#AceWorldNews – November 04 – The militant Islamic State group has released 93 Syrian Kurds captured in February when moving from northern Syria to Iraq, Reuters reported.
According to the UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, around 100 people were seized and accused of being members of the Kurdish Democratic Union Party, which opposes the militants.
All but six of the Kurds have been released.
The remaining captives have been accused of theft, and Islamic State allegedly said it would cut off their right hands as punishment.
#AceWorldNews – TUNISIA – October 23 – Tunisian police have carried out two counter-terror operations, capturing two suspected militants in the deep south, the Interior Ministry said, adding that the men were planning attacks.
One bystander was killed in the southern town of Kebili during the exchange of fire, AP quoted spokesman Mohammed Ali Aroui as saying on Thursday.
Police have also surrounded a house in Oued Ellil, a suburb of the capital, Tunis, and have exchanged fire with those inside.
There were several injured, according to Aroui.
Tunisia holds parliamentary elections on Sunday to complete its democratic transition.
#AceWorldNews – LIBYA (Benghazi) – October 03 – At least 36 Libyan soldiers were killed in three suicide bombings and clashes with Islamists in the eastern city of Benghazi on Thursday, the Libyan army said, as cited by AFP.
The new toll – a dramatic increase from the previously reported seven deaths – also says that more than 70 were wounded.
While several troops died from the blasts of three car bombs that drove into an army checkpoint near Benghazi airport, the majority perished in fighting in the same area.
The deadly clashes come amid the offensive of Shura Revolutionary Council militants, including Islamist group Ansar al-Sharia, who launched a fresh assault on the airport on Wednesday.
#AceWorldNews – LIBYA (Benghazi) – October 02 – Seven Libyan soldiers have been killed and 50 wounded in a double suicide bombing and clashes in the eastern city of Benghazi on Thursday, Reuters said, citing an army commander.
Three soldiers were killed when two cars loaded with explosives drove into an army checkpoint near Benghazi airport, according to Wanis Bukhamada, commander of army special forces in Benghazi.
Four soldiers were killed in clashes with Islamist militants in the same area.
#AceWorldNews – UNITED STATES (Washington) – September 20 –President Barack Obama’s military campaign against Islamic State group extremists has already crept beyond the narrow parameters he first outlined three months ago AP reported today.
But military experts both inside and outside of the administration argue that even more may be needed for the mission to succeed, including embedding U.S. ground troops with Iraqi security forces who are on the front line of the fight against the violent militants.
Taking that step could put Obama dangerously close to violating his pledges to keep Americans out of combat in Iraq.
Boko Haram gunmen have reportedly kidnapped up to 40 young mothers from an area near Chibok, the village where more than 250 schoolgirls were abducted nearly two months ago. The exact number of women taken in the latest raid is thought to be at least 20 – although one local leader from Borno state put it as high as 40. The kidnappings happened on Saturday in and around the village of Garkin Fulani, five miles from Chibok.
“Available information revealed that the gunmen came around noon and abducted 20 women and three young men left to keep watch on the village,” said one local man. “All the males in the settlement were away in the bush with their herd (of cattle) for grazing when the abductors came to the village. “We tried to go after them when the news got to us about three hours later, but the vehicles we have could not go far, and the report came to us a little bit late,” he said
There was no immediate indication of where the women were taken and there had been no contact from the kidnappers. A local official of the Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria (Macban) said the young women were singled out and put into vehicles before being driven away. Similar kidnappings for ransom have been going on in the area for some time but locals have been too afraid to speak out because of fears of reprisals from the Islamist militants, the official said. “This is not the first time women are being kidnapped in this area and only released when we pay cattle ransom to the kidnappers. It has happened several times,” he said.
Many girls escaped a few weeks ago: https://acenewsservices.com/2014/05/28/breaking-kidnapped-boko-haram-girls-escape-captors/
Locals always paid the ransom but do not inform the authorities, he said. A Borno state government official said the authorities were aware of the kidnapping of women from the village but denied knowledge of previous abductions. “This is the first time we are hearing abduction of Fulani women and we are working to establish the circumstances surrounding the kidnap and necessary action to take,” he added. In another incident, the country’s defence ministry said troops had prevented raids by Boko Haram this weekend on villages in Borno and neighbouring Adamawa state, with soldiers killing more than 50 militants on Saturday night as they were on their way to attack communities. The military has come under rising criticism from Nigerians who say they are not being protected and are being left to fend off attacks by Boko Haram on their own. The militant group, which wants to establish Islamic state in Nigeria, has been taking over villages in the northeast, killing and terrorising civilians and political leaders
#AceWorldNews – EGYPT – March 30 – An Egyptian soldier, driving a bus of police officers, was killed Sunday when the vehicle was attacked by militants in the town of Al-Arish in the Sinai Peninsula, according to Reuters citing a source in the army.
Three of the policemen who were inside the bus were wounded in the attack, for which no one has yet claimed responsibility.
Egypt’s Foreign Ministry says there’s been a surge of violence by the Sinai-based militants since the army ousted Islamist President Mohamed Morsi in July 2013.
#AceWorldNews says that `Peace Talks’ between the Pakistani government and Taliban insurgents broke down on Monday after militants executed 23 paramilitary soldiers, Reuters reported.
The Taliban’s arm operating in the tribal Mohmand agency said the Pakistani soldiers had been executed in revenge for the killing of their fighters by army forces.
It was not immediately clear if the Mohmand Taliban actions had been endorsed by the movement’s central command. Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif said that “such incidents are affecting the peace talks negatively,” adding that Pakistan “cannot afford such bloodshed.”
#AceWorldNews says latest reports indicate that at least 106 people have been massacred in a Nigerian village, the country’s senator Ali Ndume told AFP, blaming the attack on Boko Haram militants.
The politician added that 60 of those killed have been buried. Witnesses say that some 200 people dressed in military uniform came at around 20:30 GMT in motorcycles and six trucks.
Locals were asked to assemble when alleged Boko Haram members started hacking and slaughtering the mostly Christian village. Boko Haram is seeking to impose Shariah law in Africa’s top oil producer.
#AceWorldNews says delegates from both the Pakistani government and the Taliban met for over three hours on Thursday in the first round of peace talks targeted at putting an end to the militant group’s insurgent activities. The meeting took place in Islamabad after Tuesday’s talks failed to take place after the Pakistani government expressed doubts about the Taliban negotiators.
During the successfully rescheduled meeting on Thursday, the two groups charted a ‘roadmap’ for future discussions, with Irfan Siddiqui, the government’s chief negotiator saying the Taliban had “responded to us beyond our expectations,” according to AFP.
#AceWorldNews says that seven armed militants, including a “crime lord” and a woman believed to have been trained as a future suicide bomber were eliminated in a counter-terrorist operation in Makhachkala, the capital of the North Caucasus republic of Dagestan on Saturday, Russia’s National Anti-Terrorism Committee (NAC) reported. The militants, suspected in carrying out twin blasts at a local restaurant Friday, were surrounded in a house near Makhachkala.
Following negotiations they let a woman with three children leave the building and opened fire in attempt to break through the cordon of security forces. The standoff resulted in the house being stormed and the death of the inhabitants, according to the NAC. One of the militants killed turned out to be a 26-year-old widow of another local crime boss killed by security forces earlier, and she had supposedly been preparing to carry out a suicide bombing, the committee said.
#AceBreakingNews says according to latest news “The State Department” for the first time blames specific groups and militants for the Sept. 11, 2012, Benghazi attack, designating them as terrorists, further undermining initial claims the attack was spontaneous.
More on this story http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/01/10/state-department-names-groups-behind-benghazi-strike/