#AceNewsReport – July.05: The Oslo District Court suspended three of the five years because of the teenager’s young age. He was 16 years and 2 months when arrested in February by Norway´s domestic security agency in the Norwegian capital, Oslo.
NORWAY: Migrant teen plots jihad massacre using poison or explosives, donates money to the #IslamicStateaccording to report on Terror Plot,” BY Associated Press, June 30, 2021:
“The court has no doubt that the defendant had, despite his young age, made a conscious decision to carry out an act of terror although the plans had not materialized in a concrete plan,” Judge Ingvild Boe Hornburg wrote in a statement Tuesday.
In court the teenager, who was not identified, admitted curiosity made him buy the ingredients to make the poison but claimed he had no intention of hurting anyone and that he exaggerated his plans to be tough when chatting online. He also confessed that he donated more than 1,250 kroner ($146) to a website with supporting the the Islamic State group and that he posted a video on how to upload a propaganda video for the extremist group.
According to the verdict, he also downloaded material on how to make and handle explosives….
#AceNewsReport – Apr.24: Among other things, there is a conspicuous lack of material and competence for rescue and health personnel who may have to assist in the event of an accident:
‘Can Have Fatal Consequences’: Norwegian City ‘Ill-Prepared’ to Welcome NATO Nuclear Submarines and are set to dock soon outside the Norwegian city of Tromsø due to a contested recent agreement, the municipality has no plans for the mass evacuation of people in the event of a radioactive leak or other emergency, national broadcaster NRK reported.
“As is said in the contingency plan, which will be ready 1 May, we lack the necessary training on everything in the plan, and we also lack the necessary equipment,” the director of Tromsø municipality, Stig Tore Johnsen, told NRK, admitting that the authorities don’t have what is needed if something goes wrong when the nuclear submarines arrive.
“We don’t plan for the entire city of Tromsø to be evacuated in the event of an incident. It is a not very relevant scenario, and not very likely to happen, so we cannot plan for it,” Johnsen said.
While the contingency plan is almost finished, this doesn’t mean that everything is in place.
“The plan doesn’t necessarily mean that we have done all the exercises, acquired expertise in incidents that may occur or other material. There are things that will remain after 1 May,” Johnsen admitted.
Earlier this year, the Norwegian Armed Forces completed a classified 80-page risk and vulnerability analysis for the arrival of nuclear submarines. According to NRK, though, the Armed Forces treat a nuclear accident as an unlikely scenario. But it can happen, and in the event of an accident, the consequences can be death, damage to health over time and great radioactive harm to nature and the environment. The Armed Forces’ own analysis shows that may ultimately be relevant to evacuate large parts of Tromsø. In the words of the national broadcaster NRK, “If a nuclear accident occurs, it can have fatal consequences for Tromsø.”
Municipal council representative Jens Ingvald Olsen of the Reds party, previously a staunch opponent of port calls by nuclear-powered vessels in Norway, is highly critical of how the authorities handle this issue.
“It is quite obvious that the municipality, the University Hospital of Northern Norway, and the police are ill-prepared to handle submarine reception as of today. What is happening now confirms what we have been criticising over the past five years,” Olsen told national broadcaster NRK.
Deputy mayor of Tromsø, Mads Hegge Jakobsen of the Centre Party, said that the position in the municipal council has been taken and that is unlikely for it to turn around on this issue.
Previously, the upgrade of the port facilities in Tromsø triggered popular and political opposition, as well as criticism from environmentalists, including Greenpeace.
Tromsø, 76,000, is the largest urban area in Northern Norway and the third largest north of the Arctic Circle in the entire world, trailing only Russia’s Murmansk and Norilsk.
#AceNewsReport – Apr.16: In this case, the jihadi was active in Norway, Denmark, and the UK. He moved freely among the three. Authorities say they believe “he was part of a group that sought to strike a church in England, possibly St. Paul´s Cathedral in London, but British police thwarted the plot….The man was also allegedly involved in plans for one or more attacks in Denmark in March and April 2019.”
Norway: ‘ Unidentified jihadist plotted massacres in Denmark & London, spread #IslamicState material in 2019 with a plan to attack St Pauls but British police thwarted the plot, Norwegian broadcaster NRK reported Monday’
Authorities believe the 24-year-old man, who wasn’t identified, was part of a group that sought to strike a church in England, possibly St. Paul´s Cathedral in London,
The man was also allegedly involved in plans for one or more attacks in Denmark in March and April 2019 with help from at least one Danish citizen, prosecutor Geir Evanger told NRK. Those attacks are believed to have been prevented as well.
