#AceBreakingNews – LIBYA:June.09: Islamic State militants have seized a power plant west of the Libyan city of Sirte, Reuters reported.
IS announced the seizure in a message on social media, adding that “now the city of Sirte has been freed completely.” Forces loyal to the self-declared government that controls the Libyan capital Tripoli pulled out of Sirte after the attack on the plant began.
Three soldiers were killed, according to a military source.
#AceWorldNews – TRIPOLI – October 24 – Lebanese troops arrested a recruiter for the Islamic State group wanted for the beheading of a captured soldier, in a raid Thursday that netted more suspects and killed three gunmen, the army said.
“A military intelligence unit carried out a security operation at dawn in the Dinniyeh area” of northern Lebanon on an apartment in which jihadist Ahmad Miqati was living, a statement said.
Miqati and his son Omar were arrested in the raid. They, along with a Miqati nephew identified as Bilal “were involved in the slaying of martyred Sergeant Ali Sayyid” in the border town of Arsal, the army said.
Tensions have soared in Lebanon since August when the army fought deadly clashes with jihadists of the IS and Al-Qaeda affiliate Al-Nusra Front in Arsal.
The jihadists are demanding that Lebanon free Islamist prisoners.
#AceNewsServices – LEBANON – Families of the Lebanese soldiers and security officers kidnapped by Takfiri terrorists in Syria have blocked roads in Lebanon, urging the government to do more to release their loved ones.
On Monday, protesters erected high sand mounds across Dahr al-Baidar highway in the capital, Beirut, blocking all access, including a narrow passageway that had been kept open for ambulances and emergency cases.
Security sources said the road blockage was meant to express the families’ growing frustration with regard to what happened to their loved ones.
In northern Lebanon, relatives of captive soldier, Ibrahim Mogheit, also cut off a highway in Qalamoun region, severing access to the city of Tripoli.
Traffic had to be redirected to a narrow road, causing long trails of stranded cars.
#AceNewsServices – LIBYA (Tripoli) – October 06 – Islamist militias in Libya took control of nearly a dozen commercial jet-liners last month, and western intelligence agencies recently issued a warning that the jets could be used in terrorist attacks across North Africa the Free Beacon reported on September 02 2014.
“There are a number of commercial airliners in Libya that are missing,” said one official. “We found out on September 11 what can happen with hijacked planes.”
The official said the aircraft are a serious counter-terrorism concern because reports of terrorist control over the Libyan airliners came three weeks before the 13th anniversary of 9/11 attacks and the second anniversary of the Libyan terrorist attack on the U.S. diplomatic compound in Benghazi.
Four Americans, including Ambassador Christopher Stevens, were killed in the Benghazi attack, which the Obama administration initially said was the result of a spontaneous demonstration against an anti-Muslim video.
A senior State Department counter-terrorism official declined to comment on reports of the stolen jet-liners.
A second State department official sought to downplay the reports. “We can’t confirm that,” he said.
Meanwhile, officials said Egyptian military forces appear to be preparing to intervene in Libya to prevent the country from becoming a failed state run by terrorists, many with ties to al Qaeda.
Libya remains an oil-rich state and if the country is taken over completely by Islamist extremists, U.S. counter-terrorism officials believe it will become another terrorist safe haven in the region.
The officials said U.S. intelligence agencies have not confirmed the aircraft theft following the takeover of Tripoli International Airport in late August, and are attempting to locate all aircraft owned by two Libyan state-owned airline companies, as security in the country continued to deteriorate amid fighting between Islamists and anti-Islamist militias.
#AceBreakingNews – LIBYA (Tripoli) – A boat carrying at least 250 African migrants to Europe capsized before leaving the coast near the capital, Tripoli, drowning dozens, according to a spokesman of Libya’s coast guard.
Qassim Ayoub said that Libyan coast guards were retrieving dozens of bodies still floating 18 kilometres off the coast in the Tajoura district, AP reported.
Thirty-six African migrants, including three women – one of them pregnant – were rescued Monday.
Governor Saddek Omar Elkaber, who is currently in Algiers attending a conference of Arab central bank directors, failed to attend a session at the House of Representatives, which is currently meeting in the city of Tobruk in the east of the country after last month an armed opposition group seized the capital Tripoli.
The Islamist groups that have captured the capital have reinstated the previous parliament as their positions in it were much stronger.
Hashem added that 94 of the 102 lawmakers presented at the session, during which they agreed on this decision. The dismissal is widely seen as a move by the newly elected parliament to secure its financial channels against the ex- parliament General National Congress (GNC) Xinhua reported.
Al-Kabir, allegedly supporting the ex-parliament, responded on Sunday that he will not surrender his position. According to local media, Al-Kabir has long stayed in his residence in Malta and refused to cooperate with the new parliament.
