CAMBODIA: ‘ GENOCIDE TRIAL OF FORMER KHMER ROUGE LEADER RESUMES ‘

#AceNewsServices – CAMBODIA – October 17 – A former Khmer Rouge leader branded his conviction for crimes against humanity a “child’s fairytale” at a UN-backed court in Cambodia Friday, as he faced further charges of genocide, forced marriage and rape AFP said.  

A former Khmer Rouge leader branded his conviction for crimes against humanity a "child's fairytale" at a UN-backed court in Cambodia Friday, as he faced further charges of genocide, forced marriage and rape. Nuon Chea, 88, known as "Brother Number Two", has already been given a life sentence along with ex-head of state Khieu Samphan, 83, after a separate trial at the same court in August for crimes against humanity. That ruling saw them become the first top figures to be jailed from a regime responsible for the deaths of up to two million Cambodians from 1975-1979. As his genocide trial resumed Friday, Nuon Chea spoke in court for the first time since his conviction to accuse judges of ignoring his evidence in August. "You presented a story that was simple but ultimately just a child's fairytale... you made a bitterly disappointing mockery of justice," he told the court. The ex-leader also called for the judges to be disqualified and his defence team to boycott further hearings until a decision on the subject is made.

A former Khmer Rouge leader branded his conviction for crimes against humanity a “child’s fairytale” at a UN-backed court in Cambodia Friday, as he faced further charges of genocide, forced marriage and rape. 

Nuon Chea, 88, known as “Brother Number Two”, has already been given a life sentence along with ex-head of state Khieu Samphan, 83, after a separate trial at the same court in August for crimes against humanity.

Top Khmer Rouge leaders found guilty of crimes against humanity, sentenced to life in prison

Top Khmer Rouge leaders found guilty of crimes against humanity, sentenced to life in prison

As his genocide trial resumed Friday, Nuon Chea spoke in court for the first time since his conviction to accuse judges of ignoring his evidence in August.

“You presented a story that was simple but ultimately just a child’s fairytale… you made a bitterly disappointing mockery of justice,” he told the court.

The ex-leader also called for the judges to be disqualified and his defence team to boycott further hearings until a decision on the subject is made.

They have already been given life sentences after a separate trial at the same court in August for crimes against humanity.

The two became the first top figures to be jailed from a regime responsible for the deaths of up to 2 million Cambodians in 1975-1979.

Source: 

#ANS2014

#cambodia, #genocide, #khmer-rouge

` Cambodian Court Frees Twenty Five People Guilty on Acts of Violence During Garment Strike '

#AceWorldNews – CAMBODIA (Phnom Penh) – May 30 – Latest – A Cambodian court found 25 people guilty on Friday of acts of violence during strikes by garment workers. However, all were given suspended sentences and freed, Reuters said. The ruling is likely to be welcomed by global manufacturers operating in the country. The Phnom Penh Municipal Court judges convicted the workers, trade unionists and protesters of intentional violence including damage to public property during strikes in November last year and January 2014.

A Cambodian court found 25 people guilty on Friday of acts of violence during strikes by garment workers.


( Case against 23 Unionists)

However, all were given suspended sentences and freed, Reuters said. The ruling is likely to be welcomed by global manufacturers operating in the country.

The Phnom Penh Municipal Court judges convicted the workers, trade unionists and protesters of intentional violence including damage to public property during strikes in November last year and January 2014.

(UCAN India) – The case against 23 unionists, workers, protesters and bystanders—including several high-profile activists—who were rounded up over the course of two days in early January has come under heavy criticism by rights groups who term the case political and the charges unfounded.

The court also simultaneously tried two other individuals who were arrested during November clashes that saw the death of one bystander and at least seven injuries.

Garment worker protests calling for a higher minimum wage took a violent turn in early January when an elite army unit was sent to break up rallies outside the Yakjin factory on January 2. A day later, military police and protesters clashed on nearby Veng Sreng street, where officers opened fire—killing at least five and wounding scores.

Ace Related News:
1. UCAN India News – 30/05/2014 – http://tinyurl.com/mfvse9r

Reuters – UCAN-India

#ANS2014

#cambodia, #phnom-penh

` Cambodian Court Sentences 13 Men to Various Prison Terms for Plotting to Overthrow the Government '

#AceNewsServices – CAMBODIA – April 11 – A Cambodian court on Friday sentenced 13 men to prison terms ranging from five to nine years for plotting to overthrow the government in a case that was criticized by a human rights group as a political set-up.

The men were members of a self-styled Khmer National Liberation Front calling for Prime Minister Hun Sen’s removal, primarily through Internet postings. The government accused them of plotting an armed insurrection, charging them with “opposing the nation” by “treacherously plotting” to carry out attacks liable to endanger Cambodia’s state institutions or violate its national integrity.

The defendants denied their guilt. New York-based Human Rights Watch said no credible evidence against them was submitted, and that the case appeared to be an attempt to discredit the political opposition ahead of last July’s general election.

Seven of the defendants appeared in court Friday, while six others were convicted in absentia. The seven in court were arrested in neighbouring Thailand in March 2013 and deported to Cambodia.

Judge Sen Neang said the group’s organizational documents presented at their one-day trial in February were proof of their guilt. He also accused them of setting off grenades and home made bombs. Human Rights Watch and defence lawyers said none of the evidence showed the group endorsed violence or armed rebellion.

“The conviction of any of these 13 defendants will not be proof of guilt but rather of Hun Sen’s control over Cambodia’s courts to weaken the opposition with false accusations,” Brad Adams, Asia director for Human Rights Watch, said earlier this week. “No one should be sentenced to prison to serve Hun Sen’s political agenda.”

