#AceBreakingNews – SPAIN (Madrid) – October 06 – A nurse who treated two Ebola patients at a Madrid hospital has become infected with the disease herself, health officials said.
“Two tests were done and the two were positive,” a spokesman for the health department of the regional government of Madrid told AFP.
Spain’s Minister of Health, Ana Mato, says the authorities are working to distinguish the source of the disease’s contraction as strict controls were implemented to prevent Ebola’s spread. He added that there is no knowledge of any other cases.
The nurse is in a “stable“ condition, according to officials. She reportedly started feeling sick on September 30. The patient whom she had been treating had died on September 25. Missionary Manuel Garcia Viejo had been helping Ebola victims in Sierra Leone.
In addition to the nurse and Viejo, Spain has had one other case, making it the third in the country. Another missionary, Miguel Pajares contracted the disease after working in Liberia. Pajares also died.
The 44-year-old woman is the first person to actually contract the disease outside of West Africa. Other cases in Spain – or more recently, the US – have been the result of individuals contracting the disease on the African continent and then travelling abroad.
Thanks to the latest CBS “60 Minutes,” American viewers witnessed the journey that brought Mariata and Sufiatu, two young girls suffering a deadly heart condition, from Sierra Leone to Sudan where they were treated at the Salaam Center, the only state-of-the-art facility that provides free cardiac surgery in Africa, run by EMERGENCY.
While the Salaam Center is the only facility to offer such special cardiac surgery care in the entire continent, EMERGENCY is also very active in Sierra Leone, among other countries, where we provide surgical and pediatric care and preventative medicine.
In 2001, when a bloody civil war that killed more than 50,000 people and forced many more to flee the country was coming to an end, EMERGENCY began a program for war victims in Goderich, a village near Freetown. Today that program has expanded to also include a Pediatric Outpatient Department kids are treated mainly for malaria, anemia and respiratory infections.
To learn more about the status of healthcare in Sierra Leone, we invite you to join us for an online chat with Sierra Leone former Information & Broadcasting Minister Cecile Blake, TV personality Nzinga Blake, and EMERGENCY USA Executive Director Eric Talbert on Thursday May 20, 2014 at 10 AM PT/1 PM ET. RSVP here to participate and send us questions via Facebook and Twitter.
#AceNewsServices – ROME – UNITED NATIONS – May 02 – The United Nations Committee against Torture, which requires nations to come before the panel and defend their human rights records, will put an unlikely subject on its hot seat next week when it calls in the Vatican.
The UN panel, which includes representatives from China, the U.S. and eight other nations, will meet in Geneva and call the Vatican to account for its record on torture and inhumane punishment in a procedure to be aired live on the Internet beginning Monday.
It’s standard procedure for all 155 nations that signed on to the committee’s convention to submit a report and come before the panel, and the Vatican is both a nation-state and a signatory.
Cyprus, Lithuania, Guinea, Montenegro, Sierra Leone, Thailand and Uruguay are also scheduled to appear beginning next week.
“The Holy See initiated the procedure by submitting their written report,” Felice Gaer, the U.S. representative and a vice-chair of the committee, told FoxNews.com.
At past sessions, nations that carry out or condone practices universally recognized as inhumane have been forced to defend their records.
The Centre for Constitutional Rights, which represents the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, has called for the committee to grill the Vatican regarding long-standing allegations of sexual abuse among clergy, contending failures in the Holy See’s response to the scandal amounts to a violation of the convention.
While it is possible the panel will raise long-standing allegations of sexual abuse among clergy, the Vatican report focuses mostly on what the church has and has not done to stop other nations from carrying out human rights violations.
Officials for the Holy See did not immediately return requests for comment.
Ace Related News:
1. Fox – May 03 – http://tinyurl.com/p67fgq3
#AceHealthNews – GUINEA – March 30 – In an effort to prevent the spread of the Ebola virus outbreak in Guinea, neighbouring Senegal has closed its land border.
So far 70 people have died in Guinea, the discovery of 11 suspected deaths from Ebola in Sierra Leone and Liberia in recent days, forced Senegal to further secure its borders.
