` Suspected Boko Haram Gunmen Kidnap 8 Girls Aged 12-15 and Threatening to Sell other 200 as God Instructed '

#AceNewsServices – NIGERIA – May 06 – (Reuters) – Suspected Boko Haram gunmen kidnapped eight girls aged 12 to 15 from a village near one of their strongholds in north-east Nigeria overnight, police and residents said on Tuesday.

“They were many, and all of them carried guns. They came in two vehicles painted in army colour. They started shooting in our village,” said Lazarus Musa, a resident of Warabe, where the attack happened.

A police source, who could not be named, said the girls were taken away on trucks, along with looted livestock and food.

The Islamist rebels are still holding more than 200 girls they abducted from a secondary school on April 14.


‘Instructions from God’

Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau sent a video – obtained by the AFP news agency – in which he said for the first time that his group had taken the girls.


Boko Haram, which means “Western education is forbidden”, has attacked numerous educational institutions in northern Nigeria.

In the video, Abubakar Shekau said the girls should not have been in school in the first place, but rather should get married.


“God instructed me to sell them, they are his properties and I will carry out his instructions,” he said.

Reports last week said that some of the girls had been forced to marry their abductors, who paid a nominal bride price of $12 (£7).

Others are reported to have been taken across borders into Cameroon and Chad.

President Goodluck Jonathan has said everything was being done to find the girls.

Boko Haram analyst Jacob Zenn says the girls, aged 16 to 18, have probably been split into smaller groups and it will be hard to track them.

“Any effort to rescue them will have to be done in a very piecemeal fashion and might take over a decade,” he told the BBC’s Newsday programme.

Boko Haram Analyst Jacob Zenn

For the past one and half years Boko Haram has been carrying out kidnappings of girls but this one was on a much larger scale than anything else. It should also be noted that Boko Haram began this tactic when the Nigerian security forces also began kidnapping, or rather taking as prisoners, the wives and children of Boko Haram members.

On an operational level Boko Haram is likely using these girls as human shields and keeping them in their camps which will prevent the Nigerian air force from bombing those camps.

Furthermore there is also the potential monetary reward if Boko Haram can sell some of them back to their parents.

It’s very likely that the girls have been split up into dozens of groups – maybe into twos or threes or fours. Any effort to rescue them will have to be done in a very piecemeal fashion and might take over a decade.

When you look at Joseph Kony’s Lord’s Resistance Army(LRA) in Uganda and the Democratic Republic of Congo, they took some girls captive more than a decade ago and some of them still remain captive even though most of them have been freed or escaped.

Contributions from Jacob Zenn is the African Affairs analyst at The Jamestown Foundation

REUTERS – BBC – AFP – JAMES TOWN FOUNDATION

#ANS2014

#boko-haram, #democratic-republic-of-congo, #lords-resistance-armylra, #nigeria, #nigerian, #uganda

` Obama Authorises Deployment of ` Military Aircraft ' in Attempt to Continue Hunt for Warlord Kony '

#AceWorldNews – UGANDA – March 24 – In an expanded attempt to continue the hunt for warlord Joseph Kony, President Obama has authorized the deployment of military aircraft and about 150 Special Operations forces to Uganda.

According to the Washington Post, the administration notified Congress of the deployments as they began on Sunday, and the troop movement was later confirmed to Reuters by the Defence Department.

The move marks the first time that US military aircraft have been assigned to Uganda in order to help search for Kony, who is wanted by the International Criminal Court for war crimes.

Under Obama’s orders, at least four CV-22 Osprey aircraft are scheduled to arrive in the country by the middle of the week, alongside a contingent of 150 Air Force Special Operations troops, pilots, and maintenance forces.

The Post reports that the new influx of troops will “provide information, advice and assistance” to the African Union forces searching for Kony and his Lord’s Resistance Army.

The troops are “combat-equipped,” but are barred from fighting the LRA themselves except in self-defence situations.

The aircraft, meanwhile, will be used to move troops from one location to another.

Reuters – Washington Post – RT – News Sources

Ace Related News
1. $5 million US price tag for info on Ugandan warlord Kony, manhunt suspended http://on.rt.com/qb2yzu
2. Joseph Kony forces children into sex slavery and violence – UN report http://on.rt.com/tuojb8
3. WikiLeaks: Kony 2012 creators spied for Uganda http://on.rt.com/yhonjh

#ANS2014

#international-criminal-court, #joseph-kony, #lords-resistance-armylra, #president-obama, #reuters, #rt-news, #uganda, #washington-post