‘ NSA Monitor’s Students in School on Social Media ‘

#AceNewsServices – ALABAMA – September 28 – A secret surveillance program has been running in an Alabama high schools after a phone call from the National Security Agency alerted the district to a ‘violent threat’.

School officials claim the system began monitoring students’ social media accounts in Huntsville City Schools 18 months ago, when the NSA tipped them off that a student was making violent threats on Facebook.

' SAFe, or Students Against Fear '

‘ SAFe, or Students Against Fear ‘

The schools began scanning Facebook and other sites for signs of gang activity, watching for photos of guns, photos of gang signs and threats of violence, as part of a program called SAFe, or Students Against Fear.

Internal documents explaining the program were obtained by AL.com, showing four different students – three males and one female – posing on Facebook with handguns. 

None are on school grounds. Some of the students were already in alternative programs for skipping or drinking. Three are listed as expelled and one was referred for counseling.

Huntsville schools Superintendent Casey Wardynski told the news site that there was a ‘foreign connection’, which was why the NSA – a U.S. agency responsible for foreign intelligence – became involved.

He said the student in Huntsville had made the threats while chatting on-line with a group that included an individual in Yemen.

Mr Wardynski, a former U.S. Army colonel appointed as superintendent in Huntsville in 2011, said that about a year and a half ago the NSA called Huntsville and reported a high school student had made a threat on Facebook to injure a teacher.

Al Lankford, the city’s school security officer, told AL.com that he took the NSA phone call and that security officers went to the high school and eventually searched the boy’s car.

Source: 

#ANS2014 

#alabama, #facebook, #huntsville, #nsa, #safe, #yemen

India: “Plans to put `Safe Guards onto Social Media Sites’ such as Facebook and Twitter”

#AceWorldNews says the Indian home affairs minister Sushilkumar Shinde said that the government was planning to put a check on social media sites. He backed the move by alleging “misuse” of social media and hinted they incited riots between Hindu and Muslim communities in Uttar Pradesh in August last year.

The minister made his comments while addressing the launch of a Hindi newspaper in Patna in the north of India, and also said that newspapers face a challenge to uphold honest journalism.

#facebook, #guards, #hindi, #hindu, #india, #journalism, #muslim, #newspaper, #patna, #riots, #safe, #social-media, #twitter