Courtesy of AP and Contributions – Neonline – Human Rights Watch

#ANS2014

#cambodia, #human-rights-watch, #kymer-liberation-front, #prime-minister-hun-sen, #thailand

` Police in ` Cambodia ‘ break-up ` Anti-Government-Protesters ‘ Demanding their First TV Channel License ‘

#AceWorldNews – CAMBODIA – March 31 – Police in Cambodia on Monday beat anti-government protesters demanding that the country’s first opposition TV channel be given a license – RT

Several hundred supporters of Mam Sonando, a fierce government critic, gathered to protest.

At least two people were injured in the clashes, while several more were punched and kicked by security forces, AP reported.

Prime Minister Hun Sen’s government has refused to issue a license to the Mam Sonando TV Channel, citing a shortage of frequencies.

#ANS2014

#cambodia, #hu-sens, #mam-sonando-tv-channel

Panorama’s Investigation of Global Fund Aid and Obtained Leaked Reports About Corruption

#AceWorldNews says a  report on corruption involving UK aid money has been watered down and another delayed, Panorama has discovered. 

WATCH : Panorama: Where’s Our Aid Money Gone?, BBC One, Monday 2 December at 19:30 GMT and then available in the UK on the BBC iPlayer.

Global Fund AidBBC: leaked report shows alleged corruption – involving tens of thousands of dollars – was discovered by investigators working for the Global Fund.

When the final report on the case was published, all but one of the allegations had been removed. The Global Fund says it is “transparent and has zero tolerance of corruption”. The Global Fund is one of the biggest providers of international aid and fights malaria, Aids and tuberculosis in the developing world. 

In 10 years the fund spent £13.5bn and saved millions of lives, the UK government recently announced it was giving the Global Fund £1bn according to an Internal draft. One official report looking at corruption in projects funded by the Global Fund in Cambodia was published two weeks ago.

But Panorama has obtained a leaked copy of an original internal investigation report from inside the fund.

There are significant differences between what the investigators wrote in the initial, leaked report and what the official one says.

Some of the allegations relate to money sent to a non-profit health organisation called Medicam by a British charity working for the UK government.

In the internal draft seen by Panorama they were accused of double billing for staff and computers, charging more than £61,000 for consultants who were never employed and charging thousands for hotels that were never used.

Richard BiltonPanorama obtained leaked reports about corruption in aid spending in Cambodia

The leaked report also detailed how investigators found allegedly falsified documents on the office computer of the director of Medicam, Dr Sin Sumony.

In the final report, just one of the four allegations remains.

Bea Edwards, from the Government Accountability Project in Washington, said: “The fact that a report is suppressed for almost a year and then is somewhat less detailed than the original version, that is a cover-up.”

The Global Fund said that “procedural due process made this report take longer than usual” and that only “evidence that can be confirmed as fact is included in the final version”.

The scope of Global Fund investigation reports “should be limited to Global Fund grants”, they said.

Panorama spoke to the director of Medicam, Dr Sumony, who sits on the Global Fund committee that oversees its projects in Cambodia.

“Number one, we did not commit that corruption, number two, through the Global Fund support, their financial management system has improved,” he said.

Dr Sumony confirmed they were about to receive more money from the Global Fund: “This year it is over $720,000.”

Mosquito net ‘scam’

Panorama also obtained an unpublished Global Fund report into corruption in Burkina Faso.

It details an alleged scam involving an £8.3m contract that might have left two million people more vulnerable to malaria.

MalariaThe BBC’s leaked copy reveals how a company with apparently no experience of supplying mosquito nets won a contract to provide two million of them.

The company took the £8.3m but bought cheaper nets from China that had not been properly treated with insecticide to kill mosquitoes.

The Global Fund announced it was replacing the nets last year and stressed that the nets “while untreated, still give protection”.

The fund said it had “since distributed replacement nets to replace all untreated bed nets“.

It said the investigation would be published when it was complete.

The leaked report shows that the investigation was completed a year ago but still has not been published.

Panorama has seen details of a series of investigations that were started more than a year ago but which have not been published. They reveal potential fraud of £16.5m.

The countries investigated are Niger, Ghana, Burundi and the Democratic Republic of Congo.

The Global Fund says it doesn’t comment on open investigations and it expects to report on its findings.

It says the fund is transparent and has zero tolerance of corruption: “Twenty-seven reports have been published in the last 12 months. Standards of disclosure remain exceptionally high.”

Past controversy

Many of the investigations were initiated by the fund’s former inspector general.

In November 2012, John Parsons was sacked for “unsatisfactory” performance.

A year earlier his department had been described in an independent report as “the only risk-mitigation strategy within the Global Fund that has worked”.

Panorama can reveal that before he was dismissed, Mr Parsons wrote to his bosses complaining about “harassment, intimidation and retaliation”.

“Your true intention is to weaken the function, simply because you don’t like what we find and report upon,” he wrote.

Documents from inside the fund show the inspectors felt they were being undermined, saying they were repeatedly told “not to look so deep”.

One said: “The organisation, while parading ‘transparency’ and openness, in practice views disclosure of results as negative, harmful and unwanted.”

The Global Fund says it is “committed to a strong and effective office of the inspector general, and has not tried to weaken it at all”.

Global Fund for ChildrenThe fund denies it put pressure on inspectors to water down reports. “If the Global Fund saw disclosure as harmful, it could have stopped openly publishing reports. But it did not stop.”

Panorama: Where’s Our Aid Money Gone?, BBC One, Monday 2 December at 19:30 GMT and then available in the UK on the BBC iPlayer.

 

#acecharitynews, #bbc, #burkina-faso, #cambodia, #democratic-republic-of-congo, #global-fund, #government-accountability-project, #panorama, #the-global-fund-to-fight-aids-tuberculosis-and-malaria