(TEHRAN) JUST IN: Iran’s sole nuclear power plant has undergone an unexplained temporary emergency shutdown, state TV reported on Sunday #AceNewsDesk report

#AceNewsReport – June.22: An official from the state electric company Tavanir, Gholamali Rakhshanimehr, said on a talk show that the Bushehr plant shutdown began on Saturday and would last “for three to four days.”

TEHRAN: Iran’s sole nuclear power plant undergoes emergency shutdown and which sits near active fault lines and was built to withstand powerful quakes, has been periodically shaken by temblors according to state TV

Fox News Flash top headlines for June 20

Without elaborating, he said that power outages could result. This is the first time Iran has reported an emergency shutdown of the plant in the southern port city of Bushehr. It went online in 2011 with help from Russia. Iran is required to send spent fuel rods from the reactor back to Russia as a nuclear nonproliferation measure.

Earlier on Sunday, Tavanir released a statement saying that the nuclear plant was being repaired, without offering further details. It said the repair work would take until Friday.

In March, nuclear official Mahmoud Jafari said the plant could stop working since Iran cannot procure parts and equipment for it from Russia due to banking sanctions imposed by the U.S. in 2018.

Bushehr is fueled by uranium produced in Russia, not Iran, and is monitored by the United Nations’ International Atomic Energy Agency. The IAEA acknowledged being aware of reports about the plant, but declined to comment.

Construction on Bushehr, on the coast of the northern reaches of the Persian Gulf, began under Iran’s shah in the mid-1970s. After the 1979 Islamic Revolution, the plant was repeatedly targeted in the Iran-Iraq war. Russia later completed construction of the facility.

The plant, which sits near active fault lines and was built to withstand powerful quakes, has been periodically shaken by temblors. There have been no significant earthquakes reported in the area in recent days.

A security guard in front of a domed structure with several attached buildings.
The Bushehr nuclear reactor, located 1,200 km south of Iran’s capital Tehran, began operating in 2011. (Reuters:  Raheb Homavandi)

Iran’s sole nuclear power plant has undergone an unexplained temporary emergency shutdown.

An official from state electric company Tavanir, Gholamali Rakhshanimehr, said on a talk show on Sunday that the Bushehr plant shutdown began on Saturday and would last “for three to four days”.

Without elaborating, he said that power outages could result.

This is the first time Iran has reported an emergency shutdown of the plant, located in the southern port city of Bushehr.

It went online in 2011 with help from Russia.

Iran is required to send spent fuel rods from the reactor back to Russia as a nuclear non-proliferation measure.

Earlier on Sunday, Tavanir released a statement saying the nuclear plant was being repaired, without offering further details. It said the repair work would take until Friday.

In March, nuclear official Mahmoud Jafari said the plant could stop working since Iran cannot procure parts and equipment for it from Russia due to banking sanctions imposed by the US in 2018.

The Bushehr plant is fueled by uranium produced in Russia, and is monitored by the United Nations’ International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).

The IAEA did not immediately respond to request for comment on the reported shutdown.

The interior of an industrial building with yellow catwalks above and banks of orange machinery.
Iran’s electricity company said the power plant was being repaired.(Reuter: Mehr News Agency/Majid Asgaripour)

Construction of the reactor, on the coast of the northern reaches of the Persian Gulf, began under Iran’s shah in the mid-1970s.

After the 1979 Islamic Revolution, the plant was repeatedly targeted in the Iran-Iraq war. Russia later completed construction of the facility.

The plant, which sits near active fault lines and was built to withstand powerful quakes, has been periodically shaken by temblors.

There have been no significant earthquakes reported in the area in recent days.

Progress made on Iran nuclear agreement

Meanwhile, top diplomats said on Sunday that further progress had been made at talks between Iran and global powers to try to restore a landmark 2015 agreement abandoned by the Trump administration to contain Iranian nuclear development.

The agreement, the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), more commonly known as the Iran nuclear deal, abolished international economic sanctions on Iran.

In return, Iran would be subjected to unannounced inspections of its nuclear facilities, but allowed to enrich uranium to a maximum of 3.67 per cent for its power reactors.Iran is increasing uranium enrichment Experts say Iran’s decision to enrich uranium up to 60 per cent is “risky and dangerous”

However, former US president Donald Trump ripped up the deal in May 2018 and reimposed economic sanctions on Iran.

The diplomats on Sunday said it was now up to the governments involved in the negotiations to make political decisions on renewing the agreement.

It was the first official meeting since Iran’s hard-line judiciary chief, Ebrahim Raisi,  won a landslide victory in the country’s presidential election last week.

