An arms factory run by the Jabhat al-Nusra, an al-Qaeda affiliate, has been destroyed by the US-led coalition’s airstrikes, Lebanon’s Al Mayadeen TV reported Tuesday. The target was located in the Idlib province in northern Syria.
According to Al Mayadeen, at the same time the Syrian Air Force launched airstrikes at Islamic State militants’ positions in the Al-Hasakah Governorate in northeast Syria.
US Central Command has previously said the strikes have been conducted from warships in international waters in Red Sea and North Arabian Gulf, with the participation of Qatar, Bahrain, Jordan, Saudi Arabia and the UAE.
Residents are escaping the Syrian city of Raqqa following US military planes’ strikes on IS positions, Reuters reported, citing eyewitnesses.
“There is an exodus out of Raqqa as we speak. It started in the early hours of the day after the strikes. People are fleeing toward the countryside,” a city resident said.
The death toll from US-led air-strikes on Al-Qaeda-affiliated Nusra front positions has risen to 50, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights told Reuters.
Syria will not stop fighting against Islamic State militants, the country’s Foreign Ministry said, adding that cooperation between Syria and Iraq in combating terrorists remains “at the highest possible level.”
If not agreed with the Syrian government in Damascus, any air-strikes against Islamic State militants in the country will only fuel tensions in the region, the Foreign Ministry said in its statement.
“Any such action can be carried out only in accordance with international law. That implies not a formal, one-sided ‘notification’ of air-strikes but the presence of explicit consent from the government of Syria or the approval of a corresponding UN Security Council decision,” the statement said, adding that attempts to violate the sovereignty of countries in the Middle East to achieve Washington’s own geopolitical goals “only exacerbates tensions and further destabilizes the situation.”
The Syrian government has issued a statement, expressing its readiness to cooperate with any international effort fighting terrorism.
NATO is not involved in any air-strikes on Islamic State targets in Syria, the alliance said from its headquarters in Brussels on Tuesday. “There is no NATO involvement,” an alliance official said.
The organizers of the unilateral approaches that rely on force would bear international statutory responsibility for the consequences, commented Russia’s Foreign Ministry on the air-strikes launched by the US-led coalition against the militants of the Islamic State in Syria.
IS militants claim that a US drone has crashed into a communications tower near the Syrian city of Raqqa.
A Syrian man rides his bike past a communications tower that was destroyed after a US drone crashed into it, according to fighters with the Islamic State group, in the Syrian city of Raqqa early on September 23, 2014. (AFP Photo/Str)
The US Central Command has said in an official statement that it conducted strikes from warships in international waters in Red Sea and North Arabian Gulf.
An Islamic State fighter in Syria told Reuters that the radical group will respond to the US-led attacks and blamed Saudi Arabia for letting them take place.
US Central Command has issued a statement saying that the US and its “partner nations,” including Bahrain, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Qatar and the United Arab Emirates “undertook military action” against IS in Syria, using “a mix of fighter, bomber, remotely-piloted aircraft and Tomahawk land attack missiles” to carry out 14 air-strikes.