(BEIJING, China.) JUST IN: Chinese birth-control policies could reduce the ethnic minority population in southern Xinjiang by up to a third over the next 20 years, according to new analysis by a German researcher #AceNewsDesk report

#AceNewsReport – June.09: It found that under China’s birth-control policies in the region, the population of ethnic minorities in southern Xinjiang would reach somewhere between 8.6 and 10.5 million by 2040, compared to 13.1 million projected by Chinese researchers before Beijing’s crackdown:

CHINA: Chinese-Birth-Control-Policy Report: That could cut millions of Uyghur births, report finds: This [research and analysis] really shows the intent behind the Chinese government’s long-term plan for the Uyghur population,” Mr Zenz told the Reuters news agency, which first reported the study.

An ethnic Uyghur woman walks with her children on June 28, 2017 in the old town of Kashgar, in the far western Xinjiang province, China.
A woman walks through the old town of Kashgar in Xinjiang, where China is accused of suppressing ethnic birth rates

The analysis concluded that regional policies could cut between 2.6 and 4.5 million minority births in that time.

China has been accused by some Western nations of genocide in Xinjiang, partly through forced birth-control measures.

China denies the allegations, saying birth-rate declines have other causes.

The new study, by researcher Adrian Zenz, is the first such peer-reviewed academic paper on the long-term population impact of China’s crackdown on the Uyghurs and other minority groups in Xinjiang.

In his report, Mr Zenz writes that by 2019 Xinjiang authorities “planned to subject at least 80% of women of childbearing age in the rural southern four minority prefectures to intrusive birth prevention surgeries, referring to IUDs or sterilisations”.

Sharp decline 

Experts believe that China has detained at least a million Uyghurs and other Muslims in Xinjiang, and the government faces accusations of attempting to reduce and assimilate the minority Muslim population there.

Reports also say authorities have intentionally moved people from the mainstream Han Chinese population into parts of Xinjiang previously dominated by ethnic minorities, and forcibly transferred Uyghurs out.

According to Mr Zenz’s research, China’s birth-control policies could increase the Han population in southern Xinjiang – where the Uyghur population is concentrated – from its current level of 8.4% to about 25% by 2040.

According to official Chinese statistics, there was a 48.7% decline in birth rates in ethnic minority areas of Xinjiang between 2017 and 2019. 

China announced last week that it would allow couples to have up to three children, after census data showed a steep decline in national birth rates. But leaked documents and testimony from Xinjiang suggest an opposite policy is being pursued there, with women detained or otherwise punished for exceeding birth-control quotas.

EPAThe Chinese government is accused of attempting to reduce the Muslim population in Xinjiang

previous report by Mr Zenz based on regional data, policy documents and testimony alleged that pregnant Uyghur women in Xinjiang were being threatened with internment for refusing to abort pregnancies, while others were involuntarily fitted with intra-uterine devices or coerced into sterilisation surgery.

China denies making any attempt to reduce the Uyghur population specifically, arguing that the decline in minority birth rates in Xinjiang is due to the implementation of general birth quotas in the region as well as increases in income and better access to family planning.

“The so-called ‘genocide’ in Xinjiang is pure nonsense,” China’s Foreign Ministry told Reuters in a statement. 

“It is a manifestation of the ulterior motives of anti-China forces in the United States and the West and the manifestation of those who suffer from Sinophobia.”

Mr Zenz is a researcher at the Victims of Communism Memorial Foundation, a Washington DC-based “anti-​communist” organisation which describes itself as dedicated to “pursuing the freedom of those still living under totalitarian regimes”.

Reuters said it had shared his new research and methodology with more than a dozen experts in population analysis, birth prevention policies and international human rights law, who told the news agency the analysis and conclusions were sound.

Some of the experts cautioned that demographic projections over a period of decades can be affected by unforeseen factors. 

#AceNewsDesk report ………Published: Jun.09: 2021:

Editor says #AceNewsDesk reports by https://t.me/acenewsdaily and all our posts, also links can be found at here for Twitter and Live Feeds https://acenewsroom.wordpress.com/ and thanks for following as always appreciate every like, reblog or retweet and free help and guidance tips on your PC software or need help & guidance from our experts AcePCHelp.WordPress.Com

#beijing, #birth-control, #children, #china, #uighur, #xinjiang

CHINA: ‘ Multiple Explosions Rock Xinjiang – Media Reports ‘

#AceWorldNews – CHINA – September 22 – At least two people were killed and many others injured in multiple explosions that rocked China’s western autonomous region of Xinjiang, state media reported.

