(MINNEAPOLIS) Supreme Court Report: Derek Chauvin appeals murder conviction in death of George Floyd, will represent himself #AceNewsDesk report

#AceNewsReport – Sept.24: Chauvin was convicted last April of third-degree murder, second-degree unintentional murder and second-degree manslaughter for kneeling on George Floyd’s neck for nine minutes during an arrest in May 2020. He was sentenced to 22 ½ years in prison.

#AceDailyNews says that Chauvin has asked for a stay on the appeal process until the state’s Supreme Court reviews an earlier decision to deny him a public defender to represent him after his conviction: Former Minneapolis Police Officer Derek Chauvin appealed his murder conviction ahead of the 90-day deadline on Thursday.

Fox News Flash top headlines for September 23

The sentence was higher than the presumptive 12 ½ years but Judge Peter Cahill agreed with prosecutors that there were aggravating factors in Floyd’s death.

Chauvin said he is representing himself in the appeal because he was denied a public defender. He asked for a stay on the appeal until he can get an attorney, according to FOX 9 in Minneapolis. 

He said he has no income beyond prison wages and although the Minnesota Police and Peace Officers Association paid for his legal fees during the trial, that ceased after his conviction, according to the station

The former officer cited 14 arguments for his appeal, including that the trial wasn’t moved to another county with less pretrial publicity, the jury wasn’t sequestered and some were “clearly biased” and the allowance of the third-degree murder charge, WCCO-TV in Minneapolis reported. 

Last week, the Minneapolis Supreme Court reversed the third-degree murder conviction of Mohamed Noor, a former Minneapolis officer who fatally shot Australian woman Justine Ruszczyk Damond. He will be resentenced for manslaughter.

Chauvin also pleaded not guilty last week to violating the civil rights of a teenager in a separate 2017 case that involved a restraint similar to the one used on Floyd. He is also charged with allegedly violating Floyd’s civil rights and has pleaded not guilty. 

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

#AceNewsDesk report ……Published: Sept.24: 2021:

Editor says …Sterling Publishing & Media Service Agency is not responsible for the content of external site or from any reports, posts or links, and can also be found here on Telegram: https://t.me/acenewsdaily all of our posts fromTwitter can be found here: https://acetwitternews.wordpress.com/ and all wordpress and live posts and links here: https://acenewsroom.wordpress.com/and thanks for following as always appreciate every like, reblog or retweet and free help and guidance tips on your PC software or need help & guidance from our experts AcePCHelp.WordPress.Com

#appeal, #chauvin, #court, #floyd, #minneapolis

(MINNEAPOLIS) CBP REPORT: Customs and Border Protection at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport (MSP) are encouraging travelers to use the Global Entry Facial Recognition capabilities during their next flight #AceNewsDesk report

#AceNewsReport – Aug.29: When Global Entry members approach a kiosk with facial comparison capability, they will pause for a photo just as they do at existing kiosks. CBP will use biometric facial comparison technology to match the new photo against images that the member has already voluntarily provided to the government, such as passport and Global Entry enrollment photos. The kiosk will inform the traveler how to proceed, based on the results of the matching process.,,

#AceDailyNews reports that Global Entry is a program in which travelers volunteer to provide personally identifiable information and consent to CBP security vetting in return for expedited processing at U.S. airports and Preclearance locations. Participation in the program is open to U.S. citizens, nationals, and permanent residents as well as the citizens of 12 other countries. Citizens and residents of Canada who are NEXUS members are eligible to receive Global Entry benefits.

Passenger

Global Entry members will not be required to swipe their passports or submit fingerprints when using new or upgraded Global Entry kiosks. However, CBP will continue to require prospective members to provide passport information and fingerprints to CBP when applying to the program.

CBP is not creating a new inspection requirement or collecting new information through this process. The new process will only apply to Global Entry members and NEXUS members who receive Global Entry benefits. Global Entry and NEXUS are voluntary programs.