Some diplomats expressed concern that Iran’s election of Mr Raisi could complicate a possible return to the nuclear agreement.

Enrique Mora, the European Union official who chaired the final meeting of the sixth round of talks between Russia, China, Germany, France, Britain and Iran, told reporters that “we are closer to a deal, but we are not still there”.

“We have made progress on a number of technical issues,” Mora added.

“We have now more clarity on technical documents — all of them quite complex — and that clarity allows us to have also a great idea of what the political problems are.”

He did not elaborate.

Top Russian representative, Mikhail Ulyanov, said he expected the diplomats to return for the final round of talks in Vienna in about 10 days, and that they could finalise negotiations by mid-July.

AP/Fox News/ IAEA/ State TV/Reuters/

#AceNewsDesk report ……Published: Jun.22: 2021:

Editor says …Sterling Publishing & Media Service Agency is not responsible for the content of external site or from any reports, posts or links, and can also be found here on Telegram: https://t.me/acenewsdaily all of our posts fromTwitter can be found here: https://acetwitternews.wordpress.com/ and all wordpress and live posts and links here: https://acenewsroom.wordpress.com/and thanks for following as always appreciate every like, reblog or retweet and free help and guidance tips on your PC software or need help & guidance from our experts AcePCHelp.WordPress.Com

#bushehr, #iran, #nuclear-power-plant, #tehran

JAPAN:VIDEO: ‘ Alert of increased activity near newly restarted Sendai nuclear power plant ‘

#AceNewsReport – JAPAN:Aug.15: Japan has warned that the Sakurajima volcano, located 50 km from the just-restarted Sendai nuclear power plant, is showing signs of increased activity.

The volcano, located on the southern Kyushu Island, is one of the most active in Japan, but a larger-than-usual eruption may come, the country’s Meteorological Agency said. Roughly 100 people living near the mountain’s base were told to be prepared for evacuation. The Sendai plant was brought online on Tuesday after a long delay after safety overhaul prompted by the Fukushima disaster.

The national nuclear regulator believes that volcanic activity poses only a negligible threat to the facility.

Ace Worldwide News

 

#countrys-meteorological-agency, #japan, #nuclear-power-plant, #sakurajima-volcano, #southern-kyushu-island, #volcanic-activity

RUSSIA: ‘ 195 Soviet-Era Decommissioned Submarines are Disposed ‘

#AceNewsReport – Featured Post:June.12: Currently, 195 of the 201 decommissioned submarines have been disposed. The demolition of the rest submarines and 14 technical support vessels is due to be completed by 2020.

1023270658
‘ 195 of 201 Decommissioned Soviet-Era Submarines are Disposed ‘

Russia’s Rosatom Corporation is nearing to complete the disposal of Soviet-made decommissioned nuclear-powered submarines and support vessels.

Currently, 195 of the 201 decommissioned submarines have been disposed. The demolition of all the decommissioned nuclear submarines and 14 technical support vessels is due to be completed by 2020.

“We have started the disposal of technical support vessels and depot ships. By 2020, we are expected to complete the disposal of all 14 support ships decommissioned from the Northern and the Pacific Fleets as well as two Atomflot support ships,” Rosatom CEO Sergei Kirienko said during the “70th anniversary of the Russian Atom” forum in Chelyabinsk.

K-3 Leninsky Komsomol

“195 of the 201 submarines have been dismantled and recycled. Six submarines are left. Now we have no vessels standing in queue for dismantling. In 1999, when Rosatom was charged with the disposal there were 120 submarines waiting,” Kirienko said.

In 2014, the disposal of the “Volodarsky” depot ship was completed. Now, the disposal of the “Lepse” depot ship has begun. Within six months, it will be discharged of nuclear fuel. Then it will be prepared for wet storage before the disposal.

Kirienko also pointed out that under the “Nuclear radioactive safety 2” program new equipment and technology were developed, including the recycling technology for the uranium-beryllium fuel from project 705 submarines which were equipped with liquid-metal reactors.

The need for the disposal of nuclear submarines and depot ships emerged after the fall of the Soviet Union. At that time, military spending was significantly reduced.

More than 200 submarines built-in the 1950-1980s, and a large number of support vessels, were decommissioned from the Russian navy.