The man has maintained his innocence. If found guilty, the man who claims to be innocent, faces up to 21 years in jail, NRK said. The trial starts in Oslo on May 18.
Evanger was quoted as saying by NRK that as to his involvement in IS, the man spread “extremist material, violent material and material with religious content” online. He was an administrator for several groups on social media, including some he had created, the prosecutor said, adding they consider him to be “a relatively central participant in many of these groups.”
NRK said the man had been held in custody for a while….
The agreement promotes the sustainable management and long-term viability of cod, haddock, plaice, whiting, herring, and saithe stocks in the North Sea. The catch levels agreed for 2021 are worth over £184 million to the UK fishing industry.
This is the first time the UK has participated in the talks as an independent coastal State. Throughout negotiations the UK has pressed for catch limits – known as total allowable catches – to be set sustainably to ensure the long-term future of the fisheries industry.
Fisheries Minister Victoria Prentis said:
Today we successfully concluded the first trilateral fisheries negotiations between the UK, EU and Norway.
As an independent coastal state we are committed to managing our fisheries sustainably, to the benefit of the fishing industry across the UK and our marine environment, now and in the years to come.
UK Government Minister for Scotland David Duguid said:
For the first time in decades we have concluded our first trilateral negotiations with the EU and Norway as an independent coastal state.
The outcome represents an increase in the total allowable catch of certain key stocks for Scotland – such as Haddock and Whiting.
Agreements have also been made which safeguard the long-term viability of some other key stocks such as cod.
We remain committed to supporting the industry and being a champion for our coastal communities on the world stage.
Of the stocks jointly-managed with the EU and Norway, five out of six have been set in line with or lower than the catch level advised by ICES, the International Council for the Exploration of the Sea. This results in catch reductions for North Sea cod (-10%), plaice (-2%), saithe (-25%) and herring (-7.4%) compared with 2020, but increases in haddock (+20%) and whiting (+19%).
The agreed catch limit for haddock is well within the sustainable limits advised by the scientific body ICES. This will encourage the recovery of other key stocks in the North Sea mixed fishery.
North Sea cod will be subject to a slightly smaller reduction than the -16.5% recommended by ICES. The three parties supported this approach as it would allow the stock to recover at a similar pace to that set out in the scientific advice. Furthermore, the catch limit is accompanied by the UK’s ongoing cod avoidance plan which applies to all vessels in UK waters. The plan establishes measures to support the long-term recovery of the stock in UK waters, these include ‘real-time closures’ to protect high abundances of cod and selective fishing gear.
The UK Government has worked closely throughout the negotiations with the Scottish Government and other administrations to reach this consensus.
This trilateral agreement marks the conclusion of the first in a series of annual fisheries negotiations. Bilateral negotiations are underway with the EU, Faroes Islands and Norway to confirm access arrangements and quota exchanges, where applicable.
#AceNewsServices – NORWAY – October 20 – A Norwegian researcher has been able to achieve bio-oil yields of 79% from a common kelp. Other researchers working with the same species have yields closer to 20%. The secret is to heat the kelp very quickly and bring it to the right temperature within seconds.
The sea has long been a source of Norway’s riches, whether from cod, farmed salmon or oil. Now one researcher from the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) researcher hopes to add seaweed to this list as he refines a way to produce “biocrude” from common kelp.
“What we are trying to do is to mimic natural processes to produce oil,” said Khanh-Quang Tran, an associate professor in NTNU’s Department of Energy and Process Engineering. “However, while petroleum oil is produced naturally on a geologic time scale, we can do it in minutes.”
Using small quartz tube “reactors” – which look like tiny sealed straws – Tran heated the reactor containing a slurry made from the kelp biomass and water to 350 degrees C at a very high rate of 585 degrees C per minute.
The technique, called fast hydrothermal liquefaction, gave him a bio-oil yield of 79%. That means that 79 % of the kelp biomass in the reactors was converted to bio-oil. A similar study in the UK using the same species of kelp yielded just 19%. The secret, Tran said, is the rapid heating.
#AceBreakingNews – NORWAY – October 10 – Malala Yousafzai and Kailash Satyarthi won the 95th Nobel Peace Prize on Friday for their work promoting education rights for children in a year that has been anything but peaceful.
Malala Yousafazi and Kailash Satyarthi Win 95th Nobel Peace Prize
The Norwegian Nobel Committee cited the two “for their struggle against the suppression of children and young people and for the right of all children to education.”