“The facial recognition software is a secure process that will enhance the customers experience while traveling,” said LaFonda Sutton-Burke, Director, Field Operations-Chicago. “I would encourage all travelers to take advantage of this technology to speed up their arrival process when traveling to the U.S.”

CBP takes its privacy obligations very seriously and is dedicated to protecting the privacy of all travelers. CBP has employed strong technical security safeguards and has limited the amount of personally identifiable information used in the new biometric process.

If for some reason the system cannot match the Global Entry member to an image on record, the system will simply revert to the existing process. The traveler would be prompted to swipe his/her passport and submit his/her fingerprints.

More information about measures that CBP is taking to protect traveler privacy can be found at: https://www.dhs.gov/publication/global-enrollment-system-ges.

#AceNewsDesk report ……Published: Aug.29: 2021:

Editor says …Sterling Publishing & Media Service Agency is not responsible for the content of external site or from any reports, posts or links, and can also be found here on Telegram: https://t.me/acenewsdaily all of our posts fromTwitter can be found here: https://acetwitternews.wordpress.com/ and all wordpress and live posts and links here: https://acenewsroom.wordpress.com/and thanks for following as always appreciate every like, reblog or retweet and free help and guidance tips on your PC software or need help & guidance from our experts AcePCHelp.WordPress.Com

#cbp, #facial-recognition, #minneapolis

(MINNEAPOLIS) Derek Chauvin Report: More than a year after George Floyd took his last breath, the ex-cop who murdered him will face a Minnesota judge Friday and receive a sentence of up to 30 years in prison #AceNewsDesk report

#AceNewsReport – June.24: Derek Chauvin, a former Minneapolis police officer, has sat in a maximum-security prison cell since a jury found him guilty of second- and third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter April 20. Chauvin, who has never expressed remorse for Floyd’s death, will have the opportunity to speak for the first time at the hearing.

MINNESOTA: UPDATE: Derek Chauvin Murder of George Floyd that is more than a year after, the ex-cop who murdered him will face a judge Friday and receive a sentence of up to 30 years in prison: Click here to read USA Today, by Tami Abdollah

Though he’s a first-time offender, Hennepin County District Judge Peter Cahill found that Chauvin should face a higher sentence because his crimes involved abusing his position of trust and authority and killing Floyd in the presence of children, among other aggravating factors.

Chauvin’s defense attorney Eric Nelson asked for probation or far less prison time. The prosecution argued that Chauvin deserves the maximum penalty for actions that “traumatized Mr. Floyd’s family, the bystanders who watched Mr. Floyd die and the community. And his conduct shocked the nation’s conscience.”

Legal observers expect Chauvin will receive prison time near or at the 30-year maximum, but Cahill has “pretty wide latitude in determining what sentence to impose” and both parties will try to convince the judge to “exercise his discretion in their favor,” said Ted Sampsell-Jones, a professor at Mitchell Hamline School of Law.

Whatever the sentence, per Minnesota law, Chauvin will serve two-thirds of it behind bars and the remainder under a type of supervised release that’s similar to parole. Chauvin, 45, will get credit for time served in prison while awaiting sentencing.

Floyd, 46, was killed in May 2020 after officers responded to a report that he had used a counterfeit $20 bill. Floyd was handcuffed face-down on the street and repeatedly yelled, “I can’t breathe” as Chauvin pressed a knee to his neck for more than nine minutes.

#AceNewsDesk report ………Published: Jun.24: 2021:

Editor says …Sterling Publishing & Media Service Agency is not responsible for the content of external site or from any reports, posts or links, and can also be found here on Telegram: https://t.me/acenewsdaily all of our posts fromTwitter can be found here: https://acetwitternews.wordpress.com/ and all wordpress and live posts and links here: https://acenewsroom.wordpress.com/and thanks for following as always appreciate every like, reblog or retweet and free help and guidance tips on your PC software or need help & guidance from our experts AcePCHelp.WordPress.Com

#chauvin, #floyd, #minneapolis, #minnesota, #sentenced