#AceWorldNews KHARKIV – July 23 – A memorial service for the victims of the Malaysia Airlines Boeing crash took place Wednesday at eastern Ukraine’s Kharkiv airport.
An ITAR-TASS correspondent reports, that the first plane will take 50 bodies to the Netherlands for an expert examination to be held.
#AceWorldNews – UKRAINE – Wednesday – July 23 – Bloody Conflict Continues and many more Die ! As first 16 bodies of victims of crash are transported from crash site.
A Dutch air force transport plane carrying the first 16 coffins with the remains of victims of the downed Malaysian airliner took off on Wednesday from an airport in the eastern Ukrainian city of Kharkiv for the Netherlands.
Honorary guards placed wooden coffins on the plane after a short and sombre ceremony held on the tarmac before it took off.
All 298 people on board the Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777 perished when it was brought down last Thursday over rebel-held territory in eastern Ukraine, where Kiev is struggling anti-government forces.
Many of the victims were Dutch and the Netherlands will carry out their identification.
At the ceremony, Ukrainian Deputy Prime Minister Volodymyr Groysman said the downing of the plane was an “inhumane terrorist act” carried out with help from Russia.
Kiev will do everything in its power to bring those guilty to justice, he added. Russia denies its involvement.
On Monday the Russian military presented information that a Ukrainian SU-25 fighter had been gaining altitude in the direction of the Malaysian Boeing prior to the catastrophe.
A Canadian military transport plane is due to leave Kharkiv with 24 more coffins later on Wednesday.
— Ruptly (@Ruptly) July 23, 2014
The inflight recorders recovered from the wreckage of the downed Malaysian plane have arrived in Britain to be analyzed, the Ukrainian government’s investigation committee told press. The Ukrainian investigators confirmed they had seen the recorders, but not handled them as per an agreement reached with the Malaysian and Dutch inspectors.
“Today … the black boxes from the airliner Boeing 777 arrived in Britain under the supervision of ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organization),” the commission said on its Facebook page.
Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott said on Wednesday that it was still unclear how many bodies from downed Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17 had arrived in the Ukrainian city of Kharkiv and how many may have been left behind at the crash site. (Reuters)
Dutch experts have said they were given 80 fewer corpses than indicated by the eastern Ukrainian militia.
“There were human remains that had not been picked up,” said Michael Bociurkiw, a spokesman for the OSCE after visiting the crash site.
“What struck us is that we did not monitor any recovery activity in place,” he added, indicating at least two areas where there still were human remains.
Moscow has handed over to the European Union the Ministry of Defense’s monitoring data on the Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash in eastern Ukraine, Russian envoy to the EU Vladimir Chizhov said.
The documents, which are in both Russian and English, were sent “to all the interested parties,” he told journalists in Brussels, as quoted by RIA Novosti. Russia hopes the investigation of the tragedy will be “truly unbiased, independent and international,” as called for by the UN Security Councilresolution unanimously adopted Monday, Chizhov said.
“I’m surprised by statements made by certain European representatives,” he said. Even European Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso – who is on a visit in Brazil – “voiced certainty that the plane, as he said, was shot down by ‘separatists.’”According to the Russian diplomat, attempts to foresee the results of an investigation “can only be considered as an attempt to put pressure on the probe.”
“I hope that will not happen,” Chizhov said.
Tuesday, July 22
The Dutch government has declared Wednesday a day of national mourning as the country prepares for the arrival of the first bodies of victims of the downed Malaysia Airlines Flight 17.
The country’s king and queen will be at an air base in Eindhoven to greet two military planes that are scheduled to arrive around 4 p.m. (1400 GMT) Wednesday carrying the first victims’ remains.
#AceWorldNews – UKRAINE (Kiev) – July 16 – An explosion rocked a stretch of a railway connecting two residential areas in Ukraine’s embattled south-eastern Donetsk Region on Wednesday, no casualties were reported, the press service of the Ukrainian Railways company reported.
According to the company, the blast damaged the railway between the residential settlements of Novobakhmutovka and Gorlovka and was the second explosion at the same place in the recent time.
Three bridges were blown up in the Donetsk Region over the past three days.
