#AceNewsServices – ANKARA – May 27 – Italian journalist Federico Motka, kidnapped in war-torn Syria over a year ago, has been freed and safely transferred to Turkey, via the Akcakale border gate in the south-eastern province of Sanliurfa.
Tomorrow he will see his relatives in Italy, promised Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi on Twitter. 31-year-old Motka used to work in Syria as a coordinator for the Agency for Technical Cooperation and Development (ACTED) and was abducted by a group of armed men on March 13, 2013.
Back in April four French journalists were freed in Syria after 10 months of captivity, also returning home via Turkey.
Freed journalist believed to be kidnapped by ISIL
Federico Motka was greeted by Turkish army officials at the border and underwent a medical check-up at a local hospital. He was then brought to a local police department for his testimony.
Motka had been kidnapped on March 12 last year in Atmeh town in Syria’s northern city of Idlib, security sources told Anadolu Agency.
In his statement, the 31 year-old journalist, said he saw the flag of the group, who tortured and relocated him six times.
He will be sent back to Italy shortly after official procedures are completed, the police said.
ISIL is a hard-liner militant group fighting in the northern and eastern regions of the war-torn country in a bid to establish their own state.
Back in mid-April, four French journalists, following 10 months of captivity in Syria, were released and also brought to Turkey before returning to their home country.
Twitter – Hurriyet Daily – Anadolu