#AceWorldNews – CHINA – Nov.29 – An attack in China’s Yarkant County in Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region on Friday left four victims dead and another 14 injured, Chinese CCTV reported.
Police, responding to the emergency, killed 11 attackers.
Police said the assailants drove to a lively street in a local town and started throwing bombs and stabbing people.
The Chinese authorities described the incident as a terrorist attack.
The province, home to a considerable Muslim Uyghur minority, suffers from such outburst of random violence regularly.
#AceNewsServices – JERUSALEM – Nov.21 – The mayor of Jerusalem has called on Israeli authorities to revoke the citizenship of family members of terrorists. This proposal was made in response to growing tensions between Palestinians and Israelis.
“We must be extremely focused [in our efforts] against evil people, to locate them and deal with them firmly,” Mayor Nir Barkat told Army Radio, Haaretz reported.
Barkat said he had discussed the issue with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and the Cabinet.
“I think they understand it, and will examine how to revoke the citizenship of terrorists’ families, as well as how to act more decisively against those who incite, cause disturbances and throw stones.”
Barkat’s proposal comes a day after Itamat Shimoni, the mayor of Ashkelon, near the Gaza Strip, said he was planning to ban Arab workers from kindergartens.
“I have nothing against Arab Israelis; they work with us throughout the year and do construction for us.” However, he said, when tensions are high, just as Jews should be prevented from entering the Temple Mount, “by the same measure, I think it is wrong to allow Arab workers into the kindergartens.”
The comments by Ashkelon’s mayor were strongly condemned across the political spectrum.
“There is no place for discrimination against Arab Israelis,” Netanyahu said. “We cannot make generalizations about an entire population based on a small unruly minority. Most Arabs citizens of Israel are law-abiding.”
Shimoni said he wanted to increase security after five people were killed in synagogue in East Jerusalem by two Arabs in a terror attack on Tuesday. One UK and three US rabbis were among the victims, when they were attacked with knives, axes and a pistol. A police officer was also killed and seven people were injured. Both attackers were shot dead by police.
Barkat said that that Shimoni’s decision reminded him of the period of World War II in Europe.
“We cannot generalize in the same way that was done to the Jews 70 years ago,” Barkat said. “Here, in Jerusalem, we have tens of thousands of Arab laborers. We must make a very clear distinction”between terrorists and law-abiding citizens.
Barkat urged the residents of Jerusalem to continue employing Arab population. It was reported that the sister of one of the attackers in the synagogue November 18 was employed in Jerusalem.
But she is a “valued, excellent employee” who has been working for Jerusalem for more than a decade, said Barkat.
Tensions between Israelis and Palestinians have been running particularly high over the last two weeks and world leaders are becoming increasingly frustrated at the lack of progress in Israeli-Palestinian relations.
The Jerusalem mayor said he has introduced new plan to improve security in the city.
A total of 130 new police cruisers will be deployed in Jerusalem, with an extra 30 cruisers protecting schools and kindergartens, says a statement released by the mayor’s office, cited by The Times of Israel.
Also 215 new security guards will be present in the kindergartens and schools will receive hundreds of security cameras.
“Bringing back security to the city is our most important mission,” said Barkat, adding that four surveillance balloons have been deployed in the city.
#AceWorldNews – ROME- Nov.17 – The combat engineers defused the explosive device that had been planted at the building of Deutsche Bank in Naples ./TASS/. reported.
The bomb contained about a kilogram of explosive substance and would have inevitably led to victims and damage, Italian news channel Sky TG24 reported.
The home-made device was not supplied with remote management mechanisms.
Investigators are now working at the site.
#AceNewsServices – EL SALVADOR – November 06 – In a country terrorized by gangsters, it is left to the dead to break the silence on sexual violence AP reported.
Rather, to the bodies of women and girls pulled from clandestine graves, raped, battered and sometimes cut to pieces.
They attest to the abuse committed by members of street gangs who take girlfriends, discard them when they know too much, then deliver them to group rape and murder.
Al-Jazeera reported about the violence against women, in 2013 as endemic levels of sexual abuse and gender based violence have made El Salvador one of the most dangerous countries in the world for girls and women, amid entrenched “machismo” attitudes and a criminal justice system that too often fails victims.
More than seven sexual attacks were reported every day in the first three months of 2013 – a 17 percent rise in 12 months, according to official police figures.
Two thirds of the reported 636 rapes and sexual offences were committed against children under the age of 18. El Salvador has a population of 6.2 million.
While much of the country’s escalating violence over the past decade can be blamed on street gangs and drug traffickers, the most risky place for girls and women is still at home.
In January alone this year, police received 243 complaints of domestic violence – a 23 percent year-on-year rise.
Information gathered by the feminist organisation Ormusa (the Organisation of Salvadoran Women for Peace) reveals that most sexual assaults involve girls aged between 12 and 17 and take place at home.