#AceWorldNews – GENEVA – June 03 – The Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) is reducing the number of observers in the Donetsk and Luhansk regions in Eastern Ukraine for security reasons, OSCE Secretary-General Lamberto Zannier told journalists on Tuesday.
The OSCE will continue monitoring Ukraine’s eastern regions as closely as possible but at the moment it has to relocate its observers from Donetsk to safer places such as Kharkiv, Kiev and Dnepropetrovsk so that they could perform their monitoring functions from there, Zannier said, adding the OSCE would also cut the number of observers in the Luhansk region.
The OSCE Secretary-General added that observers lost in east Ukraine are safe.
KYIV, May 30 /Ukrinform/. Four more foreign observers from the OSCE Special Monitoring Mission in Ukraine and a Ukrainian interpreter who worked in Luhansk disappeared on Thursday, the OSCE press office reported.
“Yesterday at about 19.00 the Special OSCE Special Monitoring Mission in Ukraine lost contact with several members of its team, who work in Luhansk region,” the report reads.
The OSCE mission noted that in Severodonetsk (100 km from Luhansk) the observers were detained by armed men.
In addition, the OSCE reported that the organization still has no contact with the four observers who went missing in Donetsk region in the evening on May 26. Earlier, some media reported that the militants released the group of observers.
The observer missions of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) will continue working in east Ukraine’s Donetsk and Luhansk regions despite incidents when their observers went missing there, Michael Bociurkiw, a spokesman for the OSCE’s mission in Ukraine, said Monday.
(SwissInfo) – May 29 – An insurgent leader in Eastern Ukraine has said his group kidnapped four observers from the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE), among them a Swiss.
The group had been missing since Tuesday.
Vyacheslav Ponomarev, who has declared himself mayor of the city of Slovyansk in the eastern Ukranian Donetsk region, told the media the monitors were safe and would be released.
“I addressed the OSCE mission to warn them that their people should not, over the coming week, travel in areas under our control. And they decided to show up anyway,” Ponomarev told the Associated Press.
“We will figure out who [the observers] are, where they were going and will then let them go,” he said to the Interfax news agency. The other members of the observer team come from Turkey, Denmark and Estonia.
Mr Schneider said he understood that the self-proclaimed mayor, Vyacheslav Ponomarev, could use the observers as a bargaining chip. Mr Ponomarev said Saturday that they could be released in exchange for jailed pro-Russia activists.
#AceWorldNews- KHARKIV- May 07 – Defence Minister of the self-proclaimed Donetsk People’s Republic, Igor Kakidzyanov, has been detained, parliament-appointed Interior Minister Arsen Avakov said at a session of the Cabinet of Ministers in Kharkiv.
Kakidzyanov is suspected of attempted murder.
“As a result of today’s special operation, the situation in Mariupol has been taken under control. At the same time, the Defense Minister of Donetsk People’s Republic Igor Kakidzyanov was arrested,” Avakov said.
The decision to form a “people’s army” was taken by participants of the protest rally in Donetsk on April 10.
On the same day, Kakidzyanov was appointed the Defence Minister of the self-proclaimed republic.
Russian and Ukrainian News
#AceWorldNews – DONETSK – May 6 – Over 15 domestic and international flights have been cancelled in the airport of Ukraine’s Donetsk on Tuesday.
This information was placed on the on-line enunciator of the Donetsk airport.
According to local media reports, the reception and departure of aircraft has been temporarily suspended by the State Aviation Administration of Ukraine.
On Friday, May 2, the country’s aviation authorities unilaterally banned Russian air carriers from performing flights to Donetsk and Kharkiv.
Later, the State Aviation Administration of Ukraine stated that it had not prohibited Russian air carriers to fly to Kharkiv.
The authority’s statement says, “now there are only restrictions on flights along a specific route between Donetsk and Russia”.
On Monday, the press service of the Donetsk Railway reported that the rail traffic on Ukraine’s east was interrupted. In particular, the traffic has been blocked at the branches Lozova – Sloviansk – Druzhkivka, Forpostnaya – Krasnyi Liman in the directions Bukino – Izyum – Kharkiv and Tropa – Kupyansk.
“As a result, 14 pairs of passenger trains of the Donetsk Railway changed their route, two pairs of passenger trains of the Southern Railway have been cancelled, 29 pairs of commuter trains have been cancelled, nine pairs have changed routes,” the document specifies.