Until a successor is appointed, deputy governor Ali al-Hibri will be in charge at the Central Bank.
#AceWorldNews – LIBYA (Tripoli) – September 07 – Libya accused Sudan of arming terrorists and expelled the country’s military attaché on Saturday, a government statement said.
The Libyan government added that a Sudanese military transport plane under the control of a militant group had entered its airspace, with the intention of supplying a “terrorist group” with ammunition. “This work from the Sudanese state violates [the sovereignty] of the State of Libya and interferes with its affairs,” the Libyan statement said, claiming that Sudan is actually “supporting a terrorist group.
According to Libya, the Sudanese plane was on its way to Tripoli-Matiga airport after making a refuelling stop in the Libyan desert oasis Kufra near the border with Sudan.
Sudan has confirmed that it sent a military plane, but denied it was meant to support non-state militant groups, stating that the plane was carrying equipment for a joint Libyan-Sudanese border force.
#AceBreakingNews – LIBYA (Tripoli) – August 31 – ISLAMIST MILITIA GROUP SAYS IT HAS ‘SECURED’ A US EMBASSY COMPOUND IN LIBYA’S CAPITAL
Developing story still coming in ………………….. more soon
Just in from AP TRIPOLI, Libya (AP) – An Islamist-allied militia group “secured” a U.S. Embassy residential compound in Libya’s capital, more than a month after American personnel evacuated from the country over ongoing fighting, one of its commanders said Sunday.
An Associated Press journalist walked through the compound Sunday after the Dawn of Libya, an umbrella group for Islamist militias, invited onlookers inside. Some windows at the compound had been broken, but it appeared most of the equipment there remained untouched. The journalist saw treadmills, food, televisions and computers still inside.
#AceWorldNews – LIBYA (Tripoli) – August 21 – Tunisia and Egypt’s Cairo airport cancelled all flights to Libya on Thursday, Reuters said.
Tunisian aviation officials gave no explanation, while Cairo airport authorities had cancelled flights to and from the neighbouring country for security reasons, according to Libyan news agency LANA.
The Libyan government said on Monday that unidentified war planes had attacked the positions of armed groups in Tripoli fighting with a rival faction.
#AceWorldNews – LIBYA (Tripoli) – July 27 – At least 15 people died when a residential building was hit during a rocket attack in Tripoli, Libya, Itar-Tass reported.
The building, which housed Egyptian workers, was completely destroyed by the explosion.
The Egyptian Foreign Ministry issued a statement warning its citizens to avoid travelling to Libya due to heightened tensions in the country.
#AceWorldNews – LIBYA (Tripoli) – July 14 – At least five people have been killed and nine wounded in the Libyan city of Benghazi after heavy fighting between security forces and rival militias erupted late on Sunday, hospital and security sources said.
Irregular forces loyal to renegade former general Khalifa Haftar bombarded Islamist militia bases as part of his campaign to oust militants from Benghazi, and special forces also clashed with militia fighters in the city.
There were also clashes in the city.
Three years after the fall of former President Muammar Gaddafi, Libya has slipped into political chaos, with the new government and army unable to control former rebels and militias .
#AceWorldNews – June 05 – LIBYA (Tripoli) – The International Committee of the Red Cross is suspending operations in Libya while it investigates the killing of a staff member there, Reuters reported.
Michael Greub, the Swiss head of a sub-delegation of the ICRC, was shot in the central coastal town of Sirte on Wednesday. “It’s a bit difficult to say if the organization was targeted or our colleague because he was a Westerner.
We just need to pause the operation,” ICRC spokesman Wolde-Gabriel Saugeron said in Geneva.
#AceWorldNews – BENGHAZI – May 27 – Gunmen shot dead a newspaper editor who was an outspoken critic of Islamists in Libya’s volatile east on Monday, in a targeted killing that came hours after he warned the Islamist-led parliament of a civil war if it didn’t bow to widespread demands to disband and allow early elections.
Libya is deeply polarized, with a renegade general having launched an armed campaign against Islamists, who dominate the elected parliament and who on Sunday approved a new prime minister days after thousands held demonstrations demanding the assembly halt sessions.
The demonstrators also accused it of financing Islamist militias.
A security official said the 50-year-old Moftah Abu Zeid, chief editor of the Brnieq newspaper, was attacked while driving down a main street in the eastern city of Benghazi, cradle of the 2011 revolt that toppled and killed longtime ruler Moammar Gadhafi.
Over the last three years the city has seen near-daily attacks targeting security forces, activists, judges and moderate clerics.
Reuters – AP – Libya News
#AceWorldNews – RIYADH – May 19 – Saudi Arabia closed its embassy and consulate in the Libyan capital and withdrew its entire diplomatic staff on Monday, Reuters said.
“All the diplomatic staff have left the Libyan capital on board a private plane due to the security situation through which Libya is passing,” ambassador Mohammed Mahmoud al-Ali said in a statement.
