#AceBreakingNews – NORTH KOREA (Pyongyang) – September 14 – North Korea’s Supreme Court on Sunday sentenced a 24-year-old American man to six years of hard labour for entering the country illegally to commit espionage.
Matthew Miller, a U.S. citizen, sits on the dock at the Supreme Court during his trial in Pyongyang, North Korea, Sunday, Sept. 14, 2014. North Korea’s Supreme Court on Sunday sentenced Miller to six years of hard labor for entering the country illegally and trying to commit espionage. (AP Photo/Kim Kwang Hyon)
At a trial that lasted about 90 minutes, the court said Matthew Miller, of Bakersfield, California, tore up his tourist visa at Pyongyang’s airport upon arrival on April 10 and admitted to having the “wild ambition” of experiencing prison life so that he could secretly investigate North Korea’s human rights situation.
Matthew Miller, 24, of Bakersfield, California, who was detained in April at Pyongyang’s airport after tearing his visa to pieces and demanding asylum, has been tried on Sunday, AP reports.
Also apart from Miller, there are two more Americans currently being held in North Korean jails. One of them, Jeffrey Fowle, 56, was arrested in May for leaving a Bible at a provincial club while another one, Korean-American missionary Kenneth Bae, currently serving out a 15-year sentence for alleged “hostile acts.”
#AceWorldNews says an Australian man has been arrested while doing missionary work in North Korea, his wife told Reuters on Wednesday.
John Short, 75, was arrested in Pyongyang on Sunday and had been open about his religious work on his second trip to the state.
Short was in possession of religious materials that had been translated into Korean. North Korea has held American missionary Kenneth Bae for more than a year and convicted him of trying to overthrow the state.
American tour guide and Christian missionary imprisoned in North Korea, Kenneth Bae, has been returned to the labour camp after a stay at the hospital, his sister told the AP. She learned the news from the US Dept. of State.
This development has prompted worries about his health condition, as he has reportedly lost about 25 kilograms since his arrest in 2012. He was then sentenced to 15 years hard labour for unspecified offences. All outside calls for his release have yet to be answered. “He’s back to eight-hours-a-day, six-days-a-week hard labour,” Bae’s sister said. “We can’t help but be concerned about that.” On the same day, however, a news report emerged in a pro-regime newspaper based in Japan – Choson Sinbo.
It states that a US envoy is due to visit Bae. The State Department has given no comment. Calls for his release have now spread to the White House, which desires a full pardon on humanitarian grounds.