Yousafzai, 17, is from Pakistan and Satyarthi, 60, is from India, facts that bring added significance to the award given the tumultuous history between those two nations.
Yousafzai was famously shot in the head by Taliban gunmen in 2012, but has recovered to advocate around the world for education for girls. Satyarthi, the Nobel committee said, has spent a lifetime “focusing on the grave exploitation of children for financial gain.”
#AceNewsServices UKRAINE September 15 Nato countries have started an annual military exercise in west Ukraine, with Kiev saying some Nato states have also begun to ship weapons.
‘ Troops Depart for Rapid Trident 2014 ‘
The exercise – “Rapid Trident” – began on Monday (15 September) in Yavoriv, near the Polish-Ukrainian border.
According to a Nato statement, the 11-day drill will practice “peacekeeping and stability operations”, including “countering improvised explosive devices, convoy operations, and patrolling”.
It includes 200 US soldiers from the 173rd Airborne Brigade, based in Italy.
It also includes 1,100 troops from Bulgaria, Canada, Germany, Latvia, Lithuania, Norway, Poland, Romania, Spain, and the UK and from former Soviet republics Azerbaijan, Georgia, Moldova, and Ukraine itself.
‘ Operation Maple Arch ‘
Rapid Trident is taking place at the same time as “Maple Arch” – another Nato drill involving Canandian, Lithuanian, and Polish soldiers in Poland.
‘ Partnership for Peace Programme ‘
Ukraine has taken part in similar events since 2006 under its “Partnership for Peace” programme with the Western alliance.
#AceWorldNews – NORWAY – May 29 – Norwegian police stopped a Greenpeace rally that blocked the Transocean Spitsbergen drilling rig of the Norwegian company Statoil in the Barents Sea after two days of protest, ITAR-TASS reported.
Transocean Spitsbergen will continue its way to the Apollo well.
The Greenpeace activists claim the company is violating the ban on drilling closer than 50 kilometres from the ice boundary.
The move follows an earlier attempt to end the protest by Norwegian authorities, who removed seven activists from the same rig in the early hours of Thursday morning following a 48 hour occupation. All activists have now been released without charge.
Speaking from the bridge of the Esperanza, Greenpeace Arctic Campaigner Sune Scheller said: “We were not sure whether to continue this action after two cold days on the rig, but the public support we have received has been a huge boost.
The Esperanza is a small ship, but we are determined to stay on top of this drilling site and stop Statoil from risking Bear Island.
This company is desperate to present an image of safety, but the world is starting to see the dangerous truth behind its fancy logo. Arctic oil drilling is risky, it is dangerous, and it must be stopped.”
Seven Greenpeace International activists were removed from Statoil’s oil rig Transocean Spitsbergen after 48 hours between 0330 and 0530 CET this morning.
The activists were taken by helicopter to a police station in Tromsø but have all now been released. The activists are not under any charges.
Statoil has a permit to start some drilling operations, but cannot drill into oil bearing rock before the Norwegian Ministry of climate and environment rules on a Greenpeace complaint.
Source: Greenpeace, May 29, 2014 –
Ace Related News:
1. 29/05/2014 – http://tinyurl.com/q8bn4gq
#AceWorldNews says the World Bank announced on Thursday that it had postponed a $90 million loan payment intended for Uganda’s health system because of the African country’s new law that declares anyone convicted of homosexuality could be imprisoned for life.
It is rare for the poverty-fighting agency to make a political stand, yet President Jim Yong Kim told employees that the World Bank is against all forms of discrimination.
The law has angered western countries to the point that Uganda, already among the world’s poorest countries, has seen donations from Norway and Denmark suspended.
The World Bank still has a portfolio of projects in the African country worth $1.56 billion.
#AceWorldNews says the United Nations Refugee Agency called on the international community Friday to make itself available to the 100,000 Syrian refugees who are desperate to find a new home outside their war-torn country.
There is an immediate need for 30,000 people but as the civil war surpasses the three year mark, “there will be increasing numbers of vulnerable Syrian refugees who will be in need of resettlement, relocation, and other forms of humanitarian assistance,” the UN said. Germany has offered to take in 11,500 Syrians,
With Canada (1,300), Sweden (1,200), Norway (1,000), and other countries also preparing to accept the refugees.
The United States, already the world’s top landing-place for refugees, has offered to take in an open-ended number of displaced Syrians.