Sexual crimes are usually committed by a close relative or family acquaintance while the mother is out working.
One in three pregnancies in El Salvador involves a teenaged girl, often the result of abuse, according to NGO Plan International.
Too many girls end up in relationships with much older men in order to escape poverty or violence at home, Roxana Ramos, a primary care nurse working with pregnant teens in Chalatenango, told Al Jazeera.
‘Tip of the iceberg’
Women and girls also bear the brunt of kidnappings – another violent crime which blights the country and causes huge anxiety among the population. In the first four months of 2013, almost 500 kidnappings were reported – 60 percent involved girls and women, according to the National Civilian Police (PNC).
It is widely believed that PNC figures represent only the “tip of the iceberg” of actual crimes committed, as fear, mistrust of authorities, social stigma and a lack of awareness among many women about their rights keeps many from speaking out. Conviction rate figures are not publicly available.
A prevailing machismo attitude among the police, prosecutors and judiciary in particular continues to be a huge obstacle to justice for women.
Sources: AP – AL-Jazeera – PNC
#AceNewsServices – HONG KONG – November 04 – British banker Rurik Jutting had his trading licence revoked by a Hong Kong bank on the same day he allegedly murdered one of his victims, it emerged today.
The 29-year-old, an employee at Bank of America Merrill Lynch, had his securities trading permit cancelled by Hong Kong’s de facto bank just three days before the bodies of two Indonesian prostitutes were found in his apartment.
The banker, a former student at Cambridge University, would have been unable to work in Hong Kong without the Bank of America-sponsored licence.
The news emerged amid reports that Jutting was like a ‘zombie’ after his regular weekend drug binges, according to a former Hong Kong law enforcement officer.
Out with the girls: Rurik Jutting was like a ‘zombie’ after his regular weekend drug binges, a former Hong Kong law enforcement office claimed today.
Reports have also surfaced that Jutting allegedly wrote an out-of-office email to Merrill Lynch staff and clients describing himself as an ‘insane psychopath’, shortly before the women were found, according to Yahoo.
Today, documents from the Hong Kong Monetary Authority revealed the banker was licensed to trade securities between November 11 2013 and October 27 this year.
But Mr Jutting’s other trading license – issued by the Hong Kong Securities and Futures Commission – was cancelled on October 28, according to the Wall Street Journal.
The banker would have needed a licence from both the HKMA and the SFC to continue trading.
Jutting appeared in court yesterday, charged with two counts of murder, after the bodies were found in his apartment on Saturday.
One of the bodies – found in a suitcase – has been identified as Sumarti Ningsih, while the the second woman has been named in local media as Jesse Lorena.
Earlier today, an ex officer told MailOnline how the pupils of the banker were dilated from suspected cocaine abuse and he appeared to have used amphetamines to act as a ‘livener’.
#AceWorldNews – UNITED STATES (New York) – September 11 – After Super-storm Sandy hit the East Coast nearly two years ago, the federal government quickly sent out $1.4 billion in emergency disaster aid to the hurricane’s victims.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency is scrutinizing about 4,500 households that it suspects received improper payments after the storm, according to program officials and data obtained by The Associated Press through a public records request.
As of early September, FEMA had asked around 850 of those households to return a collective $5.8 million. The other cases were still under review.
FEMA’s campaign to recover overpayments, called “recoupment” in agency lingo, typically involves inadvertent violations of eligibility rules, bureaucratic mistakes or missing documentation, rather than outright fraud.
Many people asked to return money were deemed ineligible because their damaged properties were vacation houses or rental properties, not their primary residences. Others had double dipped into the aid pool, with more than one household member getting payments. Some received FEMA money for things later covered by insurance.
As of July 30, the average demanded refund was $6,987, a sum that could be difficult for many, given the modest annual incomes of most aid applicants. Roughly half of the households under scrutiny reported an annual gross income of $30,000 or less.
The larger pool of cases still under review as of that date involved $53 million in aid payments – or about 3.7 percent of the total given out by FEMA through its individuals and households program – though any potential refunds would likely involve only a portion of that money.
#AceNewsServices – UNITED STATES (Manhattan) – September 11 – Ceremonies marking the 13th anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks will be reserved for survivors and victims’ families in New York and at the Pentagon.
Later Thursday, however, the public will be invited to tour the World Trade Center site, the first time it has been open on an anniversary.
“We wanted to take it back to the state where it was freely accessible to the public at night,” said Joe Daniels, president and CEO of the National September 11 Memorial & Museum.
“The memorial pools will be lit themselves, which looks absolutely stunning at night,” Daniels said.
The Lower Manhattan museum, which opened on May 15, will be closed to the public all day.