@AceNewsServices

#russia, #atomflot, #black-sea, #bushehr, #chelyabinsk, #china, #iran, #mediterranean-sea, #mikheil-saakashvili, #ministry-of-defence-russia, #moscow, #nuclear-power, #nuclear-power-plant, #odessa-oblast, #ria-novosti, #rosatom, #russian-navy, #sergey-kiriyenko, #telegraph-agency-of-the-soviet-union

EU: “Suspends Sanctions Against Iran in Preparedness for Nuclear Deal”

#AceNewsServices says EU suspends ‘certain sanctions’ as Iran halts 20% uranium enrichment

Published time: January 20, 2014 09:23
Edited time: January 20, 2014 15:07
Iran Nuclear Plan A general view shows map of area of the Iranian nuclear power plant of Natanz, 270 kms south of Tehran (AFP Photo)
Download video (17.53 MB) “Just Right Click and Save Link” or “Alternatively Click link and Watch”  Editor.  
The EU has announced it is suspending “certain sanctions” against Iran as it halts its 20 percent enrichment of uranium. This marks the landmark nuclear deal between Tehran and the six world powers coming into force.

The European Council has announced that certain EU sanctions against Iran will be suspended.

Press release on #Iran: EU suspends certain sanctions as Joint Plan of Action enters into force. http://t.co/0noR9jz9AU

— EU Council Press (@EUCouncilPress) January 20, 2014

The decision will ease restrictions on trade in petrochemicals, precious metals and the provision of insurance for oil shipments. The ban on vessels to transport Iranian crude will also be lifted as part of the Joint Plan of Action, struck in November 2013 between Tehran and the so-called P5+1 (Britain, China, France, Germany, Russia and the US).

Earlier in the day, Tehran announced a halt in its uranium enrichment program. Centrifuge cascades at Iranian nuclear plants were disconnected under the supervision of UN nuclear inspectors, who arrived in Iran over the weekend to check Iran’s compliance with the deal.

ISIS-DigitalGlobe satellite imagery analysis o...

ISIS-DigitalGlobe satellite imagery analysis of the Natanz Uranium Enrichment Plant in Iran. February 25, 2006. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

In line with the implementation of the Geneva joint plan of action, Iran suspended the production of 20 percent enriched uranium in the presence of UN nuclear watchdog inspectors at Natanz and Fordo sites,” AFP cited Mohammad Amiri, director general for safeguards at Iran’s Atomic Energy Organisation. 

Apart from suspending enrichment of uranium to 20 percent – the level that’s close to the one needed for nuclear weapons production – Iran has also pledged to dilute half of the stockpile of the already enriched material. 

A confidential report by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), obtained by Reuters, has confirmed that Iran “has ceased enriching uranium above 5 percent U-235 at the two cascades at the Pilot Fuel Enrichment Plant (PFEP) and four cascades at the Fordo Fuel Enrichment Plant (FFEP) previously used for this purpose.” 

The same report states that Iran has stopped “conducting any further advances” to its activities at the Arak heavy-water nuclear reactor, which Western powers feared could produce plutonium to be used as bomb fuel. 

According to the agreement Iran is freezing parts of its nuclear program in exchange for the easing of sanctions by the EU and the US, including lifting restrictions on Iranian exports of petrochemicals. Iran will also be able to import parts for its auto manufacturing industry and trade in gold and other precious metals.

The value of sanctions relief could amount to $7 billion, according to US government estimates. 

Iranian President Hassan Rouhani is expected to try to persuade Western companies to invest in Iran at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, on Thursday. Several European political and trade delegations have already visited the country in recent weeks, signaling a thaw in the EU-Iran relations. 

The interim nuclear deal with Iran which came into force Monday will be in effect for six months, until the country and the P5+1 strike a permanent agreement, supposed to bring more stability to the volatile Middle East.

Achieving that won’t be easy though, as RT’s Middle East correspondent Paula Slier reports from Tel Aviv, where the government is the main opponent of the accord. 

What is not clear in how the US is going to maneuver its way forward,” Slier says. “It has a very fine line to walk. On the one hand you have Israel that continues to say that this was the deal with the devil. But on the other hand you have Iran, which Barack Obama is urging to come to the party, and he himself needs to show transparency and commitment while not alienating his friend, Tel Aviv, in the region.

There are also threats for more sanctions coming from a group of US senators, who have prepared legislation to enact new economic constraints in case no new deal is reached in six months.

Tehran has long been irritated by the plans voiced in the US Congress.

“Those in the United States who are pushing for more sanctions have to see what this policy has produced and whether it is worth risking. I don’t want to get engaged in a childish discussion on whether Iran is bluffing or not. They can test us,” Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif told RT’s Sophie Shevardnadze earlier in January.

 

Enhanced by Zemanta

#acenewsservices, #barack-obama, #digitalglobe, #enriched-uranium, #european-union, #international-atomic-energy-agency, #iran, #middle-east, #natanz, #nuclear-power-plant, #paula-slier, #tehran, #united-states