#AceHealthNews – GUINEA – March 30 – In an effort to prevent the spread of the Ebola virus outbreak in Guinea, neighbouring Senegal has closed its land border.
So far 70 people have died in Guinea, the discovery of 11 suspected deaths from Ebola in Sierra Leone and Liberia in recent days, forced Senegal to further secure its borders.
Meanwhile Guinea health officials announce that they introduced strict measures to stop the epidemic and told citizens not to panic.
#Ace Related News
1. March 27 -21.48 GMT – #AceHealthNews – GUINEA – March 27 – Four new cases of the deadly Ebola virus in Guinea has been confirmed in the southern forests, health sources told AFP.
The patients were immediately quarantined in isolation centres to avoid the spread of the disease. http://wp.me/p165ui-4zc
#AceWorldNews says Senegal is demanding that the owner of the Russian trawler Oleg Naydenov, which was seized by the Senegalese military on suspicion of illegal fishing, pays over US$ 800,000 in compensation.“We will apply [the law] in full force to protect our resources,” the west African nation’s Fisheries Minister Haidar El-Ali told AFP.
He described illegal fishing as “the cause of enormous damage to our economy and especially to our food security.” The Senegalese law allows for a fine of up to 200 million CFA francs ($ 414,000) for this offense.
“The Oleg Naydenov is a repeat offender. So we asked for a fine of 400 million CFA francs,” the minister said. The vessel, owned by a private Russian company, was seized on January 4 with 82 crewmembers on-board, including 62 Russians and 20 citizens of Guinea-Bissau, and convoyed to the port of Dakar.