The press service noted that “from May 2, 2014, there is no voltage in the overhead system of the branch Lozova – Sloviansk – Druzhkivka, the electrical signal tower on the Sloviansk station does not work, as the Sloviansk railway station, and the rail-roads on the Forpostnaya station are blocked”.
Russian News and Media Sources – Press-Rooms
#AceWorldNews – KIEV – April 28 – Gennady Kernes, Mayor of Ukraine’s eastern city of Kharkiv, was wounded in an assassination attempt that took place during his bicycle ride on the Belgorodskoye Highway, the press service of the mayor’s office said.
“He is currently on the operating table in a hospital emergency room.
Doctors are fighting for his life,” the press service said in a statement.
The information about Kernes’s condition is not yet available. Kernes has received a penetrating gunshot wound to the back.
An investigative team is currently working at the scene.
The investigation is under-way.
#AceWorldNews – UKRAINE – KIEV – April 23 – Two meetings (opponents and supporters of the current Kiev authorities) were held near Kharkiv City Council. Supporters of the country’s federalization picketed mayor’s office, as reported by local media.
Protesters demanded that the Ukrainian authorities grant Russian the status of an official language.
Meanwhile, supporters of Kiev authorities gathered near the Eternal Flame, they chanted slogans in support of the “united and indivisible Ukraine”.
AceWorldNews – KIEV – April 15 – The Ukrainian Interior Ministry is creating a corps of special units for the protection of public order, the ministry’s website reported on Monday.
“Interior Minister (Arsen Avakov) has made a decision to create special units for the maintenance of public order,” the ministry’s operation headquarters said in a statement.
The report gives telephone numbers for getting the corresponding information in the Donetsk, Nikolayev, Dnepropetrovsk, Luhansk, Odessa, Kharkiv and Kherson regions. It gives no telephone numbers for other administrative-territorial entities.
The operation headquarters also gave an e-mail address to which all who want to join the units can send their resumes, however, did not made public any criteria for the selection of the candidates.
According to earlier reports, Arsen Avakov who was appointed by the Verkhovna Rada (parliament) of Ukraine acting interior minister decided to create a corps of special Interior Ministry units with the total strength of up to 12,000 people “on the basis of civilian components throughout the country.”
#AceWorldNews – UKRAINE – April 14 – (OSCE) – In the city of Donetsk, although the number of barricades at the occupied Oblast Administration Building and tents on Lenin Square did not appear to be increasing and no pedestrians were observed near the regional police headquarters, the monitors judged that the situation could deteriorate.
In Kharkiv the monitors noted a large police presence, with up to 600 protesters in Shevchenko Park and a different group of around 2,000 protesters, who moved to the City Administration Building in the mid-afternoon. City Mayor Gennady Kernes addressed the crowd, after an initial delay, calling for a stop to the blockade and negotiations.
In Luhansk the situation also remained tense, with up to 5,000 people in front of the Luhansk Teams of OSCE monitors have been working in Donetsk, Kharkiv and Luhansk since the end of March.
Their deployment follows the decision of the OSCE Permanent Council of 21 March to deploy the Special Monitoring Mission to Ukraine for an initial period of six months.
The mission consists initially of 100 civilian monitors, and can be expanded to 500 people.
The Mission’s mandate covers the whole territory of Ukraine, but monitors are initially being deployed to Kherson, Odessa, Lviv, Ivano-Frankivsk, Kharkiv, Donetsk, Dnepropetrovsk, Chernivtsi, Luhansk and Kyiv.
Read More: http://www.osce.org/ukrainemonitoring/117622
#AceWorldNews – UNITED STATES – April 13 – (Pravda) – The White House continues to strongly refute the rumours of American mercenaries fighting on the Ukrainian territory. This time, it goes about south-eastern regions of the troubled country.
The Russian Foreign Ministry was informed that the local police, who do not always agree with the position of the Kiev authorities, received a special form of humanitarian aid from the United States. Moscow suspects that the protest actions in Kharkiv, Donetsk and other cities of South-Eastern Ukraine are being suppressed with the use of the fighters of American company Greystone.