' 2 Dead, ‘many’ injured after Blasts in China’s Xinjiang region '

‘ 2 Dead, ‘many’ injured after Blasts in China’s Xinjiang region ‘

An unspecified number of people have been taken to hospital with injuries, according to the regional branch of the Communist Party news portal, the Tianshan.

The explosions occurred in at least three separate locations in Luntai County on Sunday afternoon.

An investigation is under-way. Xinjiang has seen unrest in recent months, with Beijing blaming the region’s native Muslim Turkic Uighur ethnic group, which seeks independence, for the unrest.

#ANS2014

#china, #ethnic, #muslim, #turkic, #uighur, #xinjiang

‘Nine People Sentenced To Death On Terrorism Charges’

#AceNewsServices – CHINA (XINJIANG) – June 06  – Nine people have been sentenced to death on terrorism charges in China’s north-western region of Xinjiang.

State TV said they were among 81 people found guilty. Sentences were handed down at six different courts.

The charges included murder and arson.

Earlier 29 “terror suspects” were detained in Urumqi on charges including inciting separatism and ethnic hatred.

Chinese officials have blamed militant Uighur groups for a growing number of violent attacks across the country.

These include an attack in Beijing, where a car ploughed into pedestrians in Tiananmen Square, killing five people, and attacks at railway stations in Urumqi and Kunming.

China’s state broadcaster described the main charges against those sentenced on Thursday as relating to organising, leading or participating in a terrorist organisation.

Six courts in Xinjiang heard a total of 23 separate cases, it said, handing down nine death penalties and long custodial sentences.

‘Year-long campaign’

The latest convictions come amid a sweeping security crackdown in the region, reports the BBC’s John Sudworth in Shanghai.

Last month China launched what it called a “year-long campaign against terrorism” after 39 people were killed when five suicide bombers attacked a street market in Urumqi, Xinjiang’s capital.

Last week 55 people were sentenced for terrorism, separatism and murder at a show trial in Xinjiang.

Beijing has blamed an increasing number of attacks on civilian targets on Uighur separatists, who it says are inspired by extreme religious ideology from abroad, our correspondent says.

Critics of China’s policies in Xinjiang point to economic inequality and cultural and religious repression as other possible reasons for the growing radicalism and resentment.

China says it is pouring money into the Xinjiang region, but some Uighurs say their traditions and freedoms are being crushed.

BBC – China Daily

#ANS2014

Enhanced by Zemanta

#urumqi, #bbc, #beijing, #china, #kunming, #tiananmen-square, #uyghur-people, #xinjiang

#AceWorldNews XINJIANG May 23 The people who carried…

#AceWorldNews – XINJIANG – May 23 – The people who carried out an attack which killed 31 people in the capital of China’s troubled Xinjiang region appeared to be influenced by “terrorist” organizations from other states, the country’s Foreign Ministry said Friday.

Spokesman Hong Lei also said that the attackers were influenced by religious extremism seen on the Internet, Reuters reported.

Reuters.

#ANS2014

#chinas, #xinjiang

` Chinese Authorities confirm that `Turkestan Islamic Movement ‘ were behind attack on Kunming Railway Station’

#AceNewsServices says that the `Chinese authorities said Sunday that the East Turkestan Islamic Movement was behind a deadly attack on a train station in south-west Yunnan Province last night, local media reported.

At least 29 innocent people died, and more than 130 were injured in the attack on the Kunming Railway Station carried out by a group of more than 10 knife-wielding people, Xinhua news agency said.

Tukestan Islamic MovementPolice reportedly killed five attackers and is searching for the rest of the group.

“Evidence at the crime scene showed that the Kunming Railway Station terrorist attack was orchestrated by Xinjiang separatist forces,” Xinhua cited local municipal officials.

Chinese President Xi Jinping has ordered law enforcement bodies to crack down on terrorist activities and severely punish the suspects in the attack.

The East Turkestan Islamic Movement, often blamed by the Chinese authorities for leading an insurgency in the northwestern Xinjiang Uyghur autonomous region, has not claimed responsibility for the attack. The movement is designated a terrorist group by the United Nations.

Xinjiang’s eight million Uighurs have complained of political, cultural and religious persecution by Beijing and there have been repeated calls by Uighurs for independence.

RIA Novosti  – AFP -RT – #ANS2014  

 

Enhanced by Zemanta

#acenewsservices, #beijing, #china, #east-turkestan-islamic-movement, #kunming-railway-station, #uyghur-people, #xi-jinping, #xinhua-news-agency, #xinjiang, #yunnan