COLUMBIAN PRESIDENT SUSPENDS PEACE TALKS OVER FARC KIDNAPPINGS ‘

#AceWorldNews – COLUMBIA – Nov.18 – Updated News – Earlier l posted a news article over the kidnapping of General Ruben Alzate on Sunday, by suspected FARC rebelsAt the time there was a threat to the fragile peace talks.

The latest information is that Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos has suspended peace talks with FARC rebels on Monday after their kidnapping of an army general.

General Ruben Dario Alzate was captured the day before with another military official and a civilian during a visit to the site of an energy project in the northern province of Choco.

” Negotiators were to travel to another round of talks in Havana,” President Santos said on Sunday, Reuters reports.

“I will tell them not to go and that the talks are suspended until these people are released.” he said at a press conference. 

The Revolutionary armed forces of Colombia, or the FARC, a military Marxist organization, and the government have been holding peace talks for two years, though this bloody conflict dates back to the 1960’s. 

#ANS2014 

#choco, #energy, #general, #havana, #kidnap, #peace-talks

‘ Russia and Cuba Soviet Spy Base to Re-Open Putin Denial Reports Say Different ‘

#AceWorldNewsMOSCOW – July 17 – Russian President Vladimir Putin has refuted reports that Russia and Cuba agreed to resume work at the Soviet-built intelligence facility in Lourdes near Havana, Cuba.“No, it’s not true,” Putin answered a question during his meeting with reporters following the BRICS summit in Brazil.RT  

cuban-missile-crisis-over

“There is nothing to regret, we are capable of solving the challenges in the field of national defence without this component, there is nothing unusual here, we in agreement with our friends closed the work of this centre, we have no plans to resume work,” said Putin.

Reports of resumption of work at the USSR‘s largest electronic intelligence facility was published in Kommersant newspaper on Wednesday.

(VoA July 16 2014 ) Reported that Russia will reopen an intelligence base in Cuba that closed in 2001, according to Russian media reports on Wednesday.

The newspaper Kommersant claims an agreement to resume operations at the Lourdes base, which was once a leading source of Cold War-era electronic surveillance on the United States, was made during Russian President Vladimir Putin’s visit to Havana last week.

Cuban Missile Base

The signals intelligence base located south of Havana opened in 1964 to spy on the U.S. during the Cuban Missile Crisis. Only 250 kilometers from the U.S. coast, it had radar capable of intercepting signals from a significant amount of U.S. territory, according to Kommersant.

In 2001, Putin ordered the base closed in a cost-cutting move, after repeated requests from the United States, the Russian paper said, citing sources close to the Kremlin.

The paper also quoted Raul Castro as saying that up to 75 percent of Moscow’s intelligence on the United States came from the base.  

#ANS2014 

#russia, #brics, #cold-war, #cuba, #havana, #kommersant, #moscow, #signals-intelligence, #soviet-union, #united-states, #vladimir-putin

` Columbia’s Leftist FARC and ELN Rebels Declare Cease-Fire from May 20 – 28 for Presidential Elections ‘

#AceWorldNews – COLUMBIA – May 16 – Colombia’s leftist FARC and ELN rebels on Friday declared a unilateral cease-fire from May 20 to May 28, Reuters said.

The period includes the May-25 presidential election, and the guerrillas and the government continued work toward a comprehensive peace plan in negotiations in Havana.

“We are ordering all of our units to cease any offensive military action against the armed forces or the economic infrastructure as of 0000 hours on Tuesday, May 20, until 2400 hours on Wednesday, May 28,” rebel leader, Pablo Catabumbo, said in Havana.

#ANS2014

#columbia, #eln, #farc, #havana

` Four Cuban Nationals have been Detained in Cuba for Having Planned Attacks on Military Installations ‘

#AceWorldNews – HAVANA – May 07 – Four Miami-based Cuban nationals have been detained in Cuba.

Having planned to carry out attacks on Cuba’s military facilities.

Cuban newspaper Granma reported on Wednesday that the suspects were detained on April 26 by the forces of the Interior Ministry.

Jose Ortega Amador, Obdulio Rodriguez Gonzalez, Raibel Pacheco Santos and Felix Monzon Alvarez were detained in the midst of their preparations for terrorist activity on the national territory of Cuba, the newspaper said.

The suspects admitted that they “planned to attack military facilities to provoke violence.”

Granma reported that three out of four suspects have visited Cuba several times from mid-2013 to plan the execution of planned terrorist attacks.

The suspects said the plan of the attack were developed by three others in Miami who have close ties with infamous terrorist Posada Carriles.

Granma (ENG) – Pertinent contact with appropriate United States authorities was made, in order to investigate these events and prevent, in a timely fashion, the actions of such individuals and terrorist organizations based in that country, which endanger the lives and security of persons in both nations.

#ANS2014

#cuba, #cuban, #havana, #miami

` French Minister Fabius has Arrived in Havana for the first time for 31 Years for Bi-lateral Relations ‘

#AceWorldNews – HAVANA – April 13 – French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius has arrived in Havana for a brief visit aimed at strengthening ties with Cuba. “This is the first time in 31 years that the head of French diplomacy is on an official trip to Cuba,” Fabius told reporters.

“France wants to strengthen its ties with all of South America and, in this context, we wanted relations to be strengthened in particular with Cuba.” Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez pledged his “willingness to continue to work on common goals” with France, AFP reports.

“Today we note a favourable development — and great potential – in our bilateral relations.”

#ANS2014

#cuba, #french, #havana, #laurent-fabius, #south-america

` Six Luxury Humidor’s fetched more than $1.1 million with proceeds going to `Cuba’s Public Health Services’

#AceWorldNews says that six luxury humidors fetched more than $1.1 million Saturday at the gala closing the 16th annual Cigar Festival in Havana.

The humidors were packed with Montecristo and other prestigious cigars along with a painting by Cuban artist Zaida del Rio.

As in past years, the $1,102,210 in proceeds went to Cuba’s public health services, said Habanos SA, the exclusive distributor of Cuban cigars in 150 countries.

The festival, which featured tours of tobacco plantations and cigar factories, culminated with a gala dinner and auction that began Friday and lasted into the early morning hours Saturday.

British singer Tom Jones performed at the event, held on the PABEXPO fairgrounds on the outskirts of Havana.

Habanos SA is a joint venture between Cuban state company Cubatabaco and the Franco-Spanish Altadis that was bought in 2008 by the British Imperial Tobacco Group.

As the festival opened on Monday, Habanos SA reported that Cuban cigar sales were up eight percent in 2013, reaching $447 million, with strongest market gains in China.

Tobacco is one of Cuba’s top exports, behind nickel and biotech products.

#ANS2014

#british-imperial-tobacco-group, #china, #cuba, #cuban, #habanos-sa, #havana, #pabexpo