This privately-owned military company is known for its tough actions. In Iraq, company employees were involved in murders of civilians and weapon smuggling. Protests, demonstrations, hunger strikes – they fulfill any order for substantial amounts of money. Greystone was supposedly hired by Ukrainian oligarch Igor Kolomoisky.
Representatives of the mercenaries deny this information, but can they say anything else?
#AceWorldNews – KHARKIV – April 10 – The Kiev District Court of Kharkiv has sentenced on Thursday four out of 65 people detained after the freeing of the regional administration office.
The court representatives told ITAR-TASS that four detainees were sentenced to 60 days of arrest. They may also go bail: three of them may be released for about $15,000, and the fourth — for $7,500.
However, relatives of the detainees told ITAR-TASS that they attempted through the lawyers to convince the prosecution to free them from accusations or to adjudge them home arrest.
The arrested were involved in the occupation of Kharkiv Oblast administration overnight to Monday. After a day, the police carried out a special raid and detained 65 people.
All of them are suspected in violating the Ukrainian Criminal Code article on mass unrest.
#AceWorldNews – KHARKIV – April 08 – (ALJ) – Ukraine has launched an “anti-terrorist” operation in the south-eastern city of Kharkiv and has arrested about 70 “separatists” for seizing the regional administration building, Ukrainian Interior Minister Arsen Avakov has said.
Avakov posted on his Facebook page on Tuesday: “An anti-terrorist operation has been launched. The city centre is blocked along with metro stations. Do not worry. Once we finish, we will open them again.”
Ukraine’s Interior Ministry was quoted as saying by Interfax-Ukraine news agency that those detained were suspected of “illegal activity related to separatism, the organisation of mass disorder, damage to human health” and breaking other laws.
In response, Russia’s foreign ministry issued a statement calling on Kiev to stop the operation, warning that it “could lead to an outbreak of civil war”.
#AceWorldNews – LUHANSK – April 07 – (ALJ) – Pro-Russian protesters who broke into the state security headquarters in the eastern Ukrainian city of Luhansk have raided its arsenal, prompting the police to close down all roads leading to the city.
“Unknown people who are in the building have broken into the building’s arsenal and have seized weapons,” police said in a statement on Monday, adding that they had been put on alert and had blocked all entrances to the city.
A crowd of pro-Russian activists had stormed the security services building in Luhansk on Sunday. Local media reported that demonstrators pelted the building with eggs, and then stones, a smoke grenade and finally a firebomb.
Kharkiv state building ‘cleared’
Separately, Arsen Avakov, the Ukrainian interior minister, said on his Facebook page that the regional administrative building in another eastern city, Kharkiv, had been cleared of “separatist” protesters.
“Thanks to all those who offered their help,” he wrote, without specifying how the protesters were removed from the building.
ALJ – Reuters – AP
Ukrainian Interior Minister Arsen Avakov said on Sunday the country had taken measures to guard the borders with Russia. “Border has been guarded with the Lugansk and Kharkiv regions,” Avakov said. “Border guards and the National Guard prevent people from crossing the border for doubtful reasons. Hundreds of such people are banned to cross the border every day.” “There will no incidents on Sunday,” the Ukrainian minister said. #ANS2014
#AceWorldNews KHARKIV, March 16. A crowd of 3,000 gathered for a rally in the centre of Ukraine’s eastern industrial centre of Kharkiv on Sunday afternoon to press for converting Ukraine into a federation. As an Itar-Tass correspondent reports from the scene, the demonstrators are chanting “Referendum!”, “Russia!” and “We are with you, Crimea!”
The rally backed a resolution containing a demand for calling a local referendum in favour of federalization. The resolution urges “the territorial communities of the Southeast, from Odessa to Kharkiv, to pool efforts for the sake of simultaneous plebiscites and the federalization of Ukraine.”
“Our city has been Russian and will remain Russian, albeit within Ukraine. We are prepared to live in one country, but on our terms,” one of the leaders of the association Civic Platform, Yuri Apukhtin, told the crowd.
‘If we answer in the affirmative to the question about federalization, this will settle inter-ethnic rifts that exist in Ukraine,” said the leader of the Kharkov branch of the Communist Party of Ukraine, Alla Aleksandrovskaya. She added that the referendum should also decide such questions as the status of the Russian language as a second official one and Ukraine’s refusal to join NATO.