Plans at the three sites:
• World Trade Center. Closed to the public Thursday until 6 p.m. Traditional reading of the names of the 2,983 victims of the three 9/11 attacks and the 1993 World Trade Center bombing will begin at 8:46 a.m., after a moment of silence to mark when the first hijacked plane struck the north tower. Other key moments will be observed throughout the morning.
The program is expected to conclude by 12:30 p.m. “Tribute in Light” twin beams representing the two destroyed towers will shine from sunset Sept. 11 until sunrise Sept. 12.
• Pentagon. The National 9/11 Pentagon Memorial will be closed to the public until 11 a.m. The commemoration will begin at 9:30 a.m., hosted by Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Martin Dempsey. President Obama is scheduled to speak at the ceremony, which will observe a moment of silence at 9:37 a.m., the moment an airliner hit the Pentagon.
• Shanksville, Pa. The Flight 93 National Memorial will be open to the public all day. An observance of the crash there will begin at 9:30 a.m. with a reading of the names of Flight 93 passengers and crew, ringing of Bells of Remembrance, a wreath laying and brief remarks by former House speaker Dennis Hastert.
#AceWorldNews – MUMBAI – April 04 – Three men were sentenced to death on Friday for two gang rapes last year in Mumbai, Reuters reported.
They included an attack on a photojournalist that sparked protests in the city.
A Mumbai court sentenced Vijay Jadhav, Kasim Bengali and Mohammed Salim Ansari to death, the first time capital punishment has been given for rape not involving the death of the victim.
#AceWorldNews says a 16-year-old boy turned himself into police after a boy and girl were shot in a high school gym in north Philadelphia on Friday afternoon. Police are currently seeking another teenager in connection with the shooting, and another 15-year old who was initially taken in for questioning was later released by police. The victims, two 15-year-old’s, were both shot in the arm in Delaware Valley Charter High School.
The boy shot in the incident has been discharged from the hospital, while the boy remains in the hospital in stable condition. No motive for the shooting has yet been established. It is the second shooting to take place in a US school this week.
#AceWorldNews says the Vatican is gearing up for an inquiry over the global priest sex abuse scandal by UN committee in Geneva on its implementation of the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child. The treaty calls for signatories to take appropriate measures to protect children from harm. The Holy See ratified the convention in 1990 and submitted a first implementation report in 1994, but it did not provide progress reports for nearly a decade, AP said. It only submitted one in 2012 after criticism following the 2010 explosion of child sex abuse cases in Europe and beyond. Victims groups and human rights organizations pressed the UN committee to challenge the Holy See on its abuse record, providing written testimony from victims and evidence outlining the global scale of the problem.
The Vatican is gearing up for an inquiry over the global priest sex abuse scandal by UN committee in Geneva on its implementation of the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child. The treaty calls for signatories to take appropriate measures to protect children from harm. The Holy See ratified the convention in 1990 and submitted a first implementation report in 1994, but it did not provide progress reports for nearly a decade, AP said. It only submitted one in 2012 after criticism following the 2010 explosion of child sex abuse cases in Europe and beyond. Victims groups and human rights organizations pressed the UN committee to challenge the Holy See on its abuse record, providing written testimony from victims and evidence outlining the global scale of the problem.
What does a man gain when he considers war as the only option! These words awoke me today, to all that l can hear, but as a nation of nations, we do so much to create wars by being right, is not greed the real reason!
These wars are not just against countries like #syria or #iraq but shopping malls bear witness to people fighting over a pair of shoes, or someone wanting the only car-parking space, so war is in the blood, man is born out of tyranny, and so believes in war as the only option!
If l win used to be the battle cry of embittered generals now so embroiled in daily conflict, but now they call out, when we win, as win we will! Is this not just their ego talking, like children with words like my tank can blow up your tank, because its bigger!
So what about the gain, or should l really say the shame, the real victors are not the generals or the politicians, who behind the scene politically motivate others to follow their edict! As their reason given is for the people to be free, but don’t they know, or even care about the real losers, as theses are the widows and orphans, the innocents, whose lives are disrupted for ever! As ever more bodies of their family members continue to pile up, and create evermore displaced families! They just wanted a quiet life to live out their years in tranquillity! These are the ones who just happened to live in this country, were born in this country and hoped when they were old to die in this country! Not to end up burying their son who is younger than them, sometimes in an unmarked grave, for fear of reprisals!
So l ask, as so many have asked before! Will committing your country to war for your own reasons, gain anything for these people?
So to all those that eventually sign the edict, or agree they are doing it for the right reason, just maybe sometimes being right, is not what we should be doing, especially when being right kills so many innocent people!
So l say shame on all those that use war, as an excuse, to play the human rights card, as so many have already died in other pointless conflicts, and if some duly elected president, prime minister or misguided politician or general, says its the only way, l say #peacebewithyou as the beginning of any war, starts with being right and ends with death!