#AceWorldNews – TRIPOLI – May 13 – Jordan’s ambassador to Libya has been freed after being abducted by gunmen in the capital, Tripoli, last month.
Fawaz al-Itan was released unharmed and was on his way home on Tuesday, Jordanian officials said.
Diplomats have been the targets of a number of abductions in Libya in recent months amid continuing instability.
The central government has struggled to assert its authority over the armed groups and tribesmen who helped end Muammar Gaddafi‘s 41-year rule in 2011.
Mr Itan was kidnapped in the Libyan capital on 15 April when masked gunmen shot at his car, wounding the driver.
“The ambassador is doing well and he is now making his way back to his country,” Mr Judeh was quoted as saying.
He gave no further details about the circumstances of the release.
Four weeks ago masked gunmen seized the Jordanian ambassador in the Libyan capital on Tuesday, officials said, the latest in a wave of abductions and kidnappings that have swept Libya underscoring the lawlessness in the North African nation since the 2011 overthrow of late dictator Muammar Qadhafi.
According to the spokesman of the Libyan Foreign Ministry, several masked gunmen in civilian clothes and in two cars opened fire at Ambassador Fawaz al-Etan’s vehicle early Tuesday morning in Tripoli.
The assailants wounded the Jordanian ambassador’s driver and forced Mr. al-Etan out at gunpoint, said the spokesman, Said al-Aswad.
Jordan’s Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Sabah al-Rafie confirmed the kidnapping but had no further details.
She said the Jordanian government was following the matter closely with the Libyan authorities.
The motives behind the abduction were not clear and no one immediately claimed responsibility for the attack.
- Libya: Jordan’s Envoy Is Held Hostage – New York Times(nytimes.com)
- Gunmen abduct Jordan ambassador in Libya(thehindu.com)
#AceWorldNews – TRIPOLI – may 11 – At least 40 people have died as a boat carrying migrants sank off Libya‘s coast, east of the capital, Tripoli, Reuters reports, citing a spokesman for the Interior Ministry.
Fifty-one people were rescued.
Libya’s porous borders with its sub-Saharan neighbours and its proximity to Italy and Malta across the Mediterranean have made the North African country a common transit route for migrants trying to reach Europe.
- Libyan minister appeals for EU help on migrants(thestate.com)
- Libyan minister appeals for EU help on migrants(sfgate.com)
- Malta talks on participation in Mare Nostrum migrants operation(timesofmalta.com)
#AceNewsServices – TRIPOLI – LIBYA – (ALJ) – Jaber Mejbari spent 45 days on a hunger strike in 2012, in protest against what he called “the unjust distribution of seats” for Libya’s Barqa region in the country’s National Congress.
“We in the east are under occupation and have been since 1949.
We need total independence for Barqa,” the 32-year-old, who says he is not affiliated to any political party, told Al Jazeera.
Mejbari’s views are emblematic of an increasingly vocal strand of public opinion in the eastern portion of Libya; here, many people feel angry and neglected by the government in Tripoli.
Report on (Reuters) – June 06 2013 – Libya said on Wednesday the headquarters of three more state firms as well as the state energy corporation would move from Tripoli to the eastern city of Benghazi, in a measure intended to devolve more authority to the oil-rich region.
A decree published on the government’s Facebook page confirmed that new head offices of Libyan Airlines, the Libyan Insurance Company and the National Investment Company, as well as the Tripoli-based National Oil Corporation (NOC), would be built in Benghazi.
Prime Minister Ali Zeidan said last week the NOC headquarters would move to Benghazi.
Libya FG Report – http://www.ifes.org/~/media/Files/Publications/Survey/2013/Libya_FG_Report_FINAL.pdf
Reuters and Al-Jazeera
#AceWorldNews – TRIPOLI – May 08 – Derna experienced two bomb attacks today – at the town’s historic Sahaba Mosque and at the university’s Fatayeh campus.
The bomb at the mosque, which exploded during Fajr (dawn) prayers targeted one of the many tombs at the complex.
There were no casualties although there was damage to buildings.
Islamists are suspected.
#AceWorldNews – TRIPOLI – May 08 – The head of intelligence in eastern region of Libya, Colonel Ibrahim Senussi, was reportedly assassinated on Thursday afternoon.
His car was shot at near the Benghazi medical college, and Senussi tried to escape but was shot again some 200 meters farther along the road, this time fatally, the Libya Herald said. Senussi was not identified by name, but was introduced as intelligence chief when he spoke on Libya’s Awalan TV two days ago.
He said terrorist groups were targeting anyone who had been trained abroad since the revolution, accusing Ansar Al-Sharia of being behind much of the violence in the city, the paper said.
Ace Related News:
1. Libya Herald – May 08 – http://tinyurl.com/plkt3yv