Meanwhile Guinea health officials announce that they introduced strict measures to stop the epidemic and told citizens not to panic.
The patients were immediately quarantined in isolation centres to avoid the spread of the disease. http://wp.me/p165ui-4zc
#AceHealthNews – GUINEA – March 27 – Four new cases of the deadly Ebola virus in Guinea has been confirmed in the southern forests, health sources told AFP.
The patients were immediately quarantined in isolation centres to avoid the spread of the disease.
Dozens of health workers have been sent to the country to combat the haemorrhagic fever outbreak which so far has claimed the lives of at least 63 victims, many of whom have been confirmed to have been infected by Ebola.
The tropical virus causes high fever and muscle ache, vomiting, diarrhea and, in some instances, organ failure and bleeding.
Besides Guinea, five other Ebola-like deaths are being investigated in Liberia, one in Sierra Leone which could bring the total in the epidemic to above 70.
Ace Related News
1. March 23 – 12.10 GMT – Extract – #AceHealthNews – GUINEA – 23 March – The deadly epidemic, which has killed at least 59 people, in Guinea, West Africa, and could have spread to neighbouring Sierra Leone, has been confirmed to be Ebola, according to government officials. http://wp.me/p165ui-4uC
#AceHealthNews – GUINEA – 23 March – The deadly epidemic, which has killed at least 59 people, in Guinea, West Africa, and could have spread to neighbouring Sierra Leone, has been confirmed to be Ebola, according to government officials.
Following failed attempts by medical experts in Guinea to identify the disease, which started claiming lives six weeks ago, samples of the virus were sent to scientists in the French city of Lyon, who confirmed the virus was Ebola.
“The Ebola fever epidemic raging in southern Guinea, including the prefectures of Gueckedou and Macenta, since February 9 has left at least 59 dead out of 80 cases identified by our services on the ground,” the Guinean health ministry’s chief disease prevention officer, Sakoba Keita, announced on Saturday, according to AFP.
The disease, which has diarrhoea, vomiting and bleeding among its symptoms and kills between 25 and 90 percent of those who fall sick, depending on the virus’s strain, has never before been registered in Guinea. It has now been found in three south-eastern towns and in the capital, Conakry.
The disease could have also spread to neighbouring Sierra Leone, according to World Health Organization (WHO) officials, who reported cases showing similar symptoms there.
RT – AFP – World Health News
Ace Related News
1. 22 March – 20.33 GMT – Extract – #AceHealthNews – GUINEA – 22 March – Guinea has confirmed that an outbreak of Hemorrhagic Fever is Ebola – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebola_virus_diseasehttp://wp.me/p165ui-4u2
#AceHealthNews – GUINEA – 22 March – Guinea has confirmed that an outbreak of Hemorrhagic Fever is Ebola – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebola_virus_disease
The fever, which has already killed 34 people in Guinea, may have spread to neighbouring Sierra Leone, according to the World Health Organization (WHO) and a senior Sierra Leone health official.
Forty-nine cases of the infection have already been registered in Guinea since the outbreak was first reported on February 9.
Ace Related News :
1. March 22 – 17.53 GMT – Extract – #AceHealthNews – GUINEA – 22 March – An outbreak of Hemorrhagic fever that has already killed 29 people in Guinea may have spread to neighbouring Sierra Leone, according to the World Health Organization (WHO) and a senior Sierra Leone health official. http://wp.me/p165ui-4tJ
#AceHealthNews – GUINEA – 22 March – An outbreak of Hemorrhagic fever that has already killed 29 people in Guinea may have spread to neighbouring Sierra Leone, according to the World Health Organization (WHO) and a senior Sierra Leone health official.
Forty-nine cases of infection have already been registered in Guinea since the outbreak was first reported on February 9.
An official from Guinea said that preliminary tests have narrowed down the possibilities of the exact type of fever to either Ebola or Marburg Hemorrhagic Fever, but WHO officials suspect that it may